“Fantastic!!!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Couva, Trinidad
“Fantastic!!!”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

After a terrible experience at the Magdalena Grand Beach Resort, I checked out early and walked-in Coco Reef Hotel. To my pleasant surprise, it was just fantastic and my vacation just flew by. Up to an hour before check-out I was considering foregoing my confirmed return ticket and taking my chances with Stand-by on another day. But I pulled myself together and promised myself I am returning to Coco Reef soon. With more relatives and more time to spare.
Above everything, ALL THE HOTEL STAFF catered to me in every way. Everyone, without fail. Even a maintenance personnel! Each and every member of staff went above and beyond what I would even consider to be their duty. Eg Room Service brought food to my room and on their own accord realised that I forgot to order drinks and brought the same drinks I was drinking previously (complimentary). The day of my check-out, a bell-man took my belongings (water paraphernalia) when I was leaving the beach and told me that I could collect it at check-out to lighten my load to the room. One rainy afternoon, the beach waitress remained on the beach with my small party and offered to check the swim shop for free beach shoes for my son. I can go on and on about many interactions I had with the staff on an outstanding level. This is my standing ovation to everyone at Coco Reef. Thank you for making my stay wonderful.
Secondly, the activities and the food tie for second place. You have night entertainment, beach, reef, the pool. A casual walk to the lobby is a real entertaining stroll for children. Breakfast with the birds is a treat for kids. Swimming among fishes that are brave enough to eat from your hand if you dare. The swim shop has a lot of water activities. I rented a car and it was just a waste. It remained parked in the lot. A walk out of the compound is just beautiful.
The price you pay, it is well worth it. You feel like royalty.

Room Tip: I think the people at front desk just give you the best for your needs.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Fazia K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I've been to Tobago many times, but this was the first time I've stayed at Coco Reef and from my wonderful experience, I can say, it won't be the last. The staff was extremely helpful, pleasant and went out of their way to make the experience enjoyable. The hotel itself could use a little updating, but overall there was nothing to complain about. The buffet breakfast at Tamara's was very good and had a wide variety to choose from, including local cuisine, which is always a plus. The private beach located on the property was beautiful, calm and serene and very nice to go swimming in. The hotel itself is located in an area where everything is walking distance, including the airport. Overall, the experience there was top class and comparable to many highly classed hotels which I have been to in the Caribbean. This was the best experience I've had at any hotel in Tobago and I dare say Trinidad and Tobago

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Shivana P
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Just returned from an all inclusive holiday at the Coco Reef Resort.
One of the advantages of this resort is that it is only a 5 minute drive from the airport, so shortly after arriving, you can be sitting on the beach with a cocktail in your hands! Although in close proximity to the airport, you are not troubled by any aircraft noise.
We visited at the end of the rainy season, and had some rain on most days, but this did not bother us, after all, it was warm rain!!
As many other reviews have stated, the rooms are quite dated, and the bathrooms in particular are in need of some attention. However, we found the rooms to be very clean and spacious.
Anyone expecting this hotel to be furnished to the standard of a Marriott will be disappointed, so this hotel not would not be for you.
We had a problem with our air conditioning one night so reported it when we went to dinner, not expecting it to be fixed until the next day, however , on returning to our room later that evening , the A/C had indeed been repaired...... Good service!
Evening entertainment is again, very low key, so if you are after night-life, again, this hotel would not be for you.
We found the a la carte meals to be of a very high standard, however, the buffet meals were not of the same high standard. This sort of left us wondering why they served a buffet style meal in the evenings. Plenty of choice for breakfast. Lunch in the beach bar was acceptable.
We found the staff to be very friendly, especially the girls serving drinks on the beach!
The private beach / lagoon were ideal for relaxing, and another bonus is that you are not bothered by any sellers on the beach. Never a problem getting a sun lounger. Beach towels are supplied, but as with the bathrooms, some of these are looking a little threadbare and could do with being replaced.
All in all, would we return to this resort..... yes.

3 Thank debsmurray19
Woking,UK
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My wile and I returned home yesterday after a super all-inclusive week at Coco Reef flying non-stop with Monarch which was excellent albeit in a half-empty plane We opted to walk from the airport which took us 11 minutes.Before our holiday we wondered if the hotel would suffer from aircraft noise but we needn't have worried. We stayed in room 230 which was very clean and in a lovely position overlooking the lagoon. Meals were very good, maybe 8 out of 10;always a good choice and served by the friendliest of staff. The private beach and lagoon were ideal for a relaxing time and we strongly suggest a trip in Zoe the very comfy and fast speedboat. If provisions are needed there are shops just outside the gate. A hire car took us around the island in a day with plenty of stops en-route, the Caribbean side has gorgeous bays for photoshoots.
On the negative side I don't think one should have to pay for internet use in the lounge and the furnishings are a little tired.
We strongly recommend this hotel and the island of Tobago. If you want an anglised island then this isn't for you but we will not hesitate in returning.

3 Thank SamuelsGrandad
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

My wife, son, daughter in law and 19 month old grandson visited Tobago for the day from Port of Spain. The flight was easy and a short walk from the airport we found Coco Reef. Bought a day pass for all at $37.50 per person, the little one was free. The changing room they offered us was on the third floor (no elevator) and amounted to a very small room for one person at a time and also used by Spa customers. The beach is beautiful and protected. There are lots of activities if you wish to see the coral reefs, etc. Most cost extra. Our price included unlimited drinks (Alcohol included) and a lunch buffet. The drinks were very good and the food on the buffet was average at best. The advertised crab cakes were really potato cakes with no crab taste at all. All in all it was a beautiful setting and a good day trip. The staff was very helpful.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank VTDUCK
essex
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I recently stayed at Coco Reef with husband and wasn't sure what to expect after reading other reviews. The hotel itself is clean and public area's and the gardens are well maintained but it is definately not a 5* hotel I personally would rate it as a 3*. Our room was dated but clean and the bathroom was in desperate need of attention, even simple things like replacing the grout and mastic would be an improvement. The bathroom light would sometimes work and at other times you had to leave it for about 20 minutes before it came on and the shaving socket came out of the wall every time you used it.
The room cleaning was always an adventure one day we asked for shower gel and hand towels as they had been missed were told they didn't provide shower gel and the cleaner came back into the room to check that we didn't already have hand towels before she would give us any. After 5 days in the hotel we came back to find that the only bathroom glass we had was missing but we had received 2 more pillows, tissues and extra shampoo we also had to remove all tea and coffee before they would replace any items you used. The cleaning also got later and later during our stay it was also completed by about 11:00am in the first few days but by the end of the stay it was usually around 5:00pm before they finished even when we put the service the room card on the door at 8:00am.
We only ate in the restaurant on the evening we arrived when they were serving a buffet, which was apparently the 3rd day in a row they had done this, all I can say is I'm pleased we weren't all inclusive because it was the worst food we had anywhere in Tobago and was very expansive for the 1 slice of beef I was given.
The main selling point of this hotel is the reef which is amazing and really good for swimming and snorkling.
I know this sounds like a negative review but to be honest we did enjoy our holiday and stay here but would advise anyone planning a trip here not to expect a 5* hotel.

West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The front of house is well maintained and attractive gardens kept immaculately.
Yes the room was again rather worn about the edges and could do with with improvement, especially the bathroom wear which was very worn.
Ironically the still dated floral decor does match the 80s colour choice of peach walls but it should really be bought up to date for rates charged. (Peach paintwork gives the rooms a dark impression)
More than a few rooms are overlooked, as someone who likes to relax and read during the day, some form of net/voile at the window would afford some degree of privacy.
I did notice the reduction of pillows and towels provided compared to previous visit.
This week the pool is currently closed due to maintenance.

The biggest and most positive difference I notice from my last visit is the attitude of the team.
What a difference!!
Without exception each staff member greets you, whatever the time of day. The service 'tempo' has also been stepped up and there is much more of a sense of urgency. The hotel is clearly well managed day to day and the GM is also very visible, again greeting you.
I liked the way that the beach was attentively patrolled by team members offering bar service.

I can't report on the F&B outlets as I ate out every evening.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Coco Reef Tobago? Share your experiences!