“Tired”

Shepherd's Inn
Ranked #3 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
“Tired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Three Toucan is well intentioned but sadly very tired. Don't touch pool room 16! The shower room is tiny. I fell into the shower as I walked straight in rather than walk in crab like. Nay lump on leg. No window covering.Floor filthy. I mean FILTHY! Wonderful manger Troy moved us to a garden room. Completely different. Have to ask why they are letting no 16? Better as a store room?
KP bar manner, was lovely and fun and friendly.
Troy was brilliant but I fear is up against it trying to run an efficient hotel. Lovely man.
Hotel is in desperate need of refurbishment. Could be amazing. Might be better if promoted for backpackers?
Food very samey and a lot of frozen food.
Dived with R and Sea divers on site. Sadly also need a good shake up. Wendy and John lovely, but lovely doesn't make you feel confident.
Randy, excellent dive master! It's fine if you take your own kit and you are an experienced diver.
LOVE TOBAGO, LOVE THE PEOPLE, and will return, but not to Toucan and R and Sea. Sorry folks.:-(:-)

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lorrie V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Toucan Inn for three nights in March. I agree with another reviewer who said, "It was a nice relaxed place. Small and wasn't too busy. The staff were quite mixed and we felt you had to work at it to get the best from them, but we found the same from alot of places. We had a garden room which was basic but functional." The air conditioning worked very well. I stayed there because of the dive shop housed within the hotel so it worked out well for me.

About the staff, well, they just weren't super friendly or welcoming but I found most of the local people on Tobago were like that or worse, quite surly! I did like the landscaping. For the price, I would stay at the Toucan Inn again. It was clean and as mentioned, functional, and the food at the resteraunt was satisfactory. Not great, but good enough. I think they could do more upkeep on the pool and grounds.

Room Tip: I would go for a garden room because if the resteraunt and pool area were busy then the pool side ro...
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

We booked this due to the deal we received through Golden Holidays.
We had a garden room which was basic but functional. The bed was comfortable but the bed frame was rickety and creaked with every movement.
The room was cleaned everyday and the linen and towels always fresh.
Breakfast was good with plenty of choice. I'll review the restaurant seperately.
It's about a 10 minute walk from the nearest beach, pigeon point being 25 minutes. A cab there only cost about £6 for a return trip.
It's very close to the airport. We walked rather than get a transfer, it's about 10 minutes. but depends how much luggage you have. A cab would only be a few £ so don't pay for expensive transfers. It's about a 2-3 min car ride.
Oh, you must do the Sunday School trip, it's a good place to meet people and drink and dance.
If you like to see the sights by bike, then i recommend Eamon at, Tobago mountain bike. This was a really good way to see some of the local villages and sights and fun too !!
Would we stay again, yes if the price was right. We got exactly what we expected for the price we paid.

Room Tip: The garden rooms were bigger and a bit quieter, but beware of the Mozzies
Boone, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

This is not a posh hotel, so if you want thick towels and nice linens, it is not the place to go. However, it is very reasonably priced and was clean. We are SCUBA divers and this hotel houses a dive shop which made it very convenient. I gave it average on service, but this is compared to other islands. The Tobago way is very laid back and no one is in a hurry. So for Tobago, the service may have actually been better than average. The day and evening managers were very helpful when we needed anything. We had a garden room which was quiet and peaceful. The town was just a 10 to 15 minute walk away. The hotel has an restaurant (Bonkers) and breakfast was included and was excellent. All the staff were friendly - in the Tobagan way. We actually enjoyed this, because in other places, the staff can be obsequious - going for bigger tips. Most divers are not interested in luxury, so I can highly recommend the Toucan Inn for divers. But if you want 5 star (not sure that is even available in Tobago), try another place.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are worth the little extra money. If you dive with R&Sea, you will be upgraded to...
1 Thank EllenAesch
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I read all the reviews and while I did not expect luxury, I anticipated a bit more than we got.
We stayed in a pool room which was awful and tiny. Once inside you could not see out, as the windows were opaque. It was like sleeping in a garden shed. The shower room was cramped and very shabby. The toilet bowl, below the water line, was black . The bed was very firm and probably the best thing about the room. There was no TV, no kettle and no hair dryer which I knew before we left, but had I realised that I would spend so much time staring at the blank wall, I would probably have brought some speakers. The floor was horrible and worn out. It was impossible to tell if it was clean or dirty. The room was very ill lit and was missing a side lamp until we requested it.
The staff were a long way from the description given by others. The lady who waited at breakfast warmed up after a few days. The patron of bonkers was a pain and they were constantly out of stock!! the food when it arrived was dreary and generally covered in horrible sauces (ask for it on the side). It was expensive which I must say was true of all of Tobago, unfortunately .The lady at reception was curt, to put it kindly.
External areas were poorly maintained. The pool had lots of damaged tiles and was in need of a really good clean.
The position was dreadful. It was not close to anything. We hired a car for a couple of days which helped . All in all, I would describe this as budget accommodation at inflated prices and would not recommend it.

3 Thank eise
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We have just returned from a week's stay at the Toucan Inn and diving with R and Sea Divers and it was thoroughly enjoyable. The garden rooms are worth paying the extra money for as you are not woken up each morning by the sound of the cockerel (which we happened to name Colin). Breakfast at Bonkers Restaurant was fantastic - pancakes and maple syrup - a great way to start the day. We ate twice at Bonkers in the evening and the food was excellent and elegantly service by Troy. All the staff were very friendly and have a great sense of humour.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DiverMick2115
Port of Spain, Trinidad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

I will still book probably. The reviews are amazing and the rates are good and the place looks great. But whoever answers their phone needs some customer service training. I am that close to changing my mind. Maybe if I was a foreigner she would speak more professionally. So if the owners look at this at all hopefully they do something about it soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine
Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel

Been to Shepherd's Inn? Share your experiences!