“Terrible hotel- visitors beware!!!”
Review of Surf Side Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crown Point
Surf Side Hotel
Ranked #18 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 March 2011

7 of us stayed for the Carnival 2011 weekend. Upon arrival Saturday night, the front desk demanded full payment before checking in even though we were told over the phone that balance payment is only due upon checking out. The hotel has no idea of the deposit you made unless you provide a copy of the bank slip so don't forgot this home. The carpet on the corridors on the way to our 2 poolside apartments were old and smelly. The locks on the doors to the apartments did not function properly and the a/c units are the old window units that make lots of noise... The kitchen has no utencils and we had to ask for towels. The ones that we got were old and should have been thrown out. The hot water in the shower only works sometimes..The washing machine on the side of the hotel is old and rotten. Each time you leave you have to get out of your vehicle to open / close the gate which is ridiculous and should be remote controlled.... The pool is very disappointing and small and opens at 9am and closes 9pm so don't even think about taking an early / late swim...I left the hotel with a neck ache because my bed and pillow was so uncomfortable. The only good thing is the location, nothing else.

Previously I stayed at Coco Reef which was extremely lovely but this trip we wanted to do something a little more economical. Surf Side was such a bad experience that I do not recommend to anyone.....

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Stacy003

Reviewed 27 January 2011

every year i visit Tobago with my family around December month. December 2010 we decided to go at Surfside ( what a mistake).
when we arrive the owner came took our money and sent us to our room, just like that. I thought when you are in the Hotel business you must have customer service. They had none. They did not even welcome us or said "good day how was you trip". I was so angry with their attitude but i had to stick it out because there were no refund. On several occassion the owner pass us on the corridor and did not acknowledge us with a smile or a small hello. How impolite?

Now the room is another story. The floor was dusty, i had to ask for a broom and swept it myself ( i was on holiday). The lines were so worn out i could see right through it. My kids felt scorn to sleep on it ( luckly i carry my own).
The kitchen was old and dirty , the stove was old and rusty . The fridge was dirty looking.
The worst was the toilet area. My kids could not use the washroom. They had a piece of wood for a towel rack , how poor.

Then there were the mosiquitoes invasion. The noisy Ac .
They sent towels for us which were old as my grandmother ( i left mines so they could have some)

The next time i go to Tobago i will be staying at Douglas Appartments.
Surfside need to take some training from Mr. and Mrs. Douglas.

Surfside need to go and take some customer service training or else get out of the Hotel Business.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
8  Thank trinySiparia
Reviewed 6 January 2011

After reading some of the other reviews, we weren't sure what to expect. Fortunately, we were pleasantly surprised. The staff was friendly, courteous and helpful. The location was just perfect - within easy walking distance to the airport, great restaurants, beaches, mini-mart, etc. Luckily, they gave us rooms in Poolside, which is off the main street and quiet, with its own small pool and area. They provided good maid service, including fresh bath and beach towels.

The only problem was that some guests played very loud music from their vehicle, but they willingly complied when we asked them to turn the music down.

Another added feature was free wi-fi in the lobby. I would happily stay there again, but if you plan to do much cooking, some kitchen upgrades should first be done.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 November 2010

We arrived dusty and tired from Trinidad where we had stayed in one of the worst hotels I've ever been in so that may have something to do with the fact that we found the Surf Side perfect for our needs.

Sure it could use a little updating but the ac, tv, shower, and kitchette all worked perfectly. We were on a bit of a budget so the $50/night price was fine too. We used the kitchen almost every day to make some local grub.

I couldnt assign a star rating to this hotel - if you're looking for an American 3-star this might slide by as a Caribbean 3-star but if you're used to plastic key card access this probably isnt what you have in mind. For Europeans I'd think the Surf Side is much like some of the less expensive hotels you find in Ibiza or Corfu though of course without all the partying.

The location couldnt get much better - a 5 minute walk to Pigeon Point and even closer to a great little expat bar with really cheap beer! Again, we we're expecting a Four Seasons so I thought the value good. Room service kept up with all the sand we constantly tracked in and the front desk, though their English wasnt so good, was helpful when we needed something. Bed was a bit hard but c'mon, this is Tobago - a fly speck in the Caribbean, where's the adventurous spirit in so many of these reviews!

Both my girl and I would come back to the Surf Side and plan on it in fact.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2010

The location is quite good, walking distance to the beaches, food, internet cafe and taxi service, I was hardly at the location except for rest periods as I was there for the Jazz Weekend. I am a very methodical person and know just where I leave everything, at 3:00 pm, I packed and laid out the clothes I would wear to travel back to Trinidad in, I took out my jewelry to wear and tucked it under my jeans so as not to leave it exposed and the balance consisting of a silver chain with bracelet to match, a gold chain with a pendant "K" on it and a male gold ring with a jade stone and 2 diamond setting I put into a small brown envelope which i put into my shoulder bag, this bag had my ticket, some medication, a snack and an envelope which had $1,500.00 in it., at 3:30pm, I left the room to head to the beach for a dip but was experiencing problems closing the door, but as i stepped outside, the house keeper was just finishing the room next to mine so i asked her to please lock the room for me and handed her the key and which she did, handed the key back to me and i went on my way, on my return 1hr later, unlocked my door, rested a bit, showered dressed and left, dropped the key to the office and told the girl there about my problem locking the door....got on my flight and came home. Unpacking my bags a while ago (the day after) went into my bag to take out some money to pay the gardener realised that it looked less, on counting, came up with $500.00 short, on further investigation of my bag told me that my jewelery were also missing. On contacting the "hotel" the young lady who took my call promised to investigate and call me back, Her return call was non committal, how should i proceed???

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank dhotkurt
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I ended up asking for a refund and they outright told me no! I then demanded it and after much attitude from staff and the owner I finally got it. It was short of the full because of some lame excuse. I didn't care at that point, my husband and I were so disappointed, we just wanted to leave.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachaholic66
Reviewed 13 October 2009

This hotel is super.The rooms are quite comfortable- the noisy fridge is placed at your bed -head so you can expect terrific sleep at night and in the morning the face basin is not to far from the stove- you can mutitask!
The kiddie pools are (open) for long hours but closes at 9pm. As for cleaning services they are always at work and provide clean sheets for you when/ if they rememeber, dont worry if they forget you can always remind them to change the soil and already stained sheets in your room.
And while your on vacation who said anything about cooking- you will not be zealous to do this as no utensils are provided and mircowaves are non-exixstent at this surf side time zone !
Security at this hotel is up to par with leading hotels just dont expect the doors to the rooms to be made out of anything besides glass after all it is necessary to help anyone who is clusterphobic :)
On the sad end Pigeon is down the road and store bay too.
PEOPLE SET UP CAMP THERE, RATHER THAN AT THIS PLACE.
It is suitable for university students who are bankrupt and need a vacation, it provides the bare necessities!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
#7 of 20 in Crown Point
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Surf Side Hotel? Share your experiences!