“Trouble at Tropikist”

Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I, along with 6 other members of my family booked for 2 nights stay at Tropikist in July of 2013. Our stay was beyond terrible. So much so that we stayed one night and asked for a refund for the other night and transferred to another hotel. To sum it up a living cockroach was found in one room, the door knobs were flimsy and one family got locked into their room, the lights in the room wasn't working and hotel staff had to be notified twice over a period of time before anything was done, there was no water in the bathroom to shower which resulted in my family and I waiting for over an hour in wet bathing suits as we had just come out of the outdoor Jacuzzi. Eventually 3 of us took showers using a cup before the water problems were fixed and the batteries in both TV remotes were dead. There was also a limited selection of food for my vegetarian family members and no dessert (not even fruit) at dinner which was included in the cost of our stay. The food was overall bland. When we brought our many concerns to the night manager she and another staff member seemed entertained and smiled as we voiced our concerns. We then spent over an hour being showed more rooms that we could transfer to, all of which were of the same quality, and after nearly two hours we finally convinced the manager to refund us so that we could check out. Never have I had a worse experience in Tobago, even in standard apartments I received better service. I would never recommend Tropikist as a hotel to stay at. The only thing that we enjoyed was the outdoor Jacuzzi. For this same price we were able to enjoy the luxuries available at Magdalena Grand which certainly did not disappoint.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Kteria

Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Gotta say from a "Brits" point of view this was a great stay. Rooms were like normal Caribbean hotel rooms that I've stayed in. The service was brilliant. Rooms were services daily, clean towels every day. There was a day where there was no water but that wasn't the hotels fault.
The pool is nice and the jacuzzi is good too.
Overall would I stay here again? YES I WOULD. It's by no where a 5 star hotel but it wasn't advertised as that!

2  Thank Sussexflyers7982
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Not a five star hotel so lets make that clear " but don't be put of by this "
Very warm and welcoming staff, we paid the extra and got a seaview which is so lovely
The rooms are large clean and bright and serviced each day to a high standard
Evening meals are very tastie but very limited menu,we were all inclusive but decided to eat out 75% of the time out.lunch menu not displayed so you need to ask if you require some food.
All inclusive? .....this is not the correct wording that should be used, full board is better suited as you can only get food at set times!!!! We came back in with 5 mins to spare and you could see the staff were not too pleased (14:55 hrs and we only asked for a burger)
WIFI...........in this day and age its a must at any hotel,but here it's limited to reception which is the furthest building away from the rooms / bar and restaurant !!!!!!!!
Down side is no entertainment in the evening bar is closed by 10:00pm no snacks on the bar and no drinks menu so you can't try a local cocktail, if you have children the bar does not open till 10:00 am for soft drinks.
No equipment to make tea/ coffee in room
Location is 5 mins from the airport which is brill after a 9 hour flight, Hotel has no beach but Store bay is in walking distance and is lovely ( complete with bars and fast food)
There are lots of place to go and see so you dont need the 5 star bit the reason why we had a great time
Staff will help with any request you have, we asked Gary (Waiter, nice guy) for someone local to drive us about to see the sights instead of joining the crowds, this he arranged and the price was cheaper.
So great holiday idea location lovely people but a few bits that needs to be addressed!! An Hotel thats shuts at 10:00pm on hoilday ??
Lastly yeah i would revist the island , same hotel maybe not but did have a lovely holiday.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BMorriss
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I recently stayed at the Tropikist Beach Hotel from June 24-29th 2013 with my husband. I chose this hotel as I had stayed on business the previous October and thought it was nice enough for a getaway. However apparently there is some difference in treatment when you pay the full price versus a package deal. When I stayed for business I got a standard room on the ground floor that had a balcony and walk way directly to the pool, when I stayed with my husband they put us on the second floor which has no elevator and the hotel has no bell hop to assist you with bags. A little thing like a do not disturb sign was not afforded to me on my recent trip and on the first day, the cleaner came with towels one hour after she started cleaning, then someone came to take down an ac unit serial number and then again concerning the tv which we complained about a day before, I was asleep and interrupted each time.
The next day we were told we were being upgraded to a deluxe room because a cricket team was coming to the hotel...while you might think that was a great thing to have happen, imagine now having to move to the third floor again with no elevator and the nightmare of having to pack up and leave to get down all the stairs. Apparently if you are on a cricket team, you don't need to make a reservation at a hotel.
the deluxe room was bigger had enough outlets so that the tv and fridge could function at the same time unlike the standard room, which was a nice change, but after the second day the hot water stopped working and the ceiling fan was somewhat loose from the ceiling making an irritating noise throughout the night. I was happy for the ocean view but honestly ground floor standard room is better.
Our package included breakfast each day which was sadly the same meal each day, I haven't eaten that much sausage and egg in a lifetime like that one week. Honestly small changes to the menu would do the hotel a world of good, all you need is a chef or cook with a bit of culinary curiosity and sense of creativity.
Now I know it seems like I have complained about everything, and in reality I am quite an easy person to please...so indeed there are reasons I returned to this hotel which remained constant at both visits. The pool is really adventurously designed with small islands and a waterfall in it, also passes under a bridge. The jaccuzi is immaculately placed, if you are romantic like I am, I strongly recommend a late night visit when all are sound asleep, its under the stars next to the crashing waves and quite a bit hidden by grenery and most certainly on 24/7. The access to the beach and jettys are nice for a stroll and fishing if you like it. The place is always clean and being in Crowne Point is a plus when you want to be close to the hum of life in Tobago. Otherwise the staff seem courteous enough though none really went above and beyond the call of duty.
I would recommend a stay here, however I wouldn't recommend it for a long stay like a week.

Room Tip: Stay on the ground floor, no elevators or bus boy to assist you if you are on the second or third fl...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Urvashi999
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay immensely at this hotel. It is not plush but basic, clean and the welcome and friendliness of the staff outweigh any other minor niggles, which we didn't really have. The food is nice albeit a bit repetitive when you are staying for 2 weeks but there are other options locally. We were upgraded and the room was a good size with the most amazing views of the Caribbean Sea and beautiful palm trees. Overall, would recommend as a good, clean and friendly place to stay. The Manager, Anderson McPhee was a very welcoming and inviting host, as were all the other staff members such as Gary and Shurla. Will definitely be back.

2  Thank Sharonv1967
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I have just returned and I have to say I had a great time

Location wise was great for piegon point the beach is by far the best you pay to get in aprox 2 GBP per person but you soon understand why. If you want to learn kite surfing the lagoon is great. For intermediate and advanced wait till low tide at little rockley Bay the wind is clean.

Hire a car to see the whole island or book a few trips the northern part of the island is well worth a trip or two.

The rooms at the hotel I advise that you spend a little extra and stay in the deluxe ocean view as they a far more roomy with better views etc..

I had no problems with towels and although the room was not newly furnished the room was spotless every day

The staff where friendly and always helpful. Sometimes a little direct but that's just the way most Caribbean people are (from my experience) they just say it how it is.

The food & drink i went all in as it was a good price. The food in the evening was a little repetitive but alright. My advise is eat a larger meal at lunch at the hotel as it is cooked to order. I didn't go to Tobago to drunk loads so found the bar times till 11 most nights ok.

Over all i had a great time getting out and about and returning to a clean room with a hot meal friendly staff & and a few rum cocktails every evening. Plus a few sunsets to die for.

go and enjoy Tobago and if your into watersports its a great place to indulge and kick back and enjoy some Tobago hospitality

1  Thank rebcarx
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I have just had a really good week in Tropikist, thank you Anderson for going out of your way to ensure our stay was good and enjoyable , Anderson is a top class manager who was able to answer any questions and make sure all our needs were met. We were upgraded to a Sea VIew room!!!! Christine in reception is pleasant, professional and hard working. We were not expecting 5 star facilities, however the service most defitnitaly was. The location is good and Tobago is safe with the people friendly and welcoming, we were recommended by friends and would certainly return. Yes there are lots of Mosqitoes but we are in the West Indies, food was okay but could have done with a little more variety, overall an enjoyable holiday.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!