“Family Vacation - "Not true all inclusive"”

Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Family Vacation - "Not true all inclusive"”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We took our mum there for her birthday from July 31 to Aug 4 2013. A family of 6 stayed at the hotel in 2 rooms, one on the ground floor and the other on the first floor in the same building. We arrived at the hotel at 4:15 pm, check in at the front desk, the staff was pleasant. However we had to wait for our rooms. Mind you that rooms should have been cleaned and ready for us because hotel check in is 3 pm. I took a breakfast package and the rest took all inclusive. At the front desk, firstly we got tagged, yes tagged, with wrist bands with specific colours and secondly we were given 5 4" x 6" laminated beach towel cards to collect pool towels. Off course, the front desk made sure and stressed that if lost, a US $50 fee is required for replacement, how absurd. We decided not the take this RISK and collect pool towels right away. There weren't any at the time but the hotel's intern(Vanessa) kept 5 for us upon our return to the front desk.
Whilst waiting, we went for a complimentary drink at the bar. Our rooms were average looking but alright. The room on the ground floor had 2 double beds, and the second had one king size bed. There was only one towel in the first room and no remote control for the TV. The other room was fine.

So we got settled in and proceeded to explore the hotel's facilities. I must say it is nice. The primary pool is the primary attraction. It has a tropical feeling to it, shallow area for the kids to play, swim-up bar, waterfall feature and curvy shaped. It in centre of the pool there were plants. So regular cleaning of fallen leaves were required. There is another pool close the breakfast area that was rectangular in shape. A Jacuzzi, secretly located for privacy. A terrace, overlooking the Caribbean Sea, jetty with a shed, which you can walk out onto. There is a little beach area with sand but you can't bathe because of rocks in the water.

We had a blast in the pool. The drinks menus was limited to say the least. All inclusive drinks were to the extent of local drinks ONLY, which included puncheon, white oak, black label, carib, stag, that's all. I am no big drinker but the drinks list was disappointing. The first night we went for dinner around 7pm. Dinner is served from 6 pm to 9 pm. We had the most wonderful waitress, Daniel. She was so pleasant, had a beautiful smile and always met our requests. She took our order and we waited for 15 minutes to get food. Okay, first night, not busy, I wonder when it get busy how long it would take. Time for dessert, all the cheese cake ran out. ONLY ice cream we got. Mind you, this was a Wednesday, restaurant was not even full far less for the hotel.

Thursday we have breakfast, which was good. Buffet had a wide variety of food and again the staff was pleasant, EXCEPT for the old guy who what preparing the omelet. It looked like somebody pissed him off or probably got up on the wrong side of the bed. We spent the entire day at the pool. Lots of fun!

I had been to an all inclusive resort before and my impression and expectation of an all inclusive is unlimited food and drinks. So when I had dinner the first night, ordering food from a menu was strange, I am thinking it would be like breakfast, a buffet. Time for lunch, the next day, Thursday, we waited for an hour to get food. Staff was pleasant though. Friday at lunch was the worst, we decided to be the first to order food, yes order food for an all inclusive. No one was there to take our order. We were at the pool and we couldn't be seat at the restaurant wet and we didn't wanted to change our clothes just for lunch, so we would order and eat on the terrace. 12 pm reach, no one to take our order, 12:30pm, still no one, so I went and complained at the front desk. I am flabbergasted, how can you advertise all inclusive and no food in there at the stipulate times for meals. The waitress came and told us that NO ONE was seated at the restaurant so NO FOOD was prepared, prepared I say. Mind you thanks the the bartender then (Barry...good service) couldn't understand why the food was taking so long. Also not until after our order was taken, then they went and started preparing food. RIDICULOUS!. Dinner again was the same. waited long and ONLY ice cream for dessert.

It seemed as though luck was against us. The Saturday night we went for dinner promptly at 6pm. Seeing that is was 7 of us now, all the big tables were reserved. What-the-hell, we didn't know we could have reserved a table, nor was it mentioned to us.

I will like to thank Daniel, the waitress for organising us even assisting us to our rooms with the food because the children were cranky and sleepy.

Apart from the waiting the food tasted excellent. Though they should change their advertisement from All Inclusive to Full Board with drinks. All in all I would recommend a bed and breakfast not all inclusive. First time in Tobago and every single staff member was pleasant to me and my family. Thanks to Mr Anderson for assisting in getting stand-by tickets for my family because we wanted to stay longer.Special mention to Daniel, Barry, Dianne the staff members that made our stay great.

Room Tip: "Don't take all inclusive package take Bed & Breakfast"
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Richard R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Chaguanas, Caroni, Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Our Family of 5 stayed at this hotel for 5 days, the rooms were average but the service was the best, the staff made you feel welcome. The food was delicious but the menu was basically the same everyday, that could be improved. The pool was lovely, the children played in there for hours while i sat at the swim up bar relaxing. We did have a few problems with room service they came really late on one day and didn't even change our towels and just didn't bother to clean our room the day after.
Overall my children enjoyed the trip so i was satisfied, but they could use a little improvement.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Imtiaz M
Dorset
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Our hol was from 3rd to 10th July 2013.
Pools - While the pool with swim up bar was super the lap pool needed some care and attention (floor lining was going).
Accomodation - Our room was lovely with regards to its situation. It had a large balcony with fully opening patio doors, overlooking the ocean, really relaxing and beautiful.
Comfort - Some of the decor was tired and there was the odd missing cupboard or drawer handle, but nothing too horrendous. The bed was really comfy as was the air con.
Cleanliness - Our cleaner was great and generally did a good job but she (and some of her colleagues) did sometimes forget a little bit here and there. This was probably due to the bad management of the head of cleaning. I reckon the cleanliness would be top notch if the staff were not so overworked.
Friendliness - Just can't praise all the staff enough. We really felt cared for and at home.
Attentivenes - We got just about whatever we asked for, including fresh lemons! nothing seemed too much bother.
Food - a bit samy with regards to flavour but more than adequate if you are not looking for gourmet meals.
Restaurant/bar - very nice atmosphere, next to the ocean and pool. Knew you were in the Caribbean!
Management - really looking to improve things even further so is very attentive. The manager realy listens if you have any suggestions, which I imagine are getting less and less as this hotel gradually improves with each review I have read.
Overall, the deal we got with Golden Holidays was very good value.

Room Tip: Request an ocean view room. You will face away from the pool area and bar which might be a little n...
Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Jules S
Trinidad
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I, along with 6 other members of my family booked for 2 nights stay at Tropikist in July of 2013. Our stay was beyond terrible. So much so that we stayed one night and asked for a refund for the other night and transferred to another hotel. To sum it up a living cockroach was found in one room, the door knobs were flimsy and one family got locked into their room, the lights in the room wasn't working and hotel staff had to be notified twice over a period of time before anything was done, there was no water in the bathroom to shower which resulted in my family and I waiting for over an hour in wet bathing suits as we had just come out of the outdoor Jacuzzi. Eventually 3 of us took showers using a cup before the water problems were fixed and the batteries in both TV remotes were dead. There was also a limited selection of food for my vegetarian family members and no dessert (not even fruit) at dinner which was included in the cost of our stay. The food was overall bland. When we brought our many concerns to the night manager she and another staff member seemed entertained and smiled as we voiced our concerns. We then spent over an hour being showed more rooms that we could transfer to, all of which were of the same quality, and after nearly two hours we finally convinced the manager to refund us so that we could check out. Never have I had a worse experience in Tobago, even in standard apartments I received better service. I would never recommend Tropikist as a hotel to stay at. The only thing that we enjoyed was the outdoor Jacuzzi. For this same price we were able to enjoy the luxuries available at Magdalena Grand which certainly did not disappoint.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Kteria

Travellers are raving about these Crown Point hotels

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Gotta say from a "Brits" point of view this was a great stay. Rooms were like normal Caribbean hotel rooms that I've stayed in. The service was brilliant. Rooms were services daily, clean towels every day. There was a day where there was no water but that wasn't the hotels fault.
The pool is nice and the jacuzzi is good too.
Overall would I stay here again? YES I WOULD. It's by no where a 5 star hotel but it wasn't advertised as that!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Sussexflyers7982
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Not a five star hotel so lets make that clear " but don't be put of by this "
Very warm and welcoming staff, we paid the extra and got a seaview which is so lovely
The rooms are large clean and bright and serviced each day to a high standard
Evening meals are very tastie but very limited menu,we were all inclusive but decided to eat out 75% of the time out.lunch menu not displayed so you need to ask if you require some food.
All inclusive? .....this is not the correct wording that should be used, full board is better suited as you can only get food at set times!!!! We came back in with 5 mins to spare and you could see the staff were not too pleased (14:55 hrs and we only asked for a burger)
WIFI...........in this day and age its a must at any hotel,but here it's limited to reception which is the furthest building away from the rooms / bar and restaurant !!!!!!!!
Down side is no entertainment in the evening bar is closed by 10:00pm no snacks on the bar and no drinks menu so you can't try a local cocktail, if you have children the bar does not open till 10:00 am for soft drinks.
No equipment to make tea/ coffee in room
Location is 5 mins from the airport which is brill after a 9 hour flight, Hotel has no beach but Store bay is in walking distance and is lovely ( complete with bars and fast food)
There are lots of place to go and see so you dont need the 5 star bit the reason why we had a great time
Staff will help with any request you have, we asked Gary (Waiter, nice guy) for someone local to drive us about to see the sights instead of joining the crowds, this he arranged and the price was cheaper.
So great holiday idea location lovely people but a few bits that needs to be addressed!! An Hotel thats shuts at 10:00pm on hoilday ??
Lastly yeah i would revist the island , same hotel maybe not but did have a lovely holiday.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BMorriss
San Fernando, Trinidad
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I recently stayed at the Tropikist Beach Hotel from June 24-29th 2013 with my husband. I chose this hotel as I had stayed on business the previous October and thought it was nice enough for a getaway. However apparently there is some difference in treatment when you pay the full price versus a package deal. When I stayed for business I got a standard room on the ground floor that had a balcony and walk way directly to the pool, when I stayed with my husband they put us on the second floor which has no elevator and the hotel has no bell hop to assist you with bags. A little thing like a do not disturb sign was not afforded to me on my recent trip and on the first day, the cleaner came with towels one hour after she started cleaning, then someone came to take down an ac unit serial number and then again concerning the tv which we complained about a day before, I was asleep and interrupted each time.
The next day we were told we were being upgraded to a deluxe room because a cricket team was coming to the hotel...while you might think that was a great thing to have happen, imagine now having to move to the third floor again with no elevator and the nightmare of having to pack up and leave to get down all the stairs. Apparently if you are on a cricket team, you don't need to make a reservation at a hotel.
the deluxe room was bigger had enough outlets so that the tv and fridge could function at the same time unlike the standard room, which was a nice change, but after the second day the hot water stopped working and the ceiling fan was somewhat loose from the ceiling making an irritating noise throughout the night. I was happy for the ocean view but honestly ground floor standard room is better.
Our package included breakfast each day which was sadly the same meal each day, I haven't eaten that much sausage and egg in a lifetime like that one week. Honestly small changes to the menu would do the hotel a world of good, all you need is a chef or cook with a bit of culinary curiosity and sense of creativity.
Now I know it seems like I have complained about everything, and in reality I am quite an easy person to please...so indeed there are reasons I returned to this hotel which remained constant at both visits. The pool is really adventurously designed with small islands and a waterfall in it, also passes under a bridge. The jaccuzi is immaculately placed, if you are romantic like I am, I strongly recommend a late night visit when all are sound asleep, its under the stars next to the crashing waves and quite a bit hidden by grenery and most certainly on 24/7. The access to the beach and jettys are nice for a stroll and fishing if you like it. The place is always clean and being in Crowne Point is a plus when you want to be close to the hum of life in Tobago. Otherwise the staff seem courteous enough though none really went above and beyond the call of duty.
I would recommend a stay here, however I wouldn't recommend it for a long stay like a week.

Room Tip: Stay on the ground floor, no elevators or bus boy to assist you if you are on the second or third fl...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!