“Great find”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
“Great find”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Delicous breakfast. Great atmosphere and a fun place to eat. I have never eaten a German breakfast and I loved it. I will stop in next time I'm there.

• Visited July 2014

• Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
“Fab Place”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

What a nice spot for coffee and pastry! Tom was great - my friend answered Tom's riddle and we got free coffee! Definitely worth a stop. In addition to the baked goods, Tom's also has in interesting selection of cigars and liquors. Very we glad we stopped.

Visited July 2014
“Unexpected German bakery in Costa Rica”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I know I shouldn't be surprised by the prolific travels of German expats but this was an unexpected but wonderful find in Costa Rica. There was a pleasant assortment of authentic baked goods and lunch/dinner items. And German beer! Worth the quick stop before the continuation of a rough drive.

Visited August 2014
San Francisco, California
“NO communication about kitchen delay, forgot a meal”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My family of 4 came here to get lunch on the way to Monteverde. We all ordered sandwiches, hoping it would be somewhat fast. We tell our waiter, Tom, that we're unfortunately in a hurry and would like the food to go if possible. After waiting for 40-50 minutes, we ask what the delay is, and Tom finally says that there's a problem in the kitchen... Something that he clearly could have told us without us asking. Plus, a chef seemed to be eating his lunch, which doesn't make sense if the kitchen's backed up. However, no one didn't seem to care that we were waiting and it took another 30 minutes before we got our food though Tom knew we were in a rush. Luckily we checked the bag before we drove off because they had FORGOTTEN one of the sandwiches. Seriously? When we went back in to get it, they casually handed it to us, already made. Like it was normal. I'm never the type to leave a mean review but this was ridiculous.

Short version: No one bothered to tell us there was a problem in the kitchen and it would take over an hour to get the food even though they knew we were in a hurry. When we finally got the food they forgot to put a sandwich in the bag and didn't apologize for anything.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Rebecca D
Santa Fe
“Outstanding find”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We followed the numerous road signs to the German Bakery on our way to the Pacific coast and were pleasantly surprised to find a clean and organized German restaurant in the lovely town of Nuevo Arenal. Tom, the proprieter greeted us in three languages. He seemed to be the only waiter so he was quite busy during the lunch hour, but he handled every table with efficiency and a friendly smile. On our one visit, we met Germans, Spaniards, Americans, and, of course, Ticos. The food was exceptional. The fruit was perfectly ripe, the bread was amazing, the bratwurst was toasty browned on the outside and delicious on the inside. My son had scrambled eggs which were brilliantly seasoned. It was one of the best German meals I've ever had. The only small downsides were that it was a little pricey and the meal took a little longer than I would have liked. In both respects, however, the quality of the experience easily made the visit worthwhile. I will happily go out of my way to visit again on any future trip to Costa Rica.

• Visited August 2014