“Nice place but they need to play catch up”
Review of Coco Reef Tobago

Coco Reef Tobago
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Hampshire, England
“Nice place but they need to play catch up”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Stayed here on one of our trips to Tobago. We have friends that live here so have been over quite a few times
I love the island and the spirit of the people.
The beeches are lovely and the weather is usually brilliant for what we want.

The hotel in general needs to play catch up with the times and invest some money into the decor - it's simply dated and does not represent value for money.

If the price of flights were "not out of this world" then we would go to the Island more often.

Room Tip: If you go on the basis of not expecting a 5 star then you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Nathan T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
Dorset
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Going back was like visiting an old friend. When you first see them, they look a little older, perhaps a bit more scruffy, but after a day or so you don’t notice any of this and settle back into the old comfy relationship.

This is the place to come if you really want to chill. If you are expecting a boutique-style hotel with beige and brown furnishings and six co-ordinating cushions on the bed, you will be disappointed. All the furnishings are chintz flowery and wicker – totally what I expect from the Caribbean. There was a kettle etc in the room, a big wardrobe, lots of drawer space, huge bed, fridge, safe, TV with enough English speaking channels so you could watch a film or drama occasionally.

The gym had a couple of treadmills, a crosstrainer, a bike and several of the weight/strength type machines. The sea was warm to swim in at 8 am in the morning. Breakfast was buffet style, fresh fruit, cold meats, croissants, bacon, sausage, etc and someone cooking eggs to your order. The sunbeds don’t have thick mattresses on them but are nevertheless still comfy and moreover there are plenty of them and lots of thatched umbrellas for shade. Lunch was a great mixture, fish or meat grilled to order, salads, chips, cold chicken, other meats, macaroni cheese, rice, pasta (generally enjoyed with an ice cold beer or two) followed by yummy puds and ice cream.

We always make a point of being friendly to the staff and we find that they are, almost without exception, friendly and helpful back. As we were ‘returners’, we were treated very well indeed with little extra treats in our room and could have had a room upgrade if we had wanted but we loved the view from our room (322) so decided to stay put.

A small downer was the evening menu choice. I am not a great lover of fish or seafood and the starter choice in particular was often 4 different fish/seafood starters and one other such as chicken livers – nothing very appealing. Main course had slightly more choice but the quality of the meat was rather hit and miss. Luckily we mentioned this to Natricia (the excellent Virgin rep) and she gave us vouchers to eat at Café Coco. This is a few minutes’ walk from the hotel and is owned by the same people. The choice there is rather more varied even including things like pizza so much better for children as there is no children’s menu at Coco Reef.

To sum up, an excellent place to kick back, do nothing and completely relax but don’t go if you expect perfection over charm. Those of us who love the place aren’t keen on listening to the perfectionists continually moaning about little trivials!

Room Tip: First floor down Store Bay end give the best seaview.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank kpdorset
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Upon my arrival at Coco Reef during the Easter week (spring break), I thought this hotel was going to be high end. I was truly disappointed. The concierge/hotel area is very humid and lack a serious upgrade. When I registered online I requested a garden view, so they gave me room 605! UGH! What a horror. First the rooms are old with substandard accommodations. The so called garden is nothing but a bunch of old trees with someone's house and backyard on other side. Being from NY - I did not want to hear or smell someone else's noise or food.

I requested a room change and give a room with a balcony on 2nd floor. The view was better, however, the rooms still are the same. Very dark and outdated. Anytime you turned on the bathroom light, the freaking vent made a lot of noise and to flush the toilet, was another hassle. My son and I didn't want to touch anything in that room.

The beds and pillows need replacing and who the heck design a room with the A/C directly above your head! The tv was outdated as well with very limited channels.

The food was not worth the all inclusive price we paid and my son and I couldn't wait to leave. We were to stay the entire week, but we had enough and for the money Coco Reef charge we left after one night! Thank God the Magdelena Grand had vacancies and my son and I enjoyed the rest of our time in Tobago there.

I will not go back to Coco Reef and I made sure to tell the manager in a nice way the hotel is old and food sucked. Also, I do not see how this hotel ranked with almost 4 stars which I gave it 1 star. The only good thing, Coco Reef is literally 2 minutes by car from airport.

The above is all true, I'm not a disgruntled traveler. I want what I paid for and Coco Reef couldn't meet my qualification. If you are looking for a nice resort in Tobago, I recommend Magdelena Grand. The pool, rooms and staff were just great! It's about 12 miles from airport!

Room Tip: There's not good tip in getting a good room.
9 Thank Tina G
New York
Reviewed 17 April 2012

My visit was quick and short. I felt like this hotel is over priced. It's not worth the price of $300 US per night with no Wifi or internet. An unlimited internet pass is $50US and it does not work in the rooms only in the main lobby. We were only told this after purchasing the pass. Even in the lobby area the connection was very poor. This hotel needs a serious upgrade. Overall the staff were very pleasant but it's not work the money.

Also we didn't get a good nights rest because the AC was right over our heads and the cold air was very uncomfortable. We were also told that their was live entertainment at night. It was more like dead entertainment.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't book you for the main building on the first floor! Too much activity, when...
2 Thank Kathy P
Banksia Beach, Australia
Reviewed 17 April 2012

It took staff 4 hours to check us in, even though we had booked over a month ahead for my partner's birthday. Every time we asked we were told just a little longer so we wasted 4 hours.

Reminded me of an English holiday camp in the 50s, especially breakfast. Everyone "having fun". Service was slow to non existent.

The best part was Ruben the driver the hotel arranged to pick us up form the airport. He charged us a very reasonable rate to show us the sights. A friend of mine recently went to Tobago and hasn't stopped raving about Ruben.

Food was OK, the setting was nice but look out for what they call an "ocean view" room.

Overpriced and there are a lot better.

Room Tip: Our ocean view room landed us on the ground floor near the pool...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank thehorrorthehorror
New York
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Don't think of going Easter weekend. The hotel is surrounded by public beaches on either side. A party boat from Trinidad docked close enough to hear it's music blasting all weekend long. Competing music from every direction. As another reviewer made note of, hundreds of birds spend 3 months handing out on the man made jetties. After a number of days, you begin to tune it out. But the water was rough the first few days, washing bird poop into the shallow waters of the resort.
The room design made no sense. The air conditioners were directly over our bed. It was difficult to deal with the cold air blowing directly at you. To flush the toilet, you had to hold the knob for a long time, until the water emptied. The mattress was old & sloped towards the center.

This is the best hotel on the island. That's not saying much for Tobago. The southern tip of the island is quite flat. The beauty of the Caribbean water was taken away by the man made jetty that surrounds it's beach.& liimits one's view of the sea. It makes for extremely calm waters. Good for very young children.

Water sports was limited by broken oars. Don't understand how there were not enough oars for the existing boats.

Coral gardens & visiting the nylon pool was worth while. Snorkeling was good. I saw fish, I had never seen before. But snorkeling onsite at the resort was not worthwhile.

Peter Cox was overrated. 11/2 late for meeting to plan out trip. Raised his price structure, once we met. Didn't argue with him. But resented when he came 1/2 late for 7:30 pick up, and excused his lateness for being up all night on a turtle siting trip the night before. He was talented with his bird calls. Our son did enjoy his time with him.

The food was very good. The staff was very nice. The formal & informal dining were closed on various nights. Had to wear long pants to dine, when the informal dining space was closed.
Unlike many resorts, the beach did have waiter service.

Hard not to enjoy being in the Caribbean. But there are far more special places to visit.

8 Thank WellTraveledNewYork
Trinidad
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Great for a family vacation.
Great food.
Great Staff.
After spending two horrific all inclusive nights at another resort, we booked the remaining day and a half at this resort. They were most accomodating despite our abrupt booking of 5 adults and three kids.
We do plan on going there again.
I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Coco Reef Tobago? Share your experiences!