“Second time is still a charm”
Review of Hummingbird Hotel

Hummingbird Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 February 2013

This is my second visit to Tobago and we stayed at the Hummingbird again, just as nice as the first time...We had 4 people in our party (my wife,baby, her friend and my friend)...booked 2 rooms for 12 days and had a great time..Great breakfast every morning and an excellent flying fish dinner (made by Paul and Linda)...We usually go to Tobago every 3 or 4 years and we will be definetely staying at the Hummingbird again

Room Tip: there all good rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank jklam48092

Reviewed 13 January 2013

I'm actually cheating as I haven't been for a few years but I'm sure it hasn't changed.

I love this place. The owners are lovely, pool great, rooms clean.

It's a bit of a hike to the beach but the food's really good so you could use a good walk.

I first went years ago when it was under different owners and it's definitely improved.

I'd love to go back soon!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Exlondon L
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Okay we only actually spend five days, but I wish we'd spent a week or even more time there. We spend a month touring around the Caribbean: Grenada, Barbados, Trinidad, and Tobago. Hummingbird was a big plus in our stay. Paul, one of the two owners, is a great cook and the price for breakfast is very reasonable. The rooms were perfect for a couple and there were families there, too, all having a good time. It's about a half hour walk to beaches, but public transit is very close to the hotel (which feels a lot like a guesthouse). If I'm ever in Tobago, I won't bother looking for other places to stay. (PS: Paul, we got on the ferry... barely! Thanks for a great stay.)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sam S
Reviewed 11 January 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for twelve days. Paul and Linda are wonderful. They will find anything you need. They make you feel you are part of their family. Rainbow (parrot) Joey (cat) and Sparkle (dog) were an added touch. They were very friendly animals.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Amy D
Reviewed 20 October 2012

are three reasons we'll return to The Hummingbird Hotel....Paul and Linda are the other two.

Hummbird was chosed for our Aug 2012 honeymoon as it fit our budget and vacationing style - laid back, homey and easy-does-it. We checked in later than expected because T&T's gold medalist for the javelin throw had returned home from the London Olympics that day, so my husband and I were caught in the pandemonium at Piarco as our connecting flight to Tobago was delayed.

Once we arrived at the hotel to begin our week-long honeymoon in the country-side, Paul checked us in, took us to our room, instructed on the use of the television, answered our questions about meals, the pool, the beach, then left us to our own devices.

Paul is a great cook and accommodated our haphazard meal requests. Joey, the couple's tomcat, loved the smell of freshly grilled fish so he usually joined us for meals. Sparkle, Linda's dog and Joey's tormentor, seemed wiser than me. She sure was not afraid to "throw-down" with Joey....whenever she felt like it! It was amusing to watch. Linda is the relaxed heart of this operation. She was usually seen with Rainbow, the resident parrot hanging out on her shoulder. Rainbow provided two beautiful feathers for my husband and I as parting gifts!

If you're looking to feel like a small family for a short period of time, without ridiculous expectations and a relaxed style, Hummingbird Hotel is a great find!

Petal & Ken

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. This is a beautiful, small countryside hotel and it is managed that way.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Petal C
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We decided to have our honeymoon in Tobago and chose the Hummingbird as a place to stay. We are not really into "5 star, waited on, generic, you could be anywhere in the world if you close the curtains" kind of hotels. We both much prefer places with a bit of character/charm or whatever it is called.

We stayed for two weeks and had a fantastic time. Paul and Linda were on hand if you needed them for anything, but equally you could be left in peace. And we came to Tobago for peace and got it. Yay.

Our room was upstairs and couldn't really fault it, spacious enough, ensuite toilet/sink/shower, double bed which was comfy, no bad back or anything like that. Outside the door a covered balcony area overlooking the swimming pool. The pool was well kept and usually quiet since the hotel isn't huge. It was very nice to have a paddle now and then.

We ate breakfast and dinner a few times at the hotel and all was great. We had seafood cooked by Paul on the first night which was lovely, and he was also kind enough to cook fish that we had caught on a fishing trip for us. That was again very tasty.

The hotel is a 10-25 minute walk to airport/crown point depending on many factors such as leg length and how much you have got used to the slow pace of the island. If you even care about time, then you'd be missing the point. A local pointed this out to me on my very first day and I thanked him for it. From that point on it was flip flops and a very slow walk from me. A taxi from the airport would be advisable if you are laiden with baggage. It was pretty cheap and stress free. As for the rest of the time you don’t wish to walk, jeep hire is fairly reasonable and petrol is cheap compared to Britain, and there are lots of bikes available for hire. Both jeeps and bikes are for hire along the road from the hummingbird to the airport/town.

Paul drives in to Crown Point and on to Pigeon Point beach at a time each morning and you can catch a lift in with him.

All in all a lovely place which is just off the noisy centre of crown point, a functional, clean and comfy room with AC, friendly helpful owners who will see you have a pleasant stay. We left feeling very happy and relaxed but then remembered it was real January in the UK. We are still alive mind, eagerly planning our next visit to Tobago!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dylbobaggins
Reviewed 20 June 2012 via mobile

The Humming Bird is the perfect place to chill out. Rooms open onto the wonderful pool, breakfast is lovely, evening meals can be pre selected and the seafood is then freshly purchased and cooked to your liking. Fab. The owners Paul and Linda provide a 1st class knowledge of Tobago service,and are very friendly and helpful. Courtesy trips to the best beaches ever are provided by Paul.Highly recommended for a week of total relaxation.

• Stayed: June 2012
#2 of 20 in Crown Point
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Bellissimo Boutique Hotel

Been to Hummingbird Hotel? Share your experiences!