“Lovely Lake Arenal B & B”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Villa Decary

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nuevo Arenal
Villa Decary
Ranked #1 of 12 Nuevo Arenal B&B and Inns
Claremont, California
“Lovely Lake Arenal B & B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

Our three-day stay at Villa Decary was the best part of our two-weeks in Costa Rica. The setting is absolutely lovely with many types of palm trees through which we could see Lake Arenal from the deck of our casita. From this vantage point we also saw (and heard) a good number of beautiful and fascinating local birds. It was so relaxing to just sit outside and absorb the intricacies of the natural world around us. Suzy Brown (co-owner) helped us plan some great outings in the area, including an exceptionally interesting visit to the Elkin ranch where we experienced "the real Costa Rica." Also Suzy played a big role in planning our entire trip to the country. This was immensely helpful given our minimal knowledge of Spanish. Breakfasts at the villa were an extra-special treat: lovely and utterly delicious! Villa Decary is a magical place. Many thanks to Suzy and Elkin and the rest of the staff!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

This was our second visit to Villa Decary as we loved it so much the first time. The hot springs in the area are amazing with the view of the Arenal volcano in the backdrop. The bird watching right from our cabina was great with stunning views of the lake. The hospitality of Susie, Elkin, Miguel, and Olivia (the dog) is unbeatable and the breakfast is still the best I have had at any B & B!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Hockessin, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

Everything about Villa Decary is wonderful. The location is breathtakingly beautiful, an oasis overlooking Lake Arenal. We stayed at Villa Decary for 2 weeks. Suzy was a great hostess. She is very knowledgeable about the activities, places of interest, and the restuarants in the area. We sought her advice daily and enjoyed everything she recommended. We stayed in Casita Zambia. It was clean, nicely furnished, the bed was comfortable, the views were amazing. Elkin and Miguel make a fantastic breakfast. The coffee, fresh fruit, homemade bread, pancakes, tamales, omlets.... everything was delicious. Most days we did not eat lunch! Besides being great chefs, Miguel and Elkin also shared their vast knowledge of the wildlife, plants, and history of Costa Rica. Olivia, the four-legged, furry amabassador, was a delight. She is the sweetest dog I have ever met. Visiting Costa Rica was a dream of mine for a long time. I am so glad we stayed at Villa Decary. Thank you for the best vacation ever!
Susanne, Delaware

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

We had a wonderful time in Villa Decary and enjoyed exceptional hospitality from Suzy and awesome breakfasts prepared by Elkin. We are vegetarians(lacto ovo) and one of the days Elkin prepared yummy vegetarian tamales for us.Our 13 year old daughter was in tears when we left Villa Decary because she fell in love with their wonderful dog,Olivia who was also a great hiker/runner.Rooms were clean,views were breathtaking,food was awesome,entertainment provided by Olivia..what else can you ask for in a Costa Rican vacation.Thank you Suzy and Elkin.

Vembus,Phoenix

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

While this b&b doesn't have the bed/sheets/pillow you might want from an above average b&b, the overall experience more than makes up for this. It is in a truly peaceful setting overlooking Lake Arenal. It has a great hiking trail through the rainforest which Olivia, their pet dog, will more than likely guide you through. Suzy is a great host and will help you choose things to do while you're there. We stayed for two nights and on the first evening we drove to Tabacon resort which is about 30 minutes away. This is a must do...even for the money (especially nice in the evening with the lighting). The next day we went on their exclusive tour (guided by Elkin, one of their employees). Elkin, a great host as well, took us on a tour of his parents farm where we were enthusiastically met by his mother and other friends and family. He took us on a hike through their property which included walking through the rainforest as well as crossing their river/creek numerous times. Water shoes are a must and can be borrowed from the b&b. The water is a little on the cooler side but very refreshing to swim in. When we returned from the hike, about 1-2 hours, his mother prepared us the most amazing Costa Rican meal. I truly enjoyed the food as it reminded me so much of my mother's own authentic Italian meals, especially how it was all prepared by hand and cooked on a wood burning stove outside. This was the genuine Costa Rican experience I was looking for when I booked our vacation. The evening concluded with a very good meal at the Gingerbread restaurant which is in walking distance. Sleeping at this b&b is amazing if you like to hear lots of nature at night. Be prepared to be awaken by howler monkeys and their calls around 4 in the morning (awesome sound as well). The breakfasts are great and very filling. Overall, this b&b stay is highly recommended for a genuine Costa Rican experience. Tony and Greg

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner room on the second floor...they have casitas as well but not sure how they wer...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012 via mobile

This is at a beautiful spot surrounded by jungle. We saw toucans from our balcony. We saw some howler monkeys here as well. Dan and Susie were wonderful and so helpful. The breakfasts were amazing. We enjoying a farm tour with Elkin. My sister Hope and I loved it here! Thank you for the experience!

• Stayed June 2012
Arenal, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

Villa Decary is hands-down the best place that my boyfriend and I have stayed in all of our travels. In October of 2011, my boyfriend and I intended to travel to Costa Rica to explore and choose a place to live together. We were thinking of settling somewhere on the pacific coast but before heading out there we stayed at Villa Decary. We loved the stay at Villa Decary so much that we kept extending our stay. After a few days of paradise, we decided to head to Monte Verde. We stayed for two days and decided that since we loved our experience so much at Villa Decary then why not settle in Nuevo Arenal. So we headed back. The drive to Villa Decary is gorgeous and once you reach the villa, it feels like you are on another planet. It is tucked away on a hill that overlooks the lake and is surrounded by lots of trees which birds love. Some of these trees have plenty of fruit as well which makes it even more tempting for the gorgeous birds. I was mesmerized by the cacao tree and Elkin and Miguel helped grab a cacao pod, broke it open, and showed us how to eat one. I would not suggest grabbing a pod on your own. Ask one of the staff and they will determine which is the best for picking. Dan, Elkin, Miguel, and Olivia (the lovely dog) greeted us at the hotel every day. They were all very kind and allowed us space when we wanted and would socialize when we wanted as well. I know some people like to have privacy and don't like to talk much when traveling and they want to just escape. That can happen at Villa Decary as the staff is very receptive to what people want and need. My boyfriend and I were not having one of those vacations but I did see a few people staying at the villa who liked their privacy and they were able to get just that. They have lovely breakfasts and the staff is very knowledgeable about the surrounding area and about Costa Rica as well. I remember when my boyfriend and I wanted to eat at Moya's (make sure to check it out!) and we weren't sure when it closed. Miguel made a phone call to them for us to see when they closed which was very considerate as we had no cell phone at that point. We were taken to Elkin's family's farm where we hiked, swam, and enjoyed an amazing lunch made by his mother. It was a magical experience and being led throughout the rainforest with Elkin as our guide was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us. We had other friends that had just relocated to Costa Rica and they were in awe of our experience with these great people! I now call Elkin my brother and his mother is my mother. I cherish that family. I also got to know Miguel and his family and they are great as well. If you have time, visit Miguel's bakery in town. My boyfriend loves getting their baked goods and we have often bought eggs there as well. Olivia, the dog, is the most special dog I have ever met. She will usually greet you when you come back to the villa and she will sometimes follow you when you leave. She is very friendly so do not worry. The villa itself is very comfortable and I loved falling asleep to the noises of the rainforest. You can choose a basic room without a kitchen or you could choose a room with a kitchen. We stayed in both types of rooms and they were excellent (clean, comfortable, spacious, etc.) The views are gorgeous and there are trails on site. I highly recommend this gem of a place to anyone. I have left out Suzy because we have yet to meet her but I can't wait until we do. Pura vida!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
#2 of 12 in Nuevo Arenal
Agua Inn
Agua Inn
#4 of 12 in Nuevo Arenal

Been to Villa Decary? Share your experiences!