“Great Family Vacation”

Ranked #7 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Great Family Vacation”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Went here with my family for a week vacation with 3 adults and four children ages 12, 9, 7 and 7 months. The space in the apartment was sufficient for everyone and the unit came with every convenience needed to make our stay very comfortable (washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, baby crib etc.). There were 2 television with cable but wifi came at an extra cost and was only available at certain hotspot locations.
There were so many activities to choose to do at the resort or from the activity list that you did not need to plan separate for anything else. There were complimentary shuttles to and from three beaches everyday. Every night at the resort there were activities such as bingo, limbo dancing, karaoke, traditional calypso singing etc. During the day the options were use of the pool or 3 hot tubs, fishing off the jetty, games available from the club, playground for the children, gym, far away hut with use of hammocks or (for an extra cost) sea / land tours, and scuba dives. The drivers of the shuttles were all very friendly and helpful. Elvira the activities coordinator was great with the children keeping them engaged and entertained.
There is an onsite restaurant and club house so you can order food if you don't feel like cooking. This place was very serene with the only interruption being the airplanes coming in which was more amusing than disturbing. I would definitely recommend this for a family vacation as there were many other families staying at the resort and this helped for great socialization or the apartments are perfect for just staying in and relaxing away from everything.
My advice is to ask about the rentals. There are many things that can be rented but there is no list. The beach is a short walk away but it is better to use the shuttles. There is an onsite groceries which is very convenient if you choose to make your own meals. The customer service is excellent and they will assist in making your stay comfortable.
This was my third stay at this resort and I must say it was the best. There are vast improvements overall in service, the physical buildings, appliances, equipment and items. Improvements need to be done with the WIFI service and check in times. (We waited for approximately 35mins for the room to be ready) . Great stay.

Room Tip: Units are assigned based on occupancy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kimmy7000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I visit Tobago at least once per year. I have stayed at many other places on the island before and decided to try this hotel as an RCI exchange on time share that I own.

This resort is condo/apartment styled. It comprises of majestic white units with red roofs. The grounds comprise a pool, together with a kiddies pool, and several hot tubs. It is beach front and there is a gorgeous jetty on the property. The view of the sea on this property is breath taking. There are daily shuttles to the better beaches of pigeon point and store bay. The hotel is activity based which was very good for my children. They were able to borrow fishing lines to fish on the jetty and get hammocks (swinging cloth beds) to tie unto coconut trees to relax in the afternoon. There is a dive shop located on the premises with very friendly staff. There are also board games and books you can borrow to read. There is also a free computer room.

We must commend the Manager Wesley who was very polite and friendly and was always around the resort making sure the guests needs were attended to. We felt like the staff at this hotel treated us as if we were very important.

The only area of criticism I can point out is as it relates to the mini mart. The opening and closing hours are very inconsistent and you are better off taking the free shuttle to store bay to stock up on items at Jimmy's Grocer which is close by. The bar and restaurant can also do with some improvements but at this time share you can cook your own meals and use barbeque pits
outside. Also, try the local food nearby at store bay or around the general area, it is quite delicious. I will recommend cafe coco and sylvie's food hut on store bay beach.

We thank the Manager and his staff for making our experience truly enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank ElianaRG
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We just spent two weeks at this resort, the only timeshare in Tobago. We had a wonderful time which was mostly due to the staff: kind, gracious, helpful and lovely people. The resort is a bit older and needs some updating, which was taking place when we were there (it did not interfere with our stay at all). The new manager Wesley (who had been there only three weeks) had the employees updating the towels, rooms, pool area, deck and eating area, etc. In two weeks the improvements were very evident and I’m sure the next time we go it will be even more updated. The units were roomy, comfortable and had everything we needed. The activities were fun and the location was perfect for seeing the sites of Tobago. We love to walk a lot, which we were able to do to get to many restaurants, beaches, etc. And they have a shuttle to beaches further away. Story Bay Beach, less than a 10-minute walk away, had the best swimming if you like to do laps. We are scuba divers and did 10 dives with their onsite, independently owned dive shop, Frontier Divers. We had a wonderful time diving with Alvin (big Dougie!), Kim and Kyle. See my separate review on Frontier Divers. Also, don't be afraid that it's right next to the airport. It was not a problem. Most of the planes are propeller, so not too loud, and they are infrequent. Yes, it’s an older, more laid-back resort, but that’s exactly what we wanted and got, and the people especially made our stay a very enjoyable one. We’ll be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LKHan
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Walking distance from the airport and store bay beach. ..great customer service. ..fully stocked kitchen. ..entertainment at night was superb. Only negative comment is that the bath towels need a serious upgrade. It's not sanitary for guests to keep using towels that are clearly torn and shredded...In other words aged. Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simzaj
Hunter, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We found this resort to be really charming. The staff were there to great us at the airport, which was really nice after a long day of travel. They serve you a welcome rum punch while you check in and carry your bags right to your room. They offer great daily and nightly activities. Don't miss the rum punch nights. We were diving while there which was extremely convenient to have the dive site right on property. Big Dougie and Kyle were the best. Big Dougie did a quick refresher dive with us since it had been over 3 years and my boyfriend was just recently certified. He made us feel confident under the water in no time again.
The resort has a great pool and several hot tubs, awesome fishing right off shore, the most amazing sunsets, a great little bar right next to the beach and pool and a quaint little cafe right on property.
The property is the oldest on the Island, although kept up great. Our room was very large 2 story that was clean, with hot showers and great amenities. We were able to cook in the room or have the staff light the grills around the property nightly for us.You could walk to town and back easiy.
They arranged for a rental car to tour the island. Although the first jeep was a bit rough, the second vehicle was brand new and much more comfortable. I highly encourage driving the island, especially Charlottesville at the end, quaint fishing village not to be missed.
Loved every minute of our stay here. Kudos to the staff and the friendly island people.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Sandy Point although not the fanciest of places (is very comfortable and is a great place to stay with friends or family. We had a 4 bedroom unit with a full kitchen and 3 baths. The resort evening activities were well planned and fun and the variety of hot tubs and swimming pools was great. It is located very close to the airport which made transportation easy and the small plans that fly into Tobago don't wake you at night. The resort was clean and housekeeping did a good job changing out towels and tidying up everyday we were there. The food at the resort restaurant was fantastic. They make local food for every meal at really reasonable prices ($8 for lunch $12 for supper). The beach is not good for swimming due to rocks but there is a nice fishing pier and plenty of room to get a nice tan.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GreatPlainsDiver
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Prior to my arrival at the resort, I called the reception and they indicated that the Airport Shuttle will cost $10.00 TT per person. Due to flight changes I arrived one day late and they said the Shuttle was not available and I had to pay $40.00 TT for the taxi. The check-in process was fast and the resort is at a good location with nice views of the beach. However on my first night's stay there was a roach in my room. When I called the front desk asking for bug spray the security answered and said there was no one available to deal with the problem. This was very disappointing since I could not believe that any resort can be so far back in times. The front desk said they would deal with the problem. I spent 3 nights with a roach in the room and when I asked the front desk clerk on the second night for bug spray, she said I could purchase it from the Mini Mart. The staff needs to trained on customer service and how to deal with problems like this. At no time did they suggest that the room be changed. After much complaining, the situation was resolved. The restaurant is very limited in their choices and is closed on Sundays. We ate one night at the restaurant and it was the last time. We ordered a fish sandwich which can only be described as an over fried piece of crap. I don't know what that was. They probably need a new cook or maybe we were just unlucky since we were the only one in the restaurant that night. They offer free shuttles to 3 beaches. On our last day it was raining and we booked the free shuttle to one of the beaches. We were the only guests on the shuttle that day and the driver asked us what time to pick us up. The shuttle was from 12:00 to 4:00 pm. We told him at 4:00 pm. However due to the rain, we tried to call the hotel to see if the shuttle could pick us up earlier but I kept getting a busy tone. We called the driver since his number was on his dashboard asking if he could pick us up earlier. The driver never told us at any time from the time of pick up to drop off at the hotel that we had to pay $70.00 TT for the free shuttle. On arrival at the hotel we went to the mini mart and one of the front desk clerks told us that we had to pay for the free shuttle, since we came back earlier. I refused to pay since I believe the driver should have been aware of the policies of the hotel and should have informed me of the fee for early pick up. When I asked the driver, he said he was not aware either. They hotel never absorbed the cost for the free shuttle and deducted the amount from my deposit. I have stayed in hotels around the world and it was really shameful to be treated like this by people from your own country. Even the Manager did not attempt to resolve the problem and he just nonchalantly responded that it was their policy and he could do nothing about it. I repeat that this hotel needs to be trained on Customer Service. I would never stay at this hotel or recommend any of my friends to stay there. It definitely was the worst experience ever. I almost forgot to mention that you have to pay for internet that is only available at certain hot spots and not in your room. I have never seen this anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Sandy Point Beach Club? Share your experiences!