“Perfect for Limeing”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Dublin, Ireland
“Perfect for Limeing”
Reviewed 28 November 2007

Read many reviews beforehand and was pleasantly surprised. Resort was of high quality for the area. Staff were helpful and cheerful, particulary the Social Director who helped organise some great day trips. The Off Road Jeep Safari and Glass Bottom Boat to Bucco Reef and Nylon Pool were highly enjoyable. The waiting/bar/restarant staff were efficient and delighfully cheeky. And I loved the smiles I always received from the porters/bell hops every time I passed thro the front entrance.
Breakfast was a culinary delight with increadible variety, something to suit everybodies taste and lots of it. I was only on B&B so cant comment on other meals.
Stayed in one of the Villas which was always kept clean and cool with surprisingly few mosquitos. Bathroom suite and kitchen area outdated, not up to modern standards, but hey Man, its Tobago! it was still better than expected.
The Tropical Gardens and landscaping were beautiful and impeccablely kept.
I never used the pool or gym facilities but with the warm Caribbean waters gently lapping up the white sand (from Guyana I believe!) was all that was required. To 'swim with the fishes' takes on a different meaning here. Snorkling equipment, boards, canoes and small sail boats are available free of charge. So much to do but sometimes all I did was sip a cool Carib and just enjoyed some Limeing.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — shower
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
9 Thank Carotini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Florida
Reviewed 12 November 2007

The resort had average service in a great location (Tobago is a beautiful island with nice locals). We did not have any great problem with it until they did not honor their written quote. We were quoted a rate of $3000 TT and were charged $3100 TT. Although this is a minuscule amount, it is important for businesses to keep their word. They gave us every excuse in their repertoire and refused to make things right. A free ride to the Airport (which is a short walk away) or free drink would have sufficed (we are not unreasonable people).

Here are some observations of interest:

We enjoyed the artwork around the resort.

Pan (Steel Drum) band was good entertainment.

The food at both restaurants (Tamara’s and Bacchanal’s) was overpriced for the average quality.
A short walk or Taxi ride will save you on quality and price.

The attendants used the same cart to move trash as they did luggage. Do not let them move your luggage on their trash carts.

Local calls are not free. Their charges for this are outrageous. This service is free at other resorts.

The resort is small. After a long day touring Tobago, horrible karaoke quality singing entertainment will keep you awake while you try to rest for the next day.

Overall, I would rather spend my money at a resort that will live up to their quoted price. I will return to Tobago soon but will not stay at Coco Reef again! They did not do the right thing by this customer and I wonder if they do these types of things to many others.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — They did not honor their written quote.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Freq-Caribe-traveler
LONDON
Reviewed 21 October 2007

Just returned from Coco Reef. My wife & I had a truly wonderful holiday. The staff were about the best we have found anywhere we have travelled in the world without any of the ' hand out for a tip' culture experienced in most of U.S.A.
There are always people who complain about everything, for them it would not be a holiday without complaining. At Coco Reef you get what you pay for and in our opinion a whole lot more besides.
Additionally Tobago itself was a pretty special place for a holiday.

Stayed September 2007
14 Thank JohnSLondon
Reviewed 8 October 2007

Lovely resort. Rooms were very nice as so was the staff. Food was very good under the eyes of head chef kenneth Thomas.
Had no trouble getting a table in the two restaurants at night. Went to dinner at nine o'clock a couple of nights and the restaurant was very quiet.
Best bit is the private beach area. plenty of loungers and sun shades. with it's breakwater, it makes it fab to swim in. That's why you hardly saw anyone round the pool.
Went all inclusive and it is expensive for the standard of the hotel. If you go room only there are eateries outside the resort that are much cheaper and food is good.
All in all I had a great time I wish I stayed another week.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
15 Thank freddie555
Cambridge
Reviewed 3 October 2007

What can I say, Ignore the bad reviews, this hotel was amazing. Ok so its not ultra modern and has a small gym however it has what counts.
It is the small personal touches that make this hotel special. The lady that brings around fresh fruit on the beach, the drinks service on the beach brought straight to your lounger, the detail in which the maids give your room including the nightly turn down service.

The staff were so friendly and if you engage them you will be rewarded with charming smiles and a good sense of humour.

The hotel and its grounds are the most picturesque I have seen. It is obvious the staff of this hotel take a great deal of pride in their work.

We found the food to be of excellent quality and one of the most comprehensive and varied lunch buffets I have come across in the carribean. We loved the A la carte meals in Tamarras. The drinks were also of good qaulity and not at all watered down, quite the opposite actually.

We also got married at this hotel and the social director Kevah and Kename where the most amazing ladies! They made our wedding day the most beautifal and amazing day of our lives. Nothing was too much trouble and they far exceeded our expectations of what the day was going to be like. We travelled out as a group of 16 and it was never too much trouble for them to create a table large enough for us at meal times.

Our best man fell and cracked his head open one night and the care he received and then the follow up calls to check on his welfare were sweet. His falling was entirely his own fault of course.

I will definately return to this hotel as it ticked every single box for us. We love you Coco Reef!

• Liked — It was spacious, pretty and very clean.
  • Disliked — There wasn't anything I didin't like
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
14 Thank CambridgeSunseeker
Reviewed 1 October 2007

This is the first time I have felt driven to write a review like this. Suffice to say that our experience of the Coco Reef was as pleasant as pulling teeth (minus the anaesthetic).

Let me start by setting the context. I have previously stayed at hotels like the Columbia Beech and Anassa in Cyprus or the Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort in Portugal. All of these are outstanding hotels - great service, great food, great facilities, great location. Not the cheapest in the book but you get what you pay for.

And that's the problem with the Coco Reef, you just don't get what you pay for. At best I would give it a 3* and for some that may be fine because with all of these reviews it depends on what you are used to.

We payed about £8500 for a family of 4 including premium economy flights. My wife calls me tight but to me that's alot of money for something that isn't going to leave you with that 'great memories' holiday.

And so to the detail. Firstly the rooms. We had a two room suite which reminded me of my local Travel Lodge with a caribbean slant. The bath was tiny and the shower poor. I love coming home from a hard day at the poolside and have a long soak with Molton Brown bathing products. I tend to avoid bathing in 6 inches of luke water with soap from the camping shop. And the beds, oh the beds. Let's just say that they've seen a little too much action over the years and need sending to wherever beds go when they pass their sell by date.

The food was OK, which for some people is, well...OK. The 'fine dining' restaurant was slightly better but wouldn't serve kids meals. We were therefore stuck eating in the buffet every night which was, well...OK. We ended up getting a pizza takeaway from the next door pizzaria, not something I relish in an all inclusive holiday.

The service. Hmmm. Was it something I said? Is it the way my face falls? No, seems to be the same for everyone. The beach bar service was comically shocking. Getting served on the beach a challenge and getting a smile was at best a 50:50 thing if I'm being generous.

We asked to be flown home at the earliest opportunity. Instead the very helpful rep relocated us to the Jalousie Plantation in St Lucia and guess what? Outstanding. Enough said.

And if you think it's just me? We relocated to St Lucia with a lovely family who were going through exactly the same trauma as us.

And lastly, if you are going in August make sure you avoid the 'Great Race' boat race from Trinidad to Tobago. We had non-stop banging music for about 4 days from huge speakers on the beach next to the hotel.

• Liked — The exit
  • Disliked — The entrance
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
16 Thank Bellamore
Reviewed 15 September 2007

I cannot believe some of the bad reviews written about this resort. My Husband and I spent our honeymoon here in August and could not have been treated better. The staff were always courteous and polite and ready to help with anything. We were probably fortunate to receive a free room upgrade to a suite which did admittedly enhance our enjoyment. The beach facilities were excellent and the all inclusive package we were on created a completely relaxing, fuss free holiday.

• Liked — Room upgrade and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Fixtures need upgrading
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Coco Reef Tobago? Share your experiences!