“We did not want to leave....”
Review of Gingerbread Hotel

Gingerbread Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Nuevo Arenal B&B and Inns
Middleburg, Florida, United States
“We did not want to leave....”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed at the Gingerbread Fine Restaurant and Boutique Hotel in the Parrot Room for 2 nights when we first arrived, wanted to stay a third night but it was booked solid, so we stayed elsewhere. Upon our departure of Costa Rica May 9th, we spent the last 4 nights in the Butterfly Room. Everyone MUST EXPERIENCE a stay or at least eat at Gingerbread Restaurant and Boutique Hotel, you will be so entertained by the owner whom is also the gourmet Chef Eyal. If you get offended strong language , then you may not care for it, however, that is Eyal. The most sweetest, kindest, giving and most accommodating person I have ever met. He has such a good heart. How many owners will have your meal (that not only was the MOST DELICIOUS FOOD you will ever eat, but so much of it) have his staff wrap up your food and put in the fridge for you, if you are staying in the Hotel? I will forewarn you, do not insult Chef Eyal by asking for Salt, Pepper, Ketchup or Mayonnaise, he will let you know in front of everyone how you have insulted him and his cooking. We saw that first hand with someone that did just that. His staff will bend over backwards for you also, they are wonderful. You will receive excellent service from all his staff employees. We will be going back and this time, I will be making reservations. I LOVE We stayed at the Gingerbread Fine Restaurant and Boutique Hotel in the Parrot Room for 2 nights when we first arrived, wanted to stay a third night but it was booked solid, so we stayed elsewhere. Upon our departure of Costa Rica May 9th, we spent the last 4 nights in the Butterfly Room. Everyone MUST EXPERIENCE a stay or at least eat at Gingerbread Restaurant and Boutique Hotel, you will be so entertained by the owner whom is also the gourmet Chef Eyal. If you get offended strong language , then you may not care for it, however, that is Eyal. The most sweetest, kindest, giving and most accommodating person I have ever met. He has such a good heart. How many owners will have your meal (that not only was the MOST DELICIOUS FOOD you will ever eat, but so much of it) have his staff wrap up your food and put in the fridge for you, if you are staying in the Hotel? I will forewarn you, do not insult Chef Eyal by asking for Salt, Pepper, Ketchup or Mayonnaise, he will let you know in front of everyone how you have insulted him and his cooking. We saw that first hand with someone that did just that. His staff will bend over backwards to please you, they are so wonderful. We will be staying there when we move over to Costa Rica but this time, I will make reservation. Bon Appetite!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
USA
Reviewed 19 July 2013

After reading reviews for Gingerbread we were excited to experience not only the food but also meet Eyal, the creator of this wonderful place. He did not disappoint. Eyal is a warm boisterous wonderful bear, very generous and full of passion for his work. We absolutely loved him and his staff.

The food was excellent and inexpensive when you consider 3 or 4 people can dine on one entree. The drinks were also inexpensive. This is a must for dinner if you are anywhere in the Arenal area. The breakfast, which is include in the price of the room was also delicious.

The hotel is very quaint and the rooms were very fun, original, comfortable and clean. The shower with open screened roof was amazing. There are too many special touches to list but you will enjoy discovering each of them.

The location is great, just outside Nuevo Arenal on the main lake road.
I would highly recommend Gingerbread for dinning lodging and great company in this area. There is always someone interesting at the bar to talk to. We can't wait to return, not only for the food but to see Eyal.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 June 2013

My husband and I are residents of Nuevo Arenal spending more and more time there as the years go by . The Gingerbread experience is one that you will never forget. The food is to die for. And I am not easily impressed. The conversation is the most intelligent that you will find there. Beth is a doll. Eyal is eccentric but he can be if he can produce that kind'a meal. I am from the southern states and I know what good food is. This is the best that I have had throughout Europe and South America. As I tell all of my friends who go there "you have to eat at the Gingerbread." Love all you guys at GB. See ya soon. K. King

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Destin, Florida
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This restaurant was recommended by both the owner and the manager of the villa we rented at Lake Arenal. The food was wonderful and beutifully presented but one word of caution, do ask about the amount of spice in your particular dish. Eyal likes to cook "picante" dishes and I can not tolerate anything hot or spicy. My husband and our friends were all fine with the hot dishes but I could not eat it. I ordered a salad that was absolutely wonderul, lots of avacado, hearts of palm, sun dried tomatoes and capers with a very tasty dressing. The highlight of our meal was dessert, we tried 3 different ones and all were fantastic! If in the Lake Arenal area, do not miss the Gingerbread, even if you just go for dessert! Since we did not stay here, we can only speak for the restaurant, not the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Boca Raton, Florida, USA
Reviewed 13 May 2013

The rooms had no locks and were very basic. The food was not very interesting and not very good. It is not cheap and not worth the value for money. They do not take credit cards and the owner/manager Eyal was a less than welcoming person to be in the hospitality business. We have had better food and much much nicer service in the 3 trips and 3 months in total that we have spent in Costa Rica. Would highly not recommend this establishment.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Prepare for the best food in Costa Rica, but it comes with a wild night of 'on the edge' fun. The Chef Eyal is both outstanding and out-spoken! After teasing my daughter about being a small eater, she finally stood up to him and asked "where the hell is my lemonade". Needless to say, the drink was on the house!

the food is second to none. I absolutely recommend this restaurant. Come hungry and let the chef Eyal pick what you will eat. If you can't take a little 'language', stay away and miss out!

Room Tip: didn't stay at the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My husband and I recently returned from our first visit to Costa Rica, specifically the Lake Arenal area. While there we stayed at the Gingerbread Hotel. Our room had walls and ceilings which were beautiful hand-painted murals. But the absolute best reason to stay there is the food!!! Eyal, the owner is also the chef, and what a chef he is! We are planning on returning to Costa Rica and we will most certainly be returning for some of Eyal's scrumptious meals! Costa Rica is a beautiful country with little to no pollution, but the infrastructure still needs some work.

Room Tip: There was no swimming pool or fitness center at the Gingerbread Hotel. Avoid unpaved roads if t all...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
#7 of 12 in Nuevo Arenal
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa
#8 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Gingerbread Hotel? Share your experiences!