“Hotel was nice, reception was not”
Review of Hummingbird Hotel

Hummingbird Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I would like to second the previously written review. I was one of three people who stayed at Hummingbird for two nights last week. As previously stated, my friend was sick on the ferry, and we wanted to see if we would be able to check in early. Our friend had additionally emailed Hummingbird one to two days earlier, telling them that we would like to check in early. We did not hear back from them, and when we finally arrived, the woman behind the desk (who appeared to be in charge) stated that she had just viewed the email.

The issue that I personally had was not with the fact that we couldn't check in early, since obviously this was something that the hotel had not accommodated for (assuming that she truly had not seen the email until that moment), the issue I had was with the rudeness that we were met with from the second we arrived. Instead of merely saying that she could not accommodate early check in, the woman behind the desk was rude, curt, and kept reiterating that there was a charge for checking in early. (Note - we later checked into the Trinidad Marriot and checked in 7 hours early with no charge. While I understand this is a much larger hotel with more room availability, I reiterate that we did send her an email with our early check in request days earlier, to no response.) I then subsequently asked if I could at the very least purchase some water from the fridge behind the desk for my friend, and was again rebuffed and told that there was a minimum for any credit card purchases. Acknowledging this fact, I was stunned that there was no subsequent offer to have some complimentary water, and was further put off when, after inquiring what places were nearby to get food/water for our sick friend, we were told to take a twenty minute walk in a monotone response.

Once we did decide to check in early and headed over to the hotel's restaurant nook in order to wait until our room was ready, we requested something small to eat or drink. After we had to wait for the woman behind the desk to come over to serve us, we were told that the kitchen was closed. We then witnessed someone walk out of the kitchen with a whole tray of what looked to be muffins. This tray looked like much more than just the woman behind the desk's breakfast, and honestly all that we wanted was water to drink for our friend who had become terribly sick.

Again, I would say that the hotel is very nice, but the service was very unprofessional. I believe that the response of the woman behind the desk to our reviews puts this unprofessionalism on full display. After deciding to stay another night, we honestly had to struggle with ourselves: ask to stay one more night at Hummingbird, which would be more convenient in terms of moving but would mean we would have to continue to put up with horrible service, or move to another hotel? After asking about room availability, and being told that we would have to get two rooms, we decided that the higher price simply wasn't worth it for that horrible service. Additionally, our choice wasn't based on just price (as the woman behind the desk seems to imply in her response), since we did end up staying at a hotel down the road where we paid MORE than we would have paid to stay at Hummingbird for another night.

Moreover, it must be reiterated that all three of us who stayed in the room are well travelled (having travelled to all the continents other than Antarctica), and thus have stayed in a number of hotels. In all my travels, I have never experienced such rude service. From our rude welcome, the harsh glances we got while we stayed there, and the fact that WE had to be the ones to say goodbye as we checked out, the way we were treated during our stay illustrates the woman behind the desk's failure to grasp the basics of hospitality. I again want to reinforce that the hotel itself is very nice, but it honestly is not so nice as to excuse the rude service. While the woman behind the desk stated in her response that there were such amenities as service to the airport and to the beaches, this was the first that any of us have ever heard of these services being offered.

If you are thinking of staying in Tobago, please check out Bananaquit, the hotel where we stayed on our final night. The service was wonderful, the staff friendly, and the rooms were superb! Hummingbird is for the birds...............

4  Thank AndreaMcC1

Reviewed 18 March 2012

In addition to the awful service, Hummingbird is quite far from the beaches and restaurants-definitely inconvenient. Also, I really do not know how so many people spoke so highly of the service at Hummingbird because the service my friends and I received was so terrible we chose to stay our last night in Tobago somewhere else (Banaquit-which was TERRIFIC btw). Linda is extremely rude-from the moment we got to the hotel she managed to insult us because we were confused about check in and asked us "what, were you planning on just hanging around all day?" Immediately after this, we were told that breakfast was "over for the day at 10 am" when it was literally 10:05 am and not a single other soul was in sight. When we explained to her that our friend had vomited for 2 hours straight on the ferry ride over and couldn't really walk, she continued to look at us as though we were crazy and told us there was may be breakfast down the road. At the end of our visit, she asked us if we took anything from the minibar, we said no, and then she proceeded to charge us for waters we never took!!! I will say that the hotel itself is pretty nice, Paul does seem like a friendly person, and the pool is always clean. I did notice though that they did not give us clean towels, and in fact it seemed like the towels were dirtier AFTER room service. The distance from everything and the bad service makes it such that I would NEVER come back here again. In fact, it was worth it to schlep all of our stuff to Bananaquit instead of staying a third night at Hummingbird.

1  Thank sarah C
lindam011, Owner at Hummingbird Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

It is difficult when you are expecting guests (3 single young women on a budget) to arrive at 10a.m. to drop off their luggage, go to the beach and then return to check in the afternoon. Then when they arrive they have had an unpleasant ferry crossing and want to check in but do not want to pay any extra and very often the room would not be ready or it may still be occupied as check out is 12 midday.
Then as in this case you have to get the room ready yourselves, the guests ask for breakfast when they see your breakfast , it is 10:20 breakfast finished at 10:00 the kitchen has already been tidied and tables cleared. Then another guest arrives from the same boat and also wants to check in early, so that room has to be got ready, luckily they did not see my breakfast, which I eventually ate at 11:30.
Hoteliers are only Human, as are our guests, but sometimes not everything goes to plan and when people are not feeling well and unhappy there are misunderstandings on both sides.
Due to unexpected early check in, routine things like replenishing the minibar was forgotten. Hence the mistake of putting the waters on their bill. Once the mistake was bought to my attention, the money was deducted from their bill, with apologies. Their accommodation was (85X2)X6.4 +120=1108TTS plus 25TTS for the waters=1138TT$. The 25TT$ was taken out and they only paid 1108TT$
Most of our guests find our location ideal, as they say it is near enough to get to restaurants and the beaches and far enough from the hustle and noise of Crown Point. We are a 15 minute walk to the airport; we will drop people off at the airport on departure and take them to the nearest 2 beaches on a daily basis after breakfast approximately between 10 and 10:30am
Rooms are serviced on a daily basis up to 12noon. Their room was still serviced even though it was not vacated until the afternoon. Towels are changed every day, you are asked to put the used/dirty towels in the shower tray if you want them changed. The above guests only stayed 2 nights which would mean only one towel change so how is it possible to not change the towels and the changed towels to be dirtier, as implied.
Ask yourselves would a guest who are having such an unpleasant experience ask to stay an extra night in the same room, but not stay as only more expensive rooms were available. Would there have been any problem if the guests ferry journey had been a pleasant one and it was a warm sunny tropical day.
As can be seen, we have many good reviews and we try to accommodate every ones needs but there will be times due to extenuating circumstances when this is not 100% possible after all we are human.
I would also like to state that I disagreed in trip advisors policy of allowing 2 reviews for the same one room two night stay especially when all our good reviews are not doubled as well.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Though the hotel is clean and reasonably priced, I would NEVER stay here again. We were treated very poorly from the start, there is poor circulation in the rooms--our swimsuits were still wet after 2 days, we were charged for items in the minibar that we had not consumed, and the hotel is about a 20 minute walk from the beach and the airport while there are other, comparably priced guesthouses situated only 5 minutes from the beach and the airport. When my friends and I decided to stay an extra night in Tobago we packed our things and lugged them 15 minutes down the road to Banaquit, which was better in EVERY way!

The lack of kindness and accommodation we received at the Hummingbird Hotel was actually startling---and the antithesis of the warmth and kindness that characterizes Tobago. I checked in with two friends with Linda at the reception desk and she was very rude and unwelcoming. We had just come in on the 6:30 am ferry from Port of Spain and as we were talking amongst ourselves to see if it made sense to check in early (which has an additional charge) Linda interrupted and asked in a harsh tone "What, do you think you are just going to hang out here all day?" We decided to check in because one of our friends had become ill on the ferry ride from Trinidad. We were told we had to wait a bit while our room was prepared and had a seat in the eating area and attempted to order breakfast. A few minutes later Linda came and told us that breakfast stopped being served at 10 am. It was 10:05 am at this point and there was literally no other guests in the restaurant at the time, such that serving us a muffin would set a bad precedent or cause a stir or major inconvenience. A moment later we saw a relative of hers walk out of the kitchen area with a huge plate of croissants and fruit. When one of my companions asked Linda if there is somewhere close where she could grab some food and tea for our sick friend--despite that fact that the kitchen was 20 feet away--she instructed us to walk the 20 minutes (each way) to get food for her. It was very mean-spirited. I wouldn't advise any one that expects to be treated kindly and respectfully to pay money to stay here.

3  Thank PatCW_12

Reviewed 1 February 2012

If there had been a 'Good' rather than a 'Very Good' option I would have selected that. It is a good location, very clean, nice rooms and pool. The Rough Guide directions are wrong - carry on down Store Bay Local road past Sunspree Hotel and you'll come to it. The owners seemed nice and I think they were a little tired after the Christmas rush. A good mid-price option for Crown Point.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LK490
Reviewed 19 November 2011

The hotel is close to the airport and everything in town. It can be reached easily by taxi or a walk if you are so inclined. We visited in November 2011 which is slow season so the occupancy was relatively quiet. The rooms are clean and well worth the $75US we paid. My husband spent about every day in the refreshing pool just floating around. Paul (owner) is available when needed and is happy to drive you down to the beaches. I must say, he is a fine cook and gathers the groceries the day he cooks for you so everything is fresh. Needless to say, we enjoyed the quiet dinners. Paul and Linda have a sweet pooch named Sparkle, JoJo (Joey) the kitty is friendly and was often waiting to say good morning. They also gave Rainbow the Parott who mimics electronics (too cute). Oh, and let me not forget all of the hummingbirds, there are always hummingbirds fluttering around.

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank T2Socks
Reviewed 1 September 2011

The room was big and very clean! We booked the suite. Owners are wonderful and try to fulfill your every need. Easy access to everything! If you're looking for ammenities, there are none...just a clean room to sleep, shower and change clothes!!! Swimming pool was kept very clean as are the grounds surrounding. Very quiet and relaxing. Perfect for the low maintenance traveler! Only complaint, pillows were flat flat flat!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank gjohn510
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I grew up in Trinidad and now live abroad. I brought my family to Tobago for a quick 2-night stay and was very happy with my choice. I like the fact that the hotel is family owned. Paul was especially helpful and accommodating. The room was comfortable and clean. It was really nice to have the availability of a restaurant on site (especially for breakfast or dinner), should you need it. A car is advisable, even though the beaches are within walking distance.....but in the heat, I think I would have preferred to drive. After a long day of sightseeing, it was really great to come back and relax in the pool. We had a great stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort
Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts

Been to Hummingbird Hotel? Share your experiences!