“Dishonest housekeepers who stole our jewerly..”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crown Point
Crown Point Beach Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
New York City, New York
“Dishonest housekeepers who stole our jewerly..”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the crown point beach hotel and never again. besides the location there's nothing great about this hotel. Unfriendly staff and poor management.
This hotel looked questionable when we first arrived, there were some sketchy looking guys hanging around and the hotel staff were very unfriendly. On the second day we left our room at approximately 1pm and we got back around 8pm only to realize housekeeping had attempted to cleaned our room. By attempted I mean our beds were half way made up and the bathroom was half way cleaned. Noticing that, my husband immediately checked to see is anything was missing and yes all our jewelry was gone. We immediately went down to the front desk to report this. The girl at the front desk shouted " did anyone return any jewelry? " the security came over and asked what was the problem. We explained to him what had happen and he asked to go search the room so we went.
While he was searching, I called and report this to the local police in the area who said they would be right over. The security did not find anything, took a description of everything that was missing and said he would looked into it.
My husband and I both went back to the front desk with him and asked to speak to the manager, they told us she was not their and we would have to wait until the morning. We insisted we wanted to talk to her right away so the security called her in. While he was talking to her we asked the girl at the front desk about the housekeeper who cleaned our room, she claimed she did not know who it was. She then went upstairs and when she return she told us she called the housekeepers but they didn't see any jewelry. (Of course they would say that). we were so upset at the fact she walked away and called them when we asked her not to until the police arrive. By that we became more suspicious.
Forty five minutes had passed and we were still waiting for the police to come, which the station is only walking distance from the hotel. By this time the security was going through the tape and I became worried that he might erase something so I tried calling the station again but the line was busy for a while so I called 911, Identify myself as a US Citizen who was just robbed at the CPBH and I'm still waiting for the police. They immediately took my report and assured me that someone will be with us shortly. So said, so done within 10 minutes the Sargent from CP Police station was their. He took our report and waited for the manager to come.
When the manager arrive the office asked for the housekeeping listing and punch cards. He also ask to review the security tapes and to speak to the housekeepers. the manager said he would not be able to review the tape until the morning when the head of security was there. She tried to delay everything but the Sargent insisted that this matter has to be resolve tonight. After going back and fort interviewing the housekeepers etc. they assumed that the jewelry was thrown out in the garbage by *mistake*.
How conveniently when we got outside to the dumpster the two housekeepers were already their claiming to look for it. After going through a few bags their it was in a bag by itself as though it was either just place their or for someone to pick it up later before garbage pickup. Which I believe they put it back.
After all I got back my jewelry but I'm 100% sure they stole it and put it back when they got scared. And I strongly believe that the two housekeepers and the front desk attendant were all in it together. As for the manager she just wanted to cover it all up because she wanted to refund our money so quickly and find us another hotel as though she was scared we make a big scene. She basically wanted us gone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Angel3983
cpbh, Director/Manager at Crown Point Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
It is very unfortunate that you are trying to discredit the hotel and its staff by misleading members of the public, and disappointing that Trip Advisor would print a review that is far from accurate.

You have omitted to tell the public that safety deposit boxes were available to you, but you chose to hide your jewelry in a GARBAGE BIN located in the room!!!!

When the room attendant cleaned the room, the garbage was removed, as is their duty. It is not their duty to inspect the garbage before it is placed in the dumpster.

You also admitted the above to the Security officer on duty, Police Sergeant and Management.

Whilst the Manager and Police Sergeant reviewed the security tapes, a Director of the company personally searched the dumpster in the presence of you, your companion and the Executive housekeeper, no room attendant was present or on the compound at this time.

Upon retrieving the jewelry, your companion apologized profusely and thanked all persons involved in recovering the jewelry.

It was your decision to leave the hotel, and the Manager being sympathetic to your situation did not want to cause you further embarrassment and agreed to refund the night’s charge.

Your review is very detrimental, and has slandered the reputation and character of our staff. Legal advice will be sought.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Finnish first
San Fernando, Trinidad
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My family and I wanted a relaxing weekend just to enjoy the ambiance,beaches,good food with no travelling. This hotel offers this as it is walking distance from the Airport and Store Bay which is an excellent beach.However the bathroom is too small and my room was not cleaned every day nor were the towels changed.My daughter complained of her room being dirty and had to have the phone changed as it was sticky.The location of this hotel is great,the food was not bad and a very enjoyable time could be had.Visitors can get great pictures as the scenery is fantastic.I have to say,all in all we had a great time.With a little improvement this Hotel will be a great place to stay in Tobago.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Ocean are great and a Studio Apartment on the ground floor is recommended....t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lystra G
cpbh, Manager at Crown Point Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to discuss your comments and address the misunderstandings.

We regret that your experience this time was not as you expected, and hope that you will return so we can be of better service to you.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My partner selected the Crown Point due to its location - it's a short stroll to Store Bay, 15min walk (or a short taxi ride) to Pigeon Point and it was also close to the dive outfit I was going to use (Extra Divers).
First the good. It is an excellent location with fantastic views and is brilliant at sunset. There is a bar outside to make use of the views and there are loungers around the pool and in the grounds.
We stayed in one of the studio rooms in the main hotel complex and they were always clean and the bed surprisingly comfortable.

Now the not so good. The food ranged from passable to overpriced and poor. There are set menu items (sandwiches/burgers/fish & chips) at around £5-£10 and then a buffet option £13 for breakfast and £23 for dinner. These should be avoided at all costs. The food definitely didn't warrant that level of price tag and if you'd have thought that this would be due to it being an all-you-can-eat price you'd be wrong. Plates were whipped away as soon as they were clean.

We only ate there twice - the first evening on arrival and the first morning. The evening meal was freshly prepared and adequate but the breakfast buffet (we were given no other option) was poor with some fish that was so dry it must have been leftovers from the prior night.

I have been told they are trying to revamp the restaurant and get a third party to run it... currently with no takers.

The bathroom in our studio could do with an update as the taps on the shower were threatening to fall off.

Now the bad. The service. Wow. For our stay there was one hint at a smile the rest of the time the staff looked like they really resented being there! Not even a hello. Attracting attention for service at the bar was a chore at times and at the restaurant when we tried to correct a billing mistake (only charged for one meal - we're being honest!) after one member of staff tried to correct the one responsible and got nowhere we were told to 'go and speak to the child, I tried'.

If they could sort out the restaurant give the bathrooms a bit of an update and tell the staff to be friendly, approachable, have some pride in their work and remind them they are the face of the hotel (and Tobago to a certain extent!) they would be onto a winner due to the fantastic location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Richard B
Dear Guest,

Thank your for sharing your comments.

We are sorry that you did not have a good experience in our restaurant and wish to advise the ownership of the restaurant has changed recently. When you return we hope you will be better served, and that your stay will be a memorable experience.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 18 September 2013

First I would like to say that Tobago is beautiful....... The stay at the Crown Point beach was the best. I had no issues with the room. I reserved a one bedroom apt with 3 beds in the bedroom and 2 pullot outs in the living room. Had a kitchen with all the utensils, fridge,microwave and toaster. AC worked fine, cable TV,no complaints and clean,clean.The rates are abt average for a 4star hotel in the US. The staff is a bit anti social, but are very helpful when needed. Clean pool and great beach. The kids swam in the pool until 9pm. They had a ball. This is my go to place and worth the money. If you fly into Tobago, the hotel is walking distance.... GREAT HOTEL

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Godric74
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. We look forward to you and your family returning and being of service to you.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Following a week in Trinidad, we turned up at this hotel 'on spec' looking for a room for 3 nights for myself, my husband and 22 year old daughter. We decided to try this hotel due to it's proximity to the airport and being close to Store Bay. We were given a very nice studio apartment on the first floor overlooking the sea. It was very spacious with a double bed and single bed. The beds were very comfortable. The kitchen area would have benefitted from an upgrade but contained everything we needed and was clean. The decor was bright and fresh and the aircon kept the room lovely and cool. I had to request an extra towel which was delivered to the room within 10 minutes. We were also provided with beach towels. I found the staff to be very polite and helpful and they provided everything we asked for. The lady at the pool bar was particularly friendly and helpful and always provided service with a smile. We had a very enjoyable few days at the Crown Point Hotel and would definitely stay there again if we return to Tobago.

Room Tip: No lift but the hotel is low rise so only ground and first floor - all rooms have a sea view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Kim A
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

We are very pleased that we were able to accommodate you and your family and hope that we have the opportunity of being of service to you again.
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed here with my husband and 1year old. First off we had to wait over an hour for our room with no one able to tell you what was going on. The room was clean but that was about the best thing. The kitchenette and bathroom was rundown and dingy to the point of looking unclean. The fridge barely kept anything cold and smelled stale. The AC in the room was barely working and most days the room was barely cool.

Staff were very unfriendly and seemed to hope you did not talk to them or ask a question. We asked them for a few more pillows as we only had 2 very flat ones, we were told the room staff left for the day, end of discussion. All other questions were greeted with similar attitude, no help.

This hotel is lucky its located where it is as that is the reason its surviving. I must say that they seem to be much nicer to non Trinidadians, which is sad if you cant be nice to your own people. Also I wasn't given a cheaper rate so I think TT dollars are S good as any other.

If you are only interested in location and don't care too much for service and friendly smilies stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank vanessabissessar

Travellers are raving about these Crown Point hotels

San Fernando, Trinidad
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed there with my daughter in August 2013 and we had a wonderful time. Love the closeness to the beach, yet it was private enough to allow us enough space to relax comfortably. Had no issues with any of the staff - they dealt with whatever problems I had immediately. Furniture was perhaps a bit outdated but we didn't go on vacation to admire the furniture. Bed was comfortable. Place was clean.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nisha S
Dear Nisha,

Thank you for your kind comments, we look forward to you and your family returning to the hotel another time.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crown Point
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Crown Point Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!