“Very pleasant stay”

Ranked #7 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
new jersey
“Very pleasant stay”
Reviewed 19 November 2008

We enjoyed a very pleasant stay at the Sandy Point Beach Club. Our stay felt like a cool summer camp experience; very informal, but comfortable. The staff was extremely friendly. One side note - some rooms have murphy beds, but use caution when lowering them. They are extremely heavy and aren't spring-loaded!

Two previous reviewers wrote about security issues at the hotel, so I took the precaution of buying small door and window alarms for the rooms. But my concerns were unfounded. The doors have several locks, and one of them can not be opened from outside. I felt safe enough that I didn't even use the alarms that I brought. Also, there is a constant security presence at the hotel. I noticed while down there that there is another property with a similar name - the reviewers may have mixed up the properties.

My boyfriend had a wonderful introductory diving lesson with Big Dougie, which was one of the highlights of his stay. We also took a tour through the hotel to Speyside for snorkeling, which was enjoyable. I wish that we would've also taken the chartered boat excursion, which received rave reviews from some of the other hotel guests.

One of the best things about the hotel was the location... it was walking distance to Store Bay, the airport, and a lot of restaurants. However, it may be helpful to take a taxi until you learn your way around the area... some places may be easy to miss.

That said, we felt that the food at restaurants were overpriced for very basic food, with relatively small portions. After a few days of experimenting, we started eating local food, which was much more enjoyable (stewed chicken, curry goat, peas and rice, macaroni pie, etc) for a third of the cost.

• Liked — Location and comfortable funishings
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jerseygirl529

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
NE Tennessee
Reviewed 15 October 2008

A very laid back relaxing week. The front desk, especially Tessa and Elvira were friendly and always willing to assist. The beach is fine for reading but not for swimming. For that walk to Store Bay, or take the free shuttle to Pigeon Point. For snorkeling the shuttle will take you to Mt Irvine. We love to dine. The restaurant on site had one special for lunch and another for dinner. Also extremely expensive for what one gets. Didn't eat there. The priciest was theSeahorse Inn. Exceptional food (The best lobster thermidor that we have ever had), and had a killer wine list.. Dined under the stars looking out to the ocean. Next priciest was Cafe Coco. Lovely indoor ambience and again, great food. Next was La Tarantula (spelling?) Very inexpensive excellent Italian cuisine, and a Wine Spectator avard winning wine list. Lastly Ru B Lees. Babyback ribs. Very informal. Most restaurants expect slacks, not shorts.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Showing its age
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mickywine
Trinidad
Reviewed 19 September 2008

I visited SPBC for a week and just got back. SPBC is small. The rooms were clean, housekeeping did a good job. However, I was very disappointed because the Jacuzzi was on the corridor walkway and open. No privacy at all. The two hot tubs, Jacuzzi and pool were closed before 11pm each night. The bar services were good and very reasonably priced. The entertainment every night was no what I expected as it featured a more ‘Americanized culture’ as opposed to the culture of Tobago. But it’s in a great location because its next to the airport, close to storebay and pigeon point beach, a cool walk to club deep, and several food places. If you want a cool relaxing time in the Caribbean, this would be a great spot. Don’t go expecting anything remotely close to a hotel experience because you will be disappointed greatly. But be informed, upon check in you are given a list of hundreds of items that should be in your room. You have to check each item and contact the reception area within 24hrs should you not find any of the items since you would have to pay for anything missing. A lot of items on the list were missing in my room. I had the one bedroom and it was cool though. The kitchenette was fully stocked with utensils etc. Towels in the apartment were changed daily which is a plus. I didn’t eat at the hotel because I went out during the day and out to dinner at nights. If you go there don’t stay at the hotel the entire time tanning. Go site-seeing and go to pigeon point beach; it’s the best beach in Tobago and #1 in the world.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TrinidadMandy
Trinidad
Reviewed 12 September 2008

After many months of contemplating, my mom decided she wanted to get married on October 28 2006, and she wanted me to organise everything as she did not want the stress, I basically had three weeks to plan and organise to make this successful.
My mom's dream was to have a wedding on the beach, so with insufficent time I started searching with no success, until a friend, who would turn out to be the driving force behind the execution of this wedding, suggested I visit the Sandy beach resort and talk to the manager there.
I must say that was the best recommendation I could have gotten.
The management team was very professional and offered all assistance to make this happen.
Apart from being able to give my mom her dream, they assisted in making accomodation available for all the attendees, with little or no effort which saved me a lot of hassle. Cost geared to meet the pocket.
The surrounding were well maintained and rooms were well laid and fitted with all the necessary amenities, and the staff very friendly.
We had the option of preparing our meals or purchasing from the on-site restaurant, located on the waterfront, and very clean, food was tasty too. For the health conscious, a gym, to keep you busy, and a pool to cool off after.
With all of this, my mom could not be happier, and all present to share the occassion, had only praise for the professionalism and organisation of the entire management team and staff.
Because of having this great experience, I have been able to refer others to this establisment with the same positive feedback.

I would take this opportunity to say THANK YOU! to all who work together to make Sandy Beach Resort what it is, and continue to maintain that measure of professionalism. You can be assured,"I will be back"

Porsche

• Liked — Secluded bu not isolated
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed October 2006
ca
Reviewed 10 September 2008

My friend and I were so excited to see Sandy Beach, I travelled all the way from Ca to experience this paradise.When I checked the price here its different, Its $100.00 ,we figured okay.The room is nice,complete with range, fridge,tv.But the aircon is not working well ,I was perspiring that night,and I got stucked by bed bugs, as I am writing this,I got several in my back under treatment,its worse.We checked out the next day.The lady who checks the room before they will let us go,ordered us to clean up the dishes and plates,she would not give her name,so I complained on the front desk,because she said they are not hotel kind,they are time share!!!The lady also
told my friend to get out of the room because we were not checked in yet,my friend explained to the lady that I am already in the front desk paying $100.00.This was when we arrived ,we have to look and see the room we are getting,so when we agreed ok,i called the front desk ,so i told my friend to wait in the room because she is so tired and its hot outside.But this lady,oh my gosh.We were so disappointed.The front lady apologized,when I reported.I need to write this down so people would know,some staff in sandy is nice too,but I woud not come back there anymore.

• Liked — it is near the airport,location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank poohCa

Travellers are raving about these Crown Point hotels

Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed 18 July 2008

I stayed at the Sandy Point Beach Club for a girls vacation in June/July. The hotel was nice but had a few strange and annoying quirks.

Our room was great. It was two stories with a kitchen, dining area, balcony, bedroom, bathroom, sitting area, and a loft. It was clean and in a great location. The air conditioning worked well.

We felt safe, there is visible security at all times.

The beach was nice and very close to our room. It was kept very clean. The pool was OK, nothing to rave about.

The hotel is right next to the airport landing strip. It was fun to watch the planes come in. We knew when it was time to get up when the first am plane arrived.

The hotel bar is open to the beach. It was a great place to hang out.

The hotel staff were helpful and friendly while we were making arrangements for our stay. We missed our first night's reservations because our flight was delayed. They were very accomodating.

They have entertainment in the bar at night; karaoke, calypso band, drumming, etc...

The quirks-

Upon arrival we were given a three page list of everything (I mean everything) in our room and we were told to go through the list and make sure everything was there or else we could get billed for it. There were over one hundred items on the list. They wanted us to count towels, plates, etc... After a LONG trip to get there the last thing we wanted to do was inventory our room.

The front desk is not open all night. If you need something after hours you are out of luck. For example when we realized we were out of toilet paper at 10 PM...

The power went out three nights and we blew the circut at least three times.

We asked the front desk ladies to call a taxi to take us to dinner and were told there was only one taxi and he was busy. They told us when he was done he had another group to pick up and then he would be here to take us to dinner. Instead we walked five minutes to the airport and grabbed one of the many taxis available there.

The hotel says you can get wireless internet for $10 US a day. They tell you to bring your laptop to the front desk so they can get your IP address. Both my sister-in-law and I did this and they did not do anything to our computers. Just search for their wireless network and save yourself the $10.

The hotel has an airport shuttle for cheap. However the shuttle only runs certain hours. Because we had to be at the airport early we had to take a taxi (we should have just walked). The taxi fare was more than three times the cost of any other taxi we had taken all week and it was the shortest trip. The driver told us the cost goes up that early in the morning.

The hotel restaurant is nothing to write home about. We ate there once and that was enough. The food was expensive and not that good. Walk next door to the Steak and Lobster Grill, much better.

Overall if I ever go back to Tobago I would consider staying there again. The quirks were not bad enough that I wouldn't stay there. It would just help to be prepared for some of the surprises.

• Liked — The location right on the beach.
  • Disliked — Strange quirks- the front desk not being open at night.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank lasvegas11
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed 10 July 2008

Just returned yesterday from this property. I don't feel that it fits the description of a "resort". the term resort indicates some place inviting, enticing, pleasant and lively. We are extensive travelers of the Caribbean, but none have so not delivered like this one. First, when we arrived and were led to the room, I had to go out on the porch - and stay there. I then would re-enter the room every few minutes or so to try to slowly absorb the shock and disappointment. The room was dark ( the walls were painted white but very little natural light, it immediately depressed me.) The room looked like a below deck cruise cabin, in color, texture, decor and absence of light. Outside had little to offer as well. The "patio" was maybe 6x6' with 2 Kmart plastic chairs and one plain plastic table filling its space. There were no "grounds" on the property, more like a yard. It was quite small, with "footpaths" 4 feet away from the patio. On the second day after maid service, my husband reminded the matron that she forgot to wash the dishes...They don't do the dishes he was told. We have to wash them ourself....And make sure all the dishes are clean at checkout (there was no dishwasher)-- for the next guests!!! The trash cans were lined with the grocery store plastic bags! On the 3rd day my husband said he didn't know what was wrong with him, but that he did feel right - sore, sluggish, etc. The next day it hit me. It was the bed!!! A 4" mattress on a wooden board....We later discovered we, along with many other guests were affected the same - the beds were making us sick and sore! The on site entertainment was somewhere between pitiful to nonexistent. The food quality and pricing were as far apart as east to west. The staff was not rude...but they certainly weren't friendly either. The only reason this web address says this property is voted 5 out of 61 on the island, is because much of what is available in Tobago is so, so off the mark. So, if you're coming from the US, and accustomed to at least decent exchange of service and experience for your money - don't visit this property. Visit another island...

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Sandy Point Beach Club? Share your experiences!