“Happy memories”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Derby, United Kingdom
“Happy memories”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We have just got back from Tobago and wanted to say thank you to all the lovely staff at the Tropikist, especially the girls at breakfast, Gary for his cocktails, including mango daiquiri and the Hulk and lovely Anderson for looking after us so well. Yes the hotel is in need of some modernisation but the location is great, the breakfasts are so wholesome that we tended to not to eat until the evening and we walked it from and to the airport within 5 mins. The rooms are cleaned daily and the grounds are lovely. We met a lot of people from Trinidad in the hotel and made quite a few friends from the UK that were on the Monarch Gatwick flight. We had amazing times at Sunday school, even though we did have a little bit too much of the rum punch lol and we went on Daryl's amazing boat trip on the Tuesday before we came home, see his facebook page - Daryls Tours Tobago - our fotos are on there. You can find Daryl either on Store Bay Beach or Pigeon Point Beach - which is absolutely fantastic and well worth the 15-20 minute walk from the Tropikist and the $20 fee (£2). I would love to visit here again as one week just wasn't enough. Anderson we would like to apologise for not saying goodbye properly but thanks to all for such a memorable holiday - Cheryl and Eileen

Room Tip: Golden Holidays (UK) get a good deal with the Tropikist and get a superior room upgrade. We stayed i...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank CHERYL D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Marston Moretaine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Hi all, just arrived in Tobago, staying at the Tropikist, wow great friendly staff, soooooooo nice. hotel not 5 star but who cares, the people and the island are soooooo laid back, great room with an amazing sea view, just watched a fantastic sunset from the balcony. will report back later on the rest of my stay BUT great so far !!!!! cheers jeremy

Room Tip: Arrive with an open mind..................... and chilllllllllllllll...............
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jmoor62
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We actually stayed here February of last year for our honeymoon. We stayed for 3 nights. The best thing about this hotel was the food. Breakfast was amazing, I love it. For my husband he loved dinner. I liked the idea of the 2 restaurants for the diff meals. We visited again in October and it was delightful. I love the bar area and the mix drinks. The location was perfect as well. The prices are normally good but I will not go in February July or august since the rates go up a bit. All in all a good experience

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Shellyannkanhai
Trinidad
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the tropikist for the period of August 03rd-August 05th, 2013. It was a wonderful experience. We got there a little before check-in, that is 3pm, so we had to wait in the lobby until our room was made available but in the meantime my fiancée and I were invited to have lunch at the restaurant. Upon returning to the lobby however, our room was not yet available but when it was, we were much pleased. At first glance I knew it wasn't the room we initially paid for as we were on the all-inclusive package but my fiancée opted that we stayed as he was already feeling exhausted from our trip and the long wait.
Later that evening we alerted the manager who in a most professional manner apologised for the inconvenience and as a consequence of their mistake gave us a voucher to return for 3 days free in a even more upgraded room to the one we wanted!
The staff at the front desk and throughout the hotel were welcoming and courteous, as the hotel's manager Mr Anderson even complimented our stay. The food was delicious, we especially looked forward to breakfast and dinner but my fiancée just found that it could have been a little more per serving.....special thanks must be made to our waitress Nikiesha who made our stay even more comfortable and enjoyable, and any problems that arised the staff at the front desk and Mr Anderson made sure it was quickly rectified.
And to our surprise, it even had live entertainment one night and also, as a plus, room cleanliness was never a problem as they were cleaned by their yet again friendly staff every morning!
I would definitely recommend the tropikist to anyone and I would surely be giving them a visit again in the future......for me I was a little sceptical at first because of the negative comments in the past but I still went since a close friend recommended it and I heard that it was under new management....so give it a try and see what joys await in the Tropikist!
Thanks to Mr Anderson and his wonderful staff!

Room Tip: The superior and deluxe rooms are really wonderful if one would like to really experience the whole...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chrystal S
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I have just had a second experience at Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort. I stayed in Room # 56 between Monday 12th August, 2013 thru Thursday 15th August,2013 . My wife, two sons (ages 10 Yrs & 15 Yrs) and myself. We had a wonderful experience in July, 2011 and decided to return for a number of reasons. The pool is #1. The breakfast is # 2 and as 15 Yr old and myself are plane spotters, this location on the approach end of runway 11 at ANR Robinson International Airport was ideal. That was # 3 and I would say the dinner was # 4. The staff at this hotel is it's greatest asset overall. I have to mention Gary, the barman who made sure that the guest in the pool were all provided with drinks in quick time.He was extreamly efficient and all the guess enjoyed his friendly personality. I would recommend more variety with the dinner and the desert (which was always one flavor of ice cream or cake). Also have more friendly childeren meals on the menu. I would choose this hotel again with what I think is one of the best pools in Tobago.

Room Tip: With small children or under fit people choose a ground floor room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Marcellino DD D
Chard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The Tropikist caught our eyes as a possible hotel when we were aiming to return to Tobago for a brief holiday. Having read several older reviews I almost discounted it until with a bit of reseach I discovered that it had been under new management and seemed to be getting better with more recent reviews hinting at better things. We decided to take a risk and am really glad we did.
Yes, some of the grounds show the need for renovation and there are some niggles but overall we loved the place and have already decided to go back next year!

I have a short list of things that are important to me on holiday and near the top of that list is the nature of the staff and the general atmosphere of a place. Tropikist had this nailed as the new manager (Anderson) has a great 'can do attitude' is a good leader of his team and is not adverse to getting his sleeves rolled up and helping his staff when an extra pair of hands are needed. Any holiday place can have the odd issue or problem to resolve but for me it is not the problem that is important but how it is resolved and the efforts that are made. The staff at this hotel were always cheerful, keen to help and very friendly which helped to make this one of the most enjoyable holidays my wife and I have ever had.

I got the impression that the hotel is working very hard to become the No.1 in the area and if they carry on the improvements and effort clearly made over the last 6 months then they will do it I am sure. They had a touch act to follow with us as the last visit we had to Tobago we stayed at the Turtle beach which cost us a lot more and when I analyse what Tobago has to offer and the differences between the two hotels then, for us, the Tropikist delivered well in comparison.

Thank you Anderson and your lovely team for giving us a lovely holiday that really was very memorable for all the right reasons ;-) We will return!

Negatives
The food could be a little more creative for sure but I like my food and the quality of what we ate was actually very good and nearly always tasty. We were AI so it was nice not to worry about growing bar bills or lots of extras building up over the week.
Its a shame that you cant really swim from the beach due to the rocky nature (but there is a sandy beach). This is something I think they could fix but it would need some investment. There are very nice beaches a short walk away so it really was not a big deal for us.
Some of the room fittings were tired but I understand that they have a refurb plan in place to upgrade all the rooms eventually and again, it didnt spoil our holiday the rooms were always clean and the beds comfy.

There was not a lot to do (no water sports for example) BUT again all available a short distance away.

Pluses
It was really nice to not have a continuous stream of beach sellers bothering us like they do at Turtle beach. This can get quite annoying and even a little intimidating sometimes (see my review of Turtle beach).
Friendly staff, a really good feeling that we were safe and did not have to worry about security for our belongings.
Rooms were a good size too and the views stunning!

Other comments
I would like to see a bit more fish on the menu and a better selection of fresh fruit for breakfast (Turtle beach and even a B&B some people we met stayed at had a much better choice, and when you are on a tropical island you do not expect to be short of fruit choice ;-) The breakfast did get better and better over the week while we were there and by the end there was a great selection of cooked breakfast including eggs done to your liking (lovely omelettes) and some bacon too.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms looked better I think
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank daFooddude
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Myself & my Danish partner & all our kids aged 13, 11, 10 & 7 stayed at tropikist from 3 July for 2 weeks & had the most relaxing enjoyable holiday. The bad reviews have prompted me to respond, it's very unfair & can't believe the things people find to complain about. Yes the rooms are basic & in need of some TLC but if you pay for 3 star don't expect 5 star. Don't see why a room not being ready is a problem, whats the hurry, its Tobago & your on holiday, we left our cases & waited at the pool & relaxed with a drink at the bar. We stayed all inclusive & I can understand why you get a wrist band to differentiate between B&B, HB or AI, it's not a problem & makes life easier. Pool towels were always available & you are given a pool card to exchange the towels, not a problem.

Drinks were not limited, we could have anything we wanted, even the kids had Garry the barman making up special blue, green or red drinks, they loved it. The cocktails were fab & the service was first class & friendly.

The food on offer was great but I would say in its in need of a bit more choice & variety & a kids menu would have been a good option to have, but again this wasn't a problem as the kids were keen to try the local dishes.

At breakfast the choice was plentiful & the chef was always very helpful & would make special omelettes for the kids & nothing was too much trouble, his english wasnt the best so maybe thats why a previous review said he looked grumpy, i can assure you our experience this was not the case. we arrived late one morning as we thought breakfast was available until 10.30 but it finished at 10am & they were clearing it away, we said we would go somewhere to have breakfast but the staff very kindly set a table & let us have breakfast & couldn't do enough to assist.

Can't believe some of the not so good reviews about this hotel, it all depends on the individual & what you expect, you get out of it what you put in to it!!! I've never met such friendlier people than the staff at the hotel & tobago in general, yes it's very laid back & things don't get done in a hurry but we found it all very amusing & the lifestyle is so relaxed. Our rooms were cleaned daily & always had clean towels.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday & yes we would go back. Just to point out also, wifi I believe is now available throughout the hotel, it was getting connected the day we checked out. The rooms are basic, the food is great but lacks variety, these are just minor complaints but the friendly staff, tropical views, yummy cocktails, tropical sunshine made it such a relaxing enjoyable holiday for all of us.

• Stayed July 2013
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!