“Good Place to Stop”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We made a brief stop here and only got some pastries to go. The pastries were EXCELLENT!!! We wished we had stayed to eat a meal as the restaurant looked good but we had no time. We would certainly return.

1  Thank Deborah G

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had a long drive to Playa Grande and stopped in because of the good reviews. Unfortunately, my visit was not what I expected. I ordered a pretzel and I wanted a brown sausage. This was not on the menu. Clearly a problem when the ticket is pre-printed and the waitress doesn't know how to put in a special order. The owner, Tom, explained to us very curtly that this was the waitresses first week (no problem) and we needed to speak SLOWLY and NORMALLY for her to understand. Well I don't quite know how that would make a difference when she didn't speak English. Needless to say my order came out with two white sausages on a plate and nothing else. When I pointed to the menu item, and repeated again what I wanted she returned to the kitchen and Tom came out with a sausage that was again not what I ordered. I then asked for just a pretzel which he never brought me. Everyone in my party was done eating and I never got anything. I will say everyone said their sandwiches were good. Even if they were a little skimpy and over-priced. The place and bathrooms were very clean. However, I think the owner needs to brush up on people skills and accommodate his patrons. Especially when they are travelers.

1  Thank mflanagan801
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stopped at Tom's Pan for a quick pastry while driving to the pacific coast. When we arrived the bakery was close however we were lucky enough to run into the owner who actually brought us back to his kitchen and allowed us to choose pastries he had after closing time. The baked goods were wonderful, and the place has a very relaxed and chill vibe overall. We really appreciated the level of hospitality offered to us by Tom and his employees which led to a very memorable stop in Costa Rica. Highly recommend that you visit the German Bakery for either dessert or lunch!

1  Thank MilenaMarkovic
Reviewed 12 July 2014

A fun restaurant, enjoyable atmosphere, easy to find, and great food. We stopped and had lunch and my tuna sandwich was unlike any I have ever had and totally delicious. The bread was flavorful, wonderful texture, the tuna tasted fresh to me and the fixins of tomato, salad, corn onion and secret sauce made a very hearty meal. For finishers I had some of the apple streudle from the bakery side of the business… and, on my way back I am definitely pit stopping again to pick up some bread and more streudle for our journey back to Samara. The Apple Streudle was the best I have ever had for texture and taste…. mmm… even the mental replay is good!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The drive between Arenal and Monteverde is truly hair-raising. We needed a break and picked this German Bakery. It was a great place to stop for some breakfast pastries. The croissants and danish were very good.