“Perfect small guesthouse as a base for your Tobago holiday.”
Review of Hummingbird Hotel

Hummingbird Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 January 2010

We spent a wonderful 2 weeks at the Hummingbird Inn, which is run by British/Trinidadian couple Paul and Linda. The room was excellent - we took the suite with an attached kitchen as we wanted to partly self-cater. Everything was spotless and our hosts couldn't have been more welcoming or helpful. We might have been concerned at the proximity to the airport but this is really not relevant as there are so few flights. When we ate in the restaurant the food was delicious - actually the best we found anywhere in Crown Point. We had a rental car (from Sheppey's - highly recommended) so access to all local facilities was easy but Paul offers lifts to local amenities when necessary. This was our first trip to Tobago and we would have no hesitation in returning to the Hummingbird for any future visit.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Layces

Reviewed 24 September 2009

Since I would spend three days in Tobago to explore the whole island by car, I decided to pick a cheap, clean and good place to sleep. The Hummingbird Hotel proved to be a great choice. The owner is very professional and cordial and his near-blind big dog is really something. The swimming pool is very nice and clean, good for relaxing at the end of the day. My only complaint is about the spartan room: the matress was very unconfortable to sleep on and only a micro TV was available (it has cable, though). There is no breakfast included on the basic rate, but considering the main objective of my trip, it was a bargain: about US 70 a day. Last, but not least: there are only four parking spaces in front of this samll hotel, therefore plan accordingly.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank PMTexas
Reviewed 15 August 2009

wonderful inexpensive retreat in the Crown Point area

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank quiberon
Reviewed 18 June 2009

**When reading these reviews, make sure you notice which part of the world the guests were coming from. Notice who was happy with their stay and where they were from. Notice who was not happy with their stay and where they were from.

I made my decision to stay at Hummingbird based on the raving reviews from this site. However, after my experiences and putting the pieces of the puzzle together, we may have not been as welcome because we were Americans.

When I made my reservations, the individual on the phone stated "you must be American, I can tell by your accent." Not a big deal to me when I made the reservations, but once I arrived the comment made more sense.

We arrived at about 10:30am after getting off the ferry from Trinidad exhausted, sea sick, and ready for a good shower/nap. Check-in wasn't until 3pm, so the owner put our luggage in the office and basically said....sorry you have to wait. Im not a complainer, so I thought to myself that it wasn't a big deal and it is their rules. PLUS, there was a huge World Cup Qualifier futbol game the previous night on the island, so I suspected they were sold out and there were just no rooms available. WELL, later after we came back to check-in, we found out they were not full the night before and that they had rooms available that they could have checked us into. In this case, it was not fun knowing that they would rather us suffer and wait around for 4.5 hours than try to at least help us out and check us in early ... especially because we were booked for an 8 night stay.

Once my friend and I checked in to our standard room, you walk through the sliding glass door (about 1 step) and there is a twin bed on both sides. Literally enough room for two people to stand shoulder to shoulder between the beds. Then you look the length of twin beds and there is a small bathroom and tv to your right. Very very small compared to our accomodations at Moniques Guest House in Trinidad (which was the same pricing and level of hotel/guest house). It would be a good room to stick a couple teenage siblings in while the parents have a separate room. But still, it would be quite crowded.

You must be an animal lover to stay here. As the owners have 2 dogs, a cat, and a parrot that roam freely. There were many times when the dog would come in to hang out, and the cat would freely come in and make itself comfortable on our beds. There was even one time when we were eating breakfast, and the parrot jumped on our table and proceeded to eat our food as it pleased. We are animal lovers so this didn't bother us.

Great pool facility! and Great breakfast served by the owner. However, you can forget about feeling welcome....and we've concluded that this applies to Americans. We constantly said please/thank you/sorry. In most cases there was never a your welcome/of course/sure/that's okay. This could clearly be a cultural thing, but this did not match up with other vendors attitudes toward us in Tobago. We were wonderful guests, never caused trouble, kept very clean and quiet, yet we were treated like we were the most unwelcome guest on the premises. This was confirmed when our neighbors checked in and the difference in treatment between them and us were clearly different.

All in all, its a nice facility. Lots of animals. Just don't expect to be treated like your'e paying them money to stay there. Their website states they are close to Store Bay and Pigeon Point, but there are several hotels that are even closer. Its a strong 15-20 minute walk to store bay which feels longer in the heat. A good 45 minute walk to Pigeon Point. You can forget about food in the area. There are other locations that are more conveinantly located if you don't have a car.

We ended up leaving early to stay at another location which was A TOTALLY different and more pleasant experience.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
7  Thank TexasSunfun
theHummingbirdTobago, owner at Hummingbird Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2009

Obviously nobody at the Hummingbird has a problem with any guests, of any nationality. The previous review was written by a single American female. But the same cannot be said of the bahaviour of certain people (for example, 2 middle aged women travelling alone) and a certain kind of tourist covers the behaviour we are talking about. This is not the first time I have had this problem ,I have always bitten my tongue in the past but to write a negative review because you felt you were treated differently inspite of the fact that you were nightly outside the hotel with male company past 2am disturbing other residents, does not seem fair.
We run a quiet and peaceful Hotel and we would like to keep it that way.

The original booking was made for the 6th June.They telephoned from Trinidad to say they were cancelling the first night and coming first thing in the morning. I asked if they wanted to keep the booking so they could check in on arrival. They said no, they would check in at 3pm. (All Hotels charge for any cancellation less than 24 hours.No charge was made.)

When they arrived, they left their luggage as duscussed on the phone. When they came back to check in they were offered our larger Superior(65U$) room or the Standard Room (50U$). They declined the larger room.
By the way Moniques guest House in Trinidad cheapest Room for 2 people is 90U$ making it substancially more than even our Superior Room.

Even after staying in the room for 6 days they asked if another friend could join them in the same 'small' standard Room. Once again they were offered an alternative room. They declined and said they would have to check out because they could not afford it.

We even drove them to their next hotel.

Reviewed 9 May 2009

I spent ten nights at Hummingbird on a recent vacation. It is located on Store Bay Road and is pretty convenient to restaurants, markets, and the Store Bay Beach Facility (about a 15-20 minute walk). The owners are friendly and helpful but not intrusive.

My standard room was spotlessly clean and well-furnished. There was a mini-bar in the room that was handy for stashing leftovers or water bottles (there was water in the fridge at a not-bad price, but I brought in my own). The rooms have a/c with a remote, but you can only use it turn the unit on and off; the temp seems pre-set at what for me was a bit chilly (but then, I'm cold-natured). There is also a TV.

There is a small restaurant that begins serving basic breakfasts at 8 a.m., which seems to be the standard time all over the island. For an early riser, it is a long time to wait for some coffee. I had one or two dinners there, as well, and they were decent but nothing special.

Other amenities include a sparkling and well-maintained pool and a friendly old dog; phone use in the office, though you have to track down one of the owners to be able to use it; and Internet access--ditto finding the owner. There is parking for about four cars out front. The area is quiet until the roosters start up in the morning, but better those than car alarms and sirens. All in all, it's a nice little hotel and a good choice.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank azbuceadora
Reviewed 16 February 2009

Travelling as a large group ( we accomodated nearly all the rooms!) is not easy in such a small hotel but we needn't have worried.
On arrival Paul took care of assisting with luggage and ensuring we all got settled without stress and Linda greeted us all with a beaming smile and showed us our rooms.
Paul and Linda are very relaxed and will do everything from advising you where the nearest main supermarket is to dropping you off at the beach, anything they can help you with they will woithout fuss.

Paul's cooking is to die for nothing is too much trouble for them.
my children ( 12,5,2) can't wait to return and I can honestly say rather than spend money doing the normal family holidays to canaries etc Tobagoand The Hummingbird is now a firm favourite.
The rooms are exceptionally clean and with air con in each room
you are never hot and bothered, decorated to a high standard and cleaned on a daily basis with fresh linen and towels changed.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone looking to getaway from the hustle and bustle of daily life.
So paul, linda, joey, rosco and rainbow thank you for a wonderful time packed full of great memories and we cant wait to return .

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank mumx3
Reviewed 1 February 2009

When I arrived at this hotel (without reservations), I noticed the owners were sitting at a table with some of its customers drinking tea and talking world politics. The hotel had a relaxing and calm atmosphere about it. As I approached the office, Linda quickly came with a warm smile to welcome me and my guest to the Hummingbird Hotel. Unfortunately, all rooms were occupied except one which was scheduled to be cleaned the next morning. However, Linda cleaned the room for us so that we could get a good night's rest. The next morning she asked about our rest and if the room was acceptable. I told her the shower water was not hot and before my next shower that problem was resolved. This hotel is reasonably priced, comfortable, quiet at night, and the owners are people friendly. I expressed my appreciation to Linda for going above and beyond to make the room available and making sure I was comfortable and satisfied with my accommodations. For sure I will return to stay at the Hummingbird Hotel on my next vacation.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank sunshine_1o9
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort
Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts

Been to Hummingbird Hotel? Share your experiences!