“Very disappointed”

Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Before I start I want to say that we are well travelled throughout the Caribbean and know what to expect. Saying that all I can say about this place is it is awful, I do not recommend it. We went for two weeks and couldn't wait to get home. It looks good on the surface but under the facade it is not what it advertises. It was so bad we wrote our tour company when we returned to complain about the discrepancy in the advertising and got a partial refund. I could go on about all that is wrong with it but there is far to many things. The only good thing I can say is the lagoon is lovely, a fabulous place to swim and snorkel until they open the resort to day guest on the weekends then it is bedlam. It was the worse Caribbean holiday we have had.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank BarefootOnTheSand
Write a ReviewReviews (1,544)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We arrived at the hotel, after the shortest transfer ever. The reception staff were friendly, efficient and they were in abundance to cater for the new arrivals.After a "welcome fruit punch", we were shown to our rooms. Beware, the hotel has more stairs than a stately home and no lifts. The room was a "suite" (overlooks the front of the hotel) as opposed to the smaller "reef" that overlooked the beach. The room was so big that both of us would have had enough space to cater for a months worth of clothes not just a fortnights. There was the usual tea making facilities, fridge, tables and extra seating. The room had AC and a fan that were fully operational. The bathroom was functional but tired looking, however the towels and linen were very good.
The beach was accessible by more steps. There were more sun loungers than guests and all appeared to be well maintained and in good order.Staff were out every morning ensuring the beach was clean of rubbish. The beach had a man made stone wall to create a small lagoon free of currents and safe for children to swim in. Canoes, masks and snorkels were available to guests to use in the lagoon or out in open water at no extra charge. Being a private beach, it was very quiet and safe for children except for the locals with their jet skis that came in touting for business. Despite polite notices asking the guests to refrain from using the jet skis there were several that did. The beach bar staff were great, nothing too much trouble and always with a smile on their face.
The food was of good quality and in plentiful supply. Granted breakfast was almost the same everyday, however, there are not too many people I know that have a different cereal everyday of the week at home....The staff were efficient and effective at meal times, always ensuring you had what you needed. There is a dress code for dinner clearly stated, however, this is the only real formality. Dinner was either a la carte or buffet style, with lots of Caribbean dishes as well as comfort food for all. There is a small shop selling sweets, souvenirs, books etc just off reception but at a price. It is cheaper to walk the 10 mins to the local shops. Overall; the hotel staff were exceptional, food was great, facilities very good (spa and gym), maybe not enough for children to do if it rains, (no pool table, table tennis etc) but we would go back. The decor is a little dated and in places needed repainting, which started the day we left.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We arrived at Coco Reef to find that we had been given an upgrade to a Suite and an adjoining room for our children. Our bed was decorated beautifully and they had left us a bottle of red wine and fruit baskets in both of our rooms.

We were given the Green Hermit Suite (room 212) The room had a dated decor but it was still very pleasant and clean. although being in the corner it was a little dark, however this also kept the room very cool.

Bathroom was very open and we had 2 hand basins and a shower over the bath. We had an issue with our shower at one stage but it was fixed within the hour after it was reported (thankfully during the day). Our children enjoyed having their own bathroom, which was smaller. The smaller bathroom bath/shower took a little time to drain away (prob should of told them but it was not too much of an issue)

Bed linen in the rooms was of a very good quality and our bath towels were new and fluffy. Our bed was huge and it was so comfortable, as my husband said 'there must be something about this bed as every time I lay on it I just fall asleep" . We were only given two pillows for such a large bed, but were given some more when we requested them.

The beach - well where do I start. There were more than enough sun loungers for everyone and although some were a little saggy, the majority were very good. They were maintained as well as one day I saw a guy cleaning them and tightening them up.

The beach was well maintained, staff were out early every morning raking the sand and making sure rubbish, towels were collected. This also happened if it rained, as soon as the showers came there were staff out collecting wet towels.

The lagoon was a safe and a fun place for the children. We have 2 boys (10 yrs old) and they certainly enjoyed snorkelling and canoeing around the lagoon (at one stage taking other guests on tours of the lagoon)! There were lots of fish to be seen and if you took a bread roll down after breakfast the fish would come right up to you. Our children (and us) spent may hours trying to catch fish with our nets :-) Our children met lots of lovely children while playing on the beach, which really made our holiday even more special.

You can hire beach equipment (for free) - e.g. canoes, boats and snorkels from the on-site hire place, you are only allowed to take the items out for an hour at a time, but that is probably just enough. Kids can not sign items out which is a bit of a pain, but can understand why.

The beach bar staff were fabulous, especially Nicola who is just so friendly and has a fabulous memory and creates a few amazing (off menu) cocktails to suit you personally. There are of course a few younger serving staff that have just not mastered the art of service and giving that personal bit of service but that will come eventually.

We also enjoyed having lunch at the beach bar everyday. They offered at least 3 items (the swordfish was fabulous) on the BBQ everyday plus a selection of buffet food which included salad and selections of local foods. I especially enjoyed the stuffed crab and chicken curry.

We were all inclusive (thats because we can never make up our minds on what we want to eat so it is much easier choice for us rather than going out of the resort especially with very tired children). We ate every evening in Tamara's which was lovely. Some evenings they had an A La Carte Menu, which was beautiful. We enjoyed the (entrees) squid stuffed with shrimp, the scallops served with kale, shrimp with black rice and we also enjoyed (mains) the beef with their various sauces, Swordfish with fennel, the trio of fish, and the pork medallions. Other nights were buffet which we also enjoyed. We would recommend that you try the lobster and shrimp that is cooked for you with pasta, you can ask for as little or as much as you like and the sauces it to die for. We all enjoyed this. We generally did not eat dessert because we were to full and too tired for it, but I am sure it would of been lovely.

Breakfast was served in Tamara's everyday as well, it was buffet style which was very good. Although not a great difference everyday, there had to be something for everyone. Cereal, fruit (including avocado), breads and pastries, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, salt fish (which was really lovely), bacon, hash browns, pancakes and maple syrup. Off course there is a selection of eggs, however you want them, cooked by the most amazing and lovely lady Melissa - well done for all your hard work cooking over all those pans for all those demanding people you are truly wonderful.

Generally we found all the staff very attentive, friendly and helpful.

Overall we had a wonderful time at Coco Reef (and we are pretty hard to please), our expectations were not over the top high, which we feel can often be the problem in the Caribbean (their standards are not like ours in Europe) but they certainly made our stay at Coco Reef a very relaxed and happy one.

Room Tip: We had Room 212 (the Green Hermit Suite) with an adjoining room for our children - Room 216.
5  Thank funfamilyholidays
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I spent 3 nights here with my family and inlaws - a large group of 16 including 7 kids, and we had a great time with only a few negatives.

Pros:
Service was excellent, we initially requested a villa because of the kids, the hotel could not provide this but upgraded us to adjoining rooms which was probably better- much closer to the beach and restaurant. In general all the waiters, reception etc were all extremely helpful and polite.

Beach: an excellent secluded lagoon, so perfect for the kids as there are no waves or currents . Beach relatively quiet because of the walled off sides, and the seaside barrier had lots of colorful fishes to see if you went snorkeling.

Room: was very nice, with decent furnishing and all the basics (kettle, tv, fridge) you would expect. Towels were very old though and need replacing.

Food: Breakfast was good , I expected a wider range of dishes from a hotel this price, and we were disappointed by the paucity of local dishes.

Cons:
Wheelchair access: Unfortunately the hotel lacks any ramps or lifts to access the beach or restaurant. My 10 yr old daughter is disabled so it was very inconvenient us, and it is not clear from the website or at booking that this is the case. My 80yr old mother in law with arthritis also had difficulty with this as the access to the restaurant and beach is via steps only. The staff are very helpful and will assist, but its a bit frustrating hanging around waiting for help. In the end I ended up carrying her down to the beach myself (my back still suffering!

Food: small children need a constant supply of snacks and drinks, but apart from mealtimes there is no easy way to get these apart from ordering from the bar (this will quickly get expensive), also no shop on site. Luckily there was a shop close by where we could buy these. We ate at the restaurant one night, and the food was good but relatively expensive for the quality. I was turned away at first for wearing shorts, but they do have a dress code listed at front. Unfortunately i didn't bring any trousers and had to borrow! Perhaps the restaurant should mention the dress code when they take bookings.

Summary: overall we had a good time and enjoyed our stay. The children particularly liked the calm sandy beach. Unfortunately unless the hotel were to install ramps or lifts to enable wheelchair access, I won't be returning. If you don’t have these concerns I can recommend this hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mike B
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My stay there was terrible,after booking a two bedroom adjoining plus an extra bedroom for my sister and her family close together. On arrival to the resort my sisters room was far from mines and no adjoining rooms was available. I was then given a villa at the entrance of the resort, far away from everything which was the only room available where my kids would be close to me. my sisters room was like a good 6 minutes walk. Breakfast was 90% pork base, which I dont eat ! there was not much of a variety to choose from. The walk way to the villa was uneven and my 5 YR old daughter fell on THREE occasions. The villa was infested with mosquitos and it was a one bathroom villa for FIVE of us. The bathroom was 2FT x 2FT and my son had to sleep in the living room under a ceiling fan with no AC. I could go on and on, I did not get what I had paid for and it was not a family vacation for me at all. Me complaining everytime to the managers, nothing was done. No compensation was giving for my family discomfortand they trying to convience me it was a upgrade.....

Room Tip: Make sure and confirm your reservation on what you pay for before departure and inform them if you d...
2  Thank dinesh d
Reviewed 18 August 2014

A good place to stay for families. The beach area was small but very nice. The bar staff and wait staff very pleasant and accommodating. It's located right next to the local hang-out 'Store Bay' and that's a great place to get some local food and souveniers. The hotel room is a little dated, but has a lot of carribbean charm. The grounds are well kept and clean. Breakfast had the same items on buffet everyday, but it was enough so that you had a bit of variety if you wanted to. Wifi was only available in the lobby unless you paid for it.
Not a lot in terms of night life in the hotel, but plenty to do around the Crown Point area that is walking distance from the hotel
I would recommend Coco Reef as it is convienient. The Airport is less than 2 minutes away. You can choose a quiet evening at the resort lobby or you can walk a short distance and enjoy the night life with some friendly locals.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

The feather in the cap of this charming award-winning hotel is its wonderful staff, well lead by the ever-present Manager - Mr Eric Feniet. Always smiling, always willing to help and very friendly, the Coco Reef staff epitomise all that is good about Tobago. The food in the hotel is very good, but for a change of scene and menu, dinner in Café Coco (part of the hotel but situated a few hundred yards away) should not be missed. We found the hotel housekeeping staff to be excellent and when we needed something to be repaired in our room, the maintenance staff were promptly on the scene. The lagoon is very child friendly (being shallow at one end) and fish can be seen and enjoyed without the need for snorkel gear. However, if you do snorkel around the lagoon retaining wall you will be rewarded with a fantastic array of various tropical fish. There are plenty of sun loungers on the beach and clean beach towels are available from reception daily. The beach bar waiting staff are generally attentive and the offering of free iced fruit cocktails and fresh fruit on a stick whilst lounging in the sun was appreciated. We really enjoyed watching the sunsets from our balcony and would recommend upgrading to a sea view room for this reason alone. We were disappointed by the standard of the evening entertainment at the hotel (which was non-existent on some evenings) but to be fair, most residents retired to the comfort of their rooms after dinner so the audiences were small. This was not the first time we have enjoyed the Coco Reef Hotel and despite the lack of evening entertainment, it will not be the last. Well done Eric!

Room Tip: Request a sea view room to enjoy the sunsets from your own balcony
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crown Point
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago? Share your experiences!