Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Blue Haven Hotel(Bacolet Bay)
  • Pool
Mt Plaisir Estate Hotel(Grande Riviere)
  • Beachfront
Acajou Hotel(Grande Riviere)
View Hotel
All reviewsswim up barstore baysuperior roompigeon pointall inclusive dealocean frontsmall beachcleaned every dayenjoy your staygreat holidayisland tourcleaned dailysunday schoollaid backrum punchthe general managerlocal food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 October 2006

On the positive side we loved the location. Paradise like beach , gorgeous swimming pool and spacious rooms. We were on a room only basis so didn't eat eat there apart from breakfast which was a very hearty meal. However a few things were not so good. The air conditioning was so noisy that we had to turn it off and the machine that blew out hot air on the ground floor balcony meant that you could not sit there but was useful for drying clothes! The sheets were changed every day but the bed cover was so dirty we had to use it as a mat to stop our toddler slipping on the wet tiled floor. We were given a cot on arrival but they tried to take this off us (must have been lots of babies staying. Bath towels were taken early morning and were not replaced til evening.There were no facilities for heating hot water I had to go back and forth to the bar carrying baby and bottle.Overall the hotel lacks good management as it is in a beautiful location and has lots of potential.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank manchestercarib
Reviewed 26 September 2006

My husband, baby and I stayed at Tropikist and had a horrible experience. Firstly, the cost for the all-inclusive package which we received over the phone differed greatly from what we were told when we checked in. Secondly, the first room which we were given was dirty, (the drapes were mouldy and the floor very dusty). The toilet also did not flush properly and the a/c leaked onto the bed. We complained and were moved to room no. 2. Everything seemed ok in this room, until the a/c conked out at 11 pm on our second night. We all had to sweat it out, since opening the doors allowed huge mosquitoes in. We complained again. A technician was sent the next day. The a/c seemed fine, worked well during the day and again conked out at around 9 pm on our third night. We had to move yet again to room no. 3. Everything in this room worked well thankfully. Overall, Tropikist has a lot of potential, however, the hotel is not being properly maintained. It also seems that Management is running the hotel on a skeleton staff so there are never enough persons to clean regularly. I will not stay at Tropikist again and I certainly will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

5  Thank RacquelW
Reviewed 20 September 2006

We have just returned from a week in Tobago, stayed at the Tropikist, and from the moment we arrived, we were made to feel very welcome by the management and staff. I had read some reviews of unpleasant experiences but these were unfounded.

The rooms were an excellent size (we were on the third floor), two double beds, lovely balcony overlooking the pool. Rooms were cleaned every day to a perfectly acceptable standard. The only thing I would advise is take your own bath towel, as the ones supplied are small. However, the pool towels are fab, so no need for beach towel.

The location is excellent, travel brochures report 'some' aircraft noise but quite honestly the amount of flights that come into Tobago, this is hardly a problem. The private beach is non-bathable but very pretty. Store Bay is a short walk away, but I can strongly recommend Pidgeon Point which is a short taxi drive away, you have to pay 18TT to get onto this beach but this is definitely worth every penny.

Breakfast is great, with something for everyone. Lunch is also good and a la carte, so you are not eating last nights dinner. Dinner is a la carte most nights, and was always beautifully presented and plenty of variety. I was pleasantly suprised with the speed of service for food (no different to anywhere else). Bar service was sometimes a little slow but nothing to complain about. Order your second cocktail as your start your first one!

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff there. Do not bother taking hair straighteners, especially GHDs as the electricity can not create that power. Please please take 'Citronella' and put it in your suntan lotion and aftersun, this was the only thing that stopped me getting bitten.

If you are going to book trips, try to use Rubern, fantastic guy, and will not cancel trips due to weather or shortage of people. The taxi driver who bases himself at the hotel was also excellent. We visted Tobago during 'rainy season' but had 6 days of beautiful sunshine, and 1 day of scattered showers.

A friendly and very safe hotel and island, excellent experience, would definitely return to both Tobago and the Tropikist. Excellent Value.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
11  Thank iwishiwasaprincess
Reviewed 9 September 2006

Just returned from the Tropikist today and had a fabulous time. Felt that my priority upon returning home was to give this hotel a rave review.
After reading reviews on this site before going I was nervous about what we were in for especially since we were travelling with a small child. However, we found that the staff went over and above throughout our entire stay. The hotel itself was gorgeous and the view was fantastic.
I strongly recommend that anyone travelling to Tobago consider the Tropikist hotel. It is a great price, located in a beautiful setting and has some of the nicest people I have ever met.

8  Thank darns
Reviewed 4 September 2006

Planned visit 12 – 24th August
Actual visit 12 – 14th August.

Prior to booking this holiday, we took out brochures from travel agents and read the reports from the Internet. We were impressed with what we saw, however we did have slight reservations concerning the reports we read which stated that there was some reluctance to offer all-inclusive standards. I telephoned to confirm that the resort was indeed all- inclusive and offered what it said.
Following confirmation went ahead and booked the resort.
On arrival, the receptionist staff were very welcoming and helpful.
The layout of the resort was very pleasing and the rooms were clean and spacious.
I have to point out a this stage that there was no tourist information in the reception area regarding trips or places of interest, when we asked about trips, we were told that there was now where to go.
The resort had two restaurants; one was used for breakfast only and the other for lunch and dinner.
Saturday evening on our arrival we were surprised to find that there were no buffet facilities as one would find on an all- inclusive package. The food was served for you as you queued up, the menu was barbequed chicken with vegetables and rice, you were permitted to help yourself to the vegetables and rice but it was only in one serving dish.
I was given a very small breast portion and when I asked for more I received a disapproving look from the head chef who was serving and was given ½ drumstick.
At breakfast the next morning the breakfast restaurant was again not a buffet, the only thing that you could help yourself to was toast and tea or coffee. I asked for two fried eggs, which were cooked in front of you, and some bacon, which was again served to you, I asked for some more bacon and was once again given a disapproving look and given 1 rasher.
I went and got a second breakfast because I was so hungry.
Lunch a waitress service in the bar restaurant, the general waiting time for service was anywhere between 40 – 50 minutes, this was for burgers or chicken.
Dinner was once again served to you on the Sunday evening, this time it was curried chicken with rice and vegetables or lamb, and once again the portions were the size of children’s. My wife asked if there was any pudding and the answer was no, 10 minutes later I saw ice cream being served, when I challenged the restaurant staff they said with displeasure that ice cream was not a pudding.
At breakfast on the Monday morning the catering staff had become wise to people having two breakfasts because they were so hungry, they had now removed the egg cooking facility and you were requested to give your room number and what type of egg you wanted, you were not permitted two of anything, my daughter asked for a fried egg and a scrambled egg, she was told she was only allowed one. The hot water facilities were not working and the staff once again gave disapproving looks when you asked for hot water for tea.
The office manager was sitting outside the breakfast restaurant eating his breakfast as guests were queuing, his breakfast looked rather appetising, however, this member of staff did not even have the courtesy to say good morning to the guests.

In the brochures, it state that the Tropikist had a swim up bar, this was indeed the case but there were no facilities and no equipment, when asked the staff said it will not be opened at all.
There was no entertainment at all, when asked about this the staff said that the disco had broken and it will not be used at all.
Drinks were another story; I understand that the conditions of most all-inclusive resorts state local beers and spirits, this varies as to the rating of the site. The Tropikist however, was very inconsistent; one day you were allowed a cocktail and the next it was not in the all-inclusive package. One lady was drinking Mud Slides at lunchtime only to be told in the evening that they were not in the all-inclusive package.
There were no water sports available, I do understand that the brochures state that the beach is 2 minutes walk but all water sports have to be paid for. I do understand that motorised sports are always charged for but there was nothing here, not even any information.
We asked to see the manager repeatedly but was told he was on business in Trinidad and there was no one else.
All of the guests at this resort were complaining, one couple could not wait to go home it was their first experience of all-inclusive Caribbean and I would suspect the last.
There was no 24 our reception, from what we could see and no information for emergencies, there was no information in the room either.
Towels are provided but there is a sign on the reception desk saying that if towels are returned after 6PM there will be a $20 fine, not very friendly we thought.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank wtcm