“Shocking "zoo" and service”
Review of Rovanel's Resort

Rovanel's Resort
Ranked #15 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I have been in Tobago this month carrying out ecological surveys on particular reefs in the North of the island with a group of 23 other people. Part of my group's flight home was cancelled on Wednesday so we were put up in this hotel.

The sleeping arrangements were not satisfactory. For a group of four people in a room, we shared one king sized bed and one single bed, 3 in one and 1 in the other.
Dinner was over two hours late and we were continually given no explanation as to why this was. After repeated asking and even complaints to the main desk, the manager finally arrived but we were still left waiting with no explanation. The worst part of this was that there were several small children who had not eaten dinner until quarter to nine in the evening.

The absolutely despicable part of this hotel was the miniature zoo. The conditions for these animals are beyond barbaric. There are monkeys that cower from onlookers with nowhere to hide, and run around their small cage in fear and distress; a parrot has an eye which bulges out an alarming distance from its head, other parrots are tearing their feathers out, there are dead rabbits left in cages of live ones; it was disgusting. When some of my colleagues complained at the front desk, the receptionist seemed to not care about their obvious neglect of animal welfare. The larger animals are in such small areas with no food, no water and are living in their own excrement. The animals are put under extra stress by visitors, for example, a dog was barking at my colleagues and I when we were observing the parrot enclosure, but the dog's barking distressed the parrots so we moved on in hope that the dog would stop disturbing them.

Staying at this hotel was an unpleasant end to our otherwise wonderful stay in Tobago.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank RCS558
There are newer reviews for Rovanel's Resort

Reviewed 23 August 2011

I spent five days with my family at Rovanel’s Resort in Tobago. We arrived about 8 a.m. and asked whether our bags could be kept until our check-in time. After a short wait we were told that we could take our bags to one of our rooms. Great! This meant that we were now free to go to the beaches. Our second room was ready in time for our official check-in time. The rooms were spacious and included a kitchenette and a small dining area. The mattresses were a bit soft but after a day of continuous swimming who cared? Breakfast and dinner at the hotel were a bit pricey but delicious.
The hotel pool was fantastic …always warm and suitable for non-swimmers as well as swimmers as the depth ranged from 3 feet to 9 feet. The grounds were extensive and well-kept and contained a riot of colorful flowers and several caged animals, the zoo.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Rovanel’s Resort.

Room Tip: Be prepared to pay extra for kitchen utensils.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank margles
Reviewed 22 August 2011

room condition poor, blown bulbs on checkin reported not fixed, gas tank empty in kitchen.
advertise shuttle, took me to pigeon point, but forgot me their. had to walk quite a distance to ask to see manager with No luck, they did not seem to care. breakfast ok. need to work on customer service requirements.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Saroop
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at Rovanel's for our honeymoon way back in 2006, but as we pass by the place every so often when we visit Tobago, and even drop in for memories sake or to use their restaurant on the grounds, I just felt I should say what was great about it then and what still is.....the service! It has not changed. They brought food to our rooms when we called on the phone in the suite to request our menu for breakfast and dinner. They provide free drop offs to Pigeon Point and Store Bay (best beaches on the island), and they come pick you back up at an agreed upon time. The owner was very friendly and charismatic, yet down to earth. He shook hands and greeted us and chatted a bit, inquiring about our stay and even suggesting menus to try. I thought that was nice.
Our room was very clean, very nice, with loungers in the balcony, which was almost completely surrounded by towering palms and flowering trees, giving us both privacy and pleasant surroundings. I could remember that there were a lot of banana-quits ( little birds) visiting while we lay in the balcony looking up at the sky. It was a wonderful place full of great memories. Great food, very good service, a lovely air conditioned restaurant with romantic lighting in the evening. It was well worth visiting, and from when we passed by it in July 2011, we noticed it has been spruced up and has been repainted. If the service is anything close to what it was in 2006, its well worth staying there!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank pragoo
Reviewed 20 January 2011

The staff at this hotel were so helpfull, nothing was too much trouble. Even the owner introduced himself and enquired if our stay was enjoyable. Lovely spacious clean classy rooms, fully air conditioned, double size shower, tv, phone,fridge etc. Children were made welcome and were really amused by the animals and birds kept in the lovely maintained gardens. Local food with very 'generous' portions (watch the calories!) buffet breakfast with all types of food. Very relaxing stay. Car hire option direct from the hotel also.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2010

We had to stay at this hotel for one night due to our flight being delayed by 24 hours. While the hotel itself was clean and comfy we were horrified at finding the "zoo" and the conditions that the animals were being kept in. My wife is a vet and I work for a large national animal welfare organisation, both experienced in animal cruelty and welfare. Even we were shocked and saddend by the conditions that the animals were kept in. Cages were small and overcrowded, no or very little bedding, access to water was very restrictive, and no stimulation for any of them. Some animals were showing signs of sever stress, especially the monkey and the Macaws. Many were in very poor condition with at least one rabbit with an open wound. The cages were rusty, many with sharp edges and held together by rusty wire and string. Whilst we understand that welfare standards differ from country to country to exibit this as an attraction is wrong. The staff need some serious training in animal husbandry, even the basics did not apply here.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Hamishthegreat
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I stayed at this hotel just last week, August 2nd to 5th 2010, and had a most wonderful time. I loved the beautiful lawns, the food and the restful ambience. The breakfast was awesome. There is a bar which was well stocked to our delight. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Just asked for whatever I wanted and it was provided. Rovanels is the best!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel
Coco Reef Tobago
Coco Reef Tobago
#1 of 3 in Crown Point

Been to Rovanel's Resort? Share your experiences!