“Arenal Lake View Oasis”
Villa Encantada Lakefront  40 acre Eco-Nature Preserve. 'You'll think you died and went to heaven'
Villa Encantada ~~ A vacation DESTINATION~`~ one you won't forget Villa Encantada ~~ Tri Level Architectural Masterpiece for your enjoyment
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Villa Encantada ~~ A vacation DESTINATION~`~ one you won't forget
Villa Encantada ~~ Tri Level Architectural Masterpiece for your enjoyment
Side View ~~Huge Terrace w/ Lake Views. Perfect for your family reunion or wedding celebration
Your Hosts at Villa Encantada ~~ Family Photo of Glenn, Patricia and Gloriana
Kayaking in your Backyard.. too much fun!
Kayaks for up to 10 persons (included~~ no extra charge). Kayak on the Ponds or 5 min walk to lake
Brand New (June 2013) 100 ft Waterslide at Twilight
5 yr old enjoying the Waterslide. Fun for all ages. Little people don't go too fast. It's safe!
Priceless Moments.. what a Blast!
Spring Fed Swimming Pool (no chemicals)
Pool at Twilight ~~ Chemical Free Crystal Clear Spring Water ~~ A Dream Come True!
The Owner and your Host, Glenn.. enjoying the fruits of his labor. This is where YOU need to be!
Waterslide.. Awesome adventure! Want to go fast..lay down ~~ 100 ft in 4 seconds..WOW! Gravity Rules
Professionally manicured Bermuda Grass Greens.  Nominal extra fees may apply. Totally PRIVATE
Play Golf on site. Right out the door on our Estate. Awesome and Private!
Enjoy our walking course. Top quality manicured bermuda greens/fairways. We have golf clubs/balls
WooHoo!!! My first Hole in One after 35 years of golf... a 90 yard
Lob Wedge shot. ~~ SWEET!!!
Villa Encantada Magical and Mezmerizing photo by Guest Randy Gribbin taken  in Jan 2012
Another Fabulous Sunset at Villa Encantada
Meet Chalupa, our resident 2 Toed Sloth ~~ scroll down for more pics of this tame, sweet animal
Chalupa lives in the tree next to the Pool/Slide.. she's free and not a caged animal
Chalupa climbing her tree in the gardens.. right next to the Pool/Slide. She's free and happy !
Lindo ~~ our Axanthic (Blue Morph) Green Iguna is a regular visitor to our gardens. ,more pics below
Glenn w/ Lindo, our tame Blue Morph Green Iguana..Awesome colors to be found only in Nature
Howler Monkey on a daily visit ~~chillin' out on the Preserve.
Villa Guest with Bass caught in our backyard pond.. delicious dinner.. YUM!
Your kids will forget where the left their Ipods/Nintendos
Your kids will have a blast swimming in this huge pond over 120 ft X 100 ft
Refreshing outdoor shower prior to entering the swimming pool. This young man is a happy camper!
Villa Encantada Private Waterfalls in the Rainforest
Awesome beauty of Nature found on our Trails
Villa Encantada Guests enjoying a massage
Nature at its Exquisite Best
Your own Private Paradise
Tame Peacock meandering thru the gardens of Villa Encantada
Peacock in it's Mating Ritual at Villa Encantada
Master BR Suite w/ Queen Sized Bed,  Fireplace, Full Bath & Incredible Lake & Garden Views
Master BR Suite 2nd pic perspective from front view.
Swan Towel Sculpture ~~ Deatils of a fine hotel await you
Newly Remodeled Master Bath
Mini-Master 1 Suite with Queen Sized hand carved bed overlooks manicured gardens and Rainforest
Front view of Mini-Master 1, exquisite hand carved furnishing
Mini-Master 2 Suite with Queen Sized hand carved bed overlooks manicured gardens, Ponds & Rainforest
Mini-Master 2 ~~ ALL suites elegantly furnished w/  full length drapes, & private entry from Gardens
Fine Hand Carved Doors throughout Villa Encantada
Master Loft, sleeps 4 or 6 using the Sofa Bed, awesome views of the Lake and Gardens
Master Loft has a Double Bed, 2 Singles and a Double Sofa Bed.. ALL new Furniture and Ortho Beds
Dining area w/ Unique Carved Table for 8, w/ glass walls to enjoy Nature at your fingertips
Wet Bar and Kitchen overlooking the Ponds and Garden, Hand Craved Doors and Hardwood are everywhere
Dining Room with Living Room ~~ Casual Elegance at it's Best!
Sunken Living Room has Fireplace and Super Comfortable Sofa
Hand Painted Mural of Lake Arenal. Guitar and othe instruments for your enjoyment, play some music
C. Garvey's pic of Spiral Starcase at Villa Encantada
Garden view from Master Loft deck.. great spot for some R&R
Main Living Area w/ Wet Bar, Sunken Living Room/ Fireplace and Awesome Lake Arenal views
Sunken Living Room  with Fireplace & Awesome Lake Views ~~ Cable TV ~~ WiFi ~~~~ SWEET!!!
Lake View from the Master Loft has outside deck to take your coffee or read a book, or suntan
Full Kitchen w/ Granite Counter Tops, Wet Bar, New Appliances & Refi w/ Ice Maker. Everything U need
Wet Bar/ Kitchen overlooking our Gardens, Ponds and Lake Arenal. Nature at it's best!
Full wrap around kitchen with plenty of space.
Our Lovely Tame Peacocks wandering thru the Gardens
Your Host ~ Glenn showing off a 9 lb Guapote Bass caught in the pond at the villa ~ and released
We have some 10 Lb Bass to catch and release right in your back yard ~ Awesome Fishing
Fly Fishing on the Villa Encantada Eco-Preserve. You CAN catch fish on our streams... Awesome!
Lake Arenal & Rain Forest view from our 1200 sq ft deck perfect for Weddings and Family Reunions
Spacious Terraza overlooking Lake Arenal
Miles of Manicured Gardens ~~ Everywhere
Villa Encantada ~~ An Architectural Delight
Villa Encantada ~~ Front View
Villa Encantada... an architectural delight
Huge tiled deck for catching a tan. Great place for your family reunion or Wedding!
Comfy furniture for a relaxing day. Fire up the BBQ and enjoy life ~~ you deserve it!
Your own private Paradise. It's our pleasure to share this with yor group/family
Sit under this waterfall for a great massage.
Our private pool on the river for a nice swim.. concrete lined.. and so refreshing.
Your Host Glenn at the Waterfalls Pool
Pristine Waterfalls  and swimming area
Volcan Arenal~~ a safe 15 miles from Villa Encantada..Awesome & Spectacular to watch Lava Flows
Huge BBQ overlooking the Ponds and Gardens
Villa Encantada Front Terraza pic by R. Gribbin 01/12
Magical Full Moon over Villa Encantada
Pond at Villa Encantada to Kayak, swim and fish
Swimming Pool Waterfall ~~ Crystal Clear Chemical Free Water ~~ You can Drink this Water.. honest!
Swimming Pool Waterfall...details like this everywhere
Puma Woodcarving on our trails ~~  a work of Art
Arbol Encantado (Magic Tree) Old Growth Primary Forest Tree at 300+ ft tall on our Nature Preserve
Arbol Encantado only a 5 minute hike from Villa Encantada. Over 400 years old ~~ simply INCREDIBLE!
Rainforest Stream ~~ Waterfalls everywhere! Thanks Scott for some great Pics!
The Villa Encantada Tandem Falls after a Rainshower.. the force & beauty of Nature at it's BEST!
Let me take you on a Trail Hike..the next 10 pics of Primary Rainforest, Manicured Trails, Waterfall
After 20 Years nothing delights me more than an early morning hike.. always new critters and Nature
Monkey Trail.. along the River w/ waterfalls,lots of wildlife, including Howler & Whiteface Momkeys
Awesome scenery at every turn
Primary Old Growth Rainforest still amazes me after 15 years
Mini Falls.. a great spot to relax and enjoy Nature
Miles of Manicured Trails... well marked ~~ you can't get lost
Easy access trails ~~ for explorers of all ages
LadyBug Trail.. well manicured with lots of Orchids and  photo opportunities
Bridge to the Island
Rare... Poison Dart Frog found on a trail hike
Surprises like this tiny Tree Frog around every corner
White Tail Deer on a frequent visit to Villa Encantada
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

760es
Upper Montclair, New Jersey
“Arenal Lake View Oasis”
Reviewed 8 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017
people found this review helpful

You can tell who cares about what they do. They do more not so they can say "we do more" but because they think it will make your experience more interesting, more memorable. All of that extra effort is something you can touch and feel at Villa Encantada. There are so many physical elements that have been discussed in other reviews that clearly make the Villa outshine all of the others that dot the Lake so this review will not focus on those physical aspects. Instead, I will talk about what is the driving heart and soul of this peaceful place: Owner Glenn McBride.

Glenn's sweat and tears are in the Villa. He cares about it so much that it's grounds are manicured to the level of 5-star hotels that I have stayed at. A fishing pond, a fresh mountain water pool and slide, patios abound, and hiking trails are among the amenities that distinguish the property. The interior of the Villa itself makes you feel like you entered someone else's home complete with trinkets and and personal artifacts on the walls - Glenn is sharing his home and I would venture to guess he comes here as well to get away for a while. How could he not?

Glenn doesn't stop giving there, however. He is a proactive host but not to the point that you wish you could escape from your own vacation. He is a solutions provider from booking zip line tours (then telling you that the day you planned it would work better on a day when the weather is more agreeable AND then reschedules it for you.), to being your advocate with the local car rental agency when things go wrong, to offering only-in-the-know driving directions that will make you feel like a local because of the inside knowledge he armed you with.

His knowledge is as endless as his good heart. Somewhere in his life he decided it was better to be happy and open rather than be critical and judgmental. He fits the setting and the people of Costa Rica beautifully because the kindness in this country knows no bounds.

If you have the means and/or the will to visit Neuvo Arenal, explore it from Villa Encantada. You will have without question the best seat in the house. Go here.

Date of stay: July 2017
26 Jul 2017
WOW ... Eric, your glowing Guest Review is more than any Innkeeper could ever hope for and it surly gives me the resolve to continue my efforts in helping our guests to have the best and most memorable vacation of their lives... to return time and again and tell there friends/family about their awesome experiences both at the villa and exploring the Lake Arenal area.

A very high percentage of our guests are via personal reference from past guests and when a guest returns or sends a friend/family member.. I double down to make sure that everything they've heard is spot on and more.

I certainly try to make the difference and appreciate your comment that I try to be proactive and helpful... but not to the point of being an annoyance. I contact my guests just about on a daily basis by telephone or occasional personal visit to make sure that everything is perfect and to help with any info that they may need, and after 19 years of receiving literally thousand of guests at Villa Encantada, I think I've gotten to the point of knowing where to draw that line and that our guests are happy and thankful that I'm always there for them.. 24/7. I am very thankful for this opportunity and very much appreciate your comments and choosing Villa Encantada as your Costa Rican destination.
Hasta Proximo (see you next time).
Your Host and friend, Glenn
Ashley T
“Dream Property, Dream Host. BOOK NOW you won't be disappointed!”
Reviewed 29 June 2017 for a stay in April 2017
person found this review helpful

We had the most incredible time you could possibly imagine at Villa Encantada. The pictures are gorgeous, but even they do not do this phenomenal property justice. It truly is paradise. I spent countless MONTHS looking at all the properties in the area and there is no contest. Villa Encantada has everything you could potentially want.

The grounds are stunning. Everywhere you look is lush, verdant landscaping. We had our wedding pictures taken on site because the beauty of this property is beyond compare ( I wish it would allow me to share the pictures with this review). The pond is well kept and delightfully picturesque, the trails are easily traversed, and the waterfalls are stunning. You can walk to the lake and kayak, or swim, or fish. The trails are well designed and Glenn even provides a map (which includes time and difficulty). I know I am repeating myself but I cannot adequately express how spectacular this property truly is. The water-slide offers endless fun for those of all ages, the trails are a boon for those who love to explore and those who enjoy a scenic walk alike. The view from the terrace and the front door is perfection. This property has something (lots of somethings!) for everyone. Glenn has poured his heart into this miraculous spot and it shows. We would stay forever if we could afford to be away from reality for that long!

In addition to the property being incredible there is Glenn! He is the most welcoming, helpful, thoughtful, and kind host I have ever had the pleasure of working with. He has made sure every potential need you have while staying at Villa Encantada is filled. It was a running joke throughout our stay that anything you might think of, that would be helpful, Glenn had already thought of it. Whether it was life jackets, crock pots, Tupperware, fishing gear, laundry soap, etc. Glenn had us covered. Glenn went out of his way to make this an exceptional stay for each and every person. Glenn was my saving grace, helping me coordinate and plan a wedding that turned out just perfect. If you are considering getting married in the area or planning an event in town hire Glenn- It was the best decision I could have made!

There are plenty of activities in the area, from ziplining, hiking, waterfalls, atv's, paddleboarding, hotsprings, Rio Celeste, etc. However you might find it difficult to leave the paradise of Villa Encantada. Make sure you stay long enough to enjoy all the beauty and peace this place has to offer.

Date of stay: April 2017
26 Jul 2017
WOW.... WOW!!! ...Ashley and Ryan... What an Incredible Guest Review... Wow! Muchísimas Gracias Amiga/o for such a detailed and heartfelt 5 Star Guest Review. You booked Villa Encantada a full year prior to your arrival for your Wedding Ceremony which started out with 15 persons and grew to 40+, so that meant I had to find additional accommodations for your family/friends... and thankfully was able to get everyone settled in. By the time you arrived I felt like you were my best high school buddy ~~ and I just checked my inbox~~ and we exchanged (more than 187 email messages.. no kidding)!! You were always pleasant, patient and non-demanding and it truly was my pleasure helping to make your special event memorable and hassle free. I can laugh about it now, but you put me (and my wife Patricia) to the test... and from your Awesome Guest Review ~~ I guess I (we) passed! Coordinating accommodations, tour activities for your group, and finally your Incredible Wedding Reception at the Las Tinajas Restaurant (they did a spectacular job on your behalf) and it was alot of work, but was well worth the effort, and I mean that in a personal and not monetary manner! Your group used Villa Encantada as it's gathering point and it was so refreshing to see so many happy faces and I do hope you'll all find your way back to your "home away from home" at Villa Encantada. We'll keep the light on for ya! Warm Regards, Glenn and Patricia
959cooper
Fraser, Colorado
“Wonderful, relaxing and very peaceful with tons of things to do!”
Reviewed 26 June 2017 for a stay in May 2017

We were there for around 10 days and barely even touched the things to do in the area. Had great weather. Glenn was an excellent host and booked our zip lining and horseback ride. He also pointed us in the right direction for our dining needs. This is an excellent family spot although it was only my husband and myself, I will be back with friends and family. Highly recommended. Thanks Glenn for a wonderful stay!

Date of stay: May 2017
Hi Gretchen,

Thanks so much for your 5 Star personal recommendation of Villa Encantada. I appreciate it very much and am glad I had the opportunity of hosting you and your husband and that your 10 day visit was all you had hoped for... and of course it's always nice to hear that you intend to to return and bring your friends/family with you next time. We'll keep the light on for you Gretchen and look forward to your next visit.

Warm Regards,
Jason K
Phoenix, Arizona
“Perfect for our family”
Reviewed 17 June 2017 for a stay in May 2017
person found this review helpful

We spent about a week at this villa. We took a shuttle from the Airport to the house and then we had Adobe rental car deliver a car to us. For GPS and getting around download and use the WAZE app. Almost every place we went we found with WAZE. It also takes very little data to use. Glenn the owner of the house was very friendly and very helpful. He answered every question that we had and made us feel at home. Everything we needed was provided for us in the home. The only improvement that could be made would be the comfort of the beds. We had a toddle so he even went out of his way to set up a pool fence and a crib to help us out. The property was beautiful. You have the entire property to yourself. Our kids loved the water slide, they went down it hundreds of times. They enjoyed fishing at the little pond, feeding the fish, watching the peacock, using the pool, using the wifi and walking all of the trails in the rain forest. We did a lot of day trips from the house. It was about a 45 minute drive to The Springs Resort which offered a two day adventure pass. It was about 1 hour to La Fortuna and 1.5 hours to Proyecto Asis where we could feed the monkeys. Plenty to see and do in the area and plenty to see and do at the house. Depending where you go you may need a 4WD. For the house and the town you are ok without it but for The Springs and getting to some of the restaurants we needed it. Our two favorite places to eat were Gingerbread and Tinajas. For the best exchange rate use a credit card if they take it or have some colones. American dollars are accepted but most of the time it was no where near close to the current rate. If we were to ever go back to this area we would stay here again in a heartbeat. We have some videos and pictures posted on youtube, just search Nuevo Arenal and Villa Encantada.

Date of stay: May 2017
Hola Jason,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed and informative 5 Star Guest Review. I do recall you saying you couldn't believe that your time at Villa Encantada had passed sooo quickly ~~ and that with so much to do right at the villa, combined with the huge selection of off site activities, you could have easily stayed another week.... and we';; keep the light on for you and hope to see you again next year.

I also wanted to mention that I bought (6) new mattresses about 2 years ago and in fact just received another guest comments that the beds were very comfortable., so I'm a bit confused! I do plan on asking new guests their opinion on the beds and by all means if I do get any negative response will certainly take it seriously and make the appropriate changes... as my priority above all is that our guests have the best vacation of their lives and are comfortable... and thanks for mentioning this.

It was a pleasure hosting your family and thanks for choosing Villa Encantada as your destination here in Costa Rica.
Warm Regards,
Liz-Mikko
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
“Perfect for all ages, Villa Encantada left all of us wishing we booked longer.”
Reviewed 24 January 2017 for a stay in January 2017
person found this review helpful

My wife, 3 kids and my parents just returned from Costa Rica and the highlight of our trip was staying at Villa Encantada. The house and grounds are simply amazing and will leave you wishing you had more time. We stayed for 4 nights and could have easily spent 7. The best bird watching was on the property with many types of jays and toucans eating at the feeder. Everyone enjoyed the pools and the 100 foot water slide. 5 star properties also have 5 star owners and Glenn is the most welcoming and helpful owner. He was like a personal concierge arranging our tours and giving us maps to the places we are going since the roads in Costa Rica are not well marked. We can't wait to make our return visit.

Date of stay: January 2017
25 Jan 2017
Dear Mikko,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a great 5 Star Guest Review. That our Villa Encantada was the highlight of your Costa Rican vacation is what we strive for... and that we'll have the opportunity of hosting your family in the future makes all of our hard work well worth the effort. Thanks for allowing us to be of service and helping make your special family vacation all it could be... and more, with memories to last a lifetime.
Gracias Amigo,
allrightg...
Montgomery, Texas
“Villa Encantada is a wonderful experience in a beautiful part of the world”
Reviewed 6 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016

We just spent a long holiday week-end with family at Villa Encantada with a number of family members. It was as beautiful and comfortable as advertised, if not more so. The owner, Glenn, was great to work with. He provided a wealth of information about activities in the area and helped us select a zipline tour that did a great job accommodating a seven-year old member of our party. Since our party was too big to all stay at the Villa, he arranged an additional house a few minutes away to take the overflow. He met us on our arrival and showed us around the property, providing a map of the trails, and checked on us regularly during our stay. We really enjoyed the well laid out trails throughout the property. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and well maintained and the views of the lake and rainforest are spectacular. We had six kids aged seven and under who would have spent the entire stay making the circuit up and down the water slide if the adults had the stamina to stay with them. (OK, the adults had their share of fun on the slide as well, especially when they could splash an unsuspecting onlooker.) Another popular activity was fishing in the pond located on the property, especially from the island in the middle. We hiked down to Lake Arenal, but didn’t fish there – that will have to wait on a future trip. The house itself is beautiful and comfortable with lots of nice touches. It is well stocked with towels (including for the pool), pots, pans, dishes, basic spices, etc. – far better than we have experienced in other rentals. Nuevo Arenal (sometimes just called Arenal) is only three or four miles away and has a grocery, meat vendor and bakery, as well as a pharmacy and we shopped and cooked most dinners at the Villa. There are a number of good restaurants in the area, and we had lunch at several, but we preferred not to drive at night. But watch your fuel level – the “gasolineria” in town was closed while we were there and is reputed to be expensive when open. The closest we found was Tilaran (about 15 miles) or La Fortuna (about 30 miles), but there are a lot of activities in and around La Fortuna, so you may be going there anyway. Remember that you are in a rainforest and I read somewhere that it typically rains at some point during 22 or 23 days in September, the month we were there, and it rained three of four days we were there, but only one day for a long period and you can find activities nearby that are rain-free since the climate changes with elevation. We flew into Liberia and Glenn’s detailed directions were very helpful. Interestingly, while they generally don’t have street addresses there, we were able to enter Nuevo Arenal, just past the Villa, in the Waze app and it matched Glenn’s directions, including a new highway exit in Canas. The app requires a smartphone with data activated, which can be expensive depending on your plan. In summary, it is a great place to stay or use as a base for numerous activities in the area and we would love to return for a longer stay.

Date of stay: September 2016
Travelling group: Extended Family
20 Nov 2016
Dear Jim, Thanks so much for your (detailed) 5 Star Guest Review of Villa Encantada. Detailed reviews such as yours are worth their weight in gold. It was a pleasure hosting your family of 17 persons, and as you know we do have several independent properties that we utilize for larger families. That your entire family enjoyed the water slide, hiking trails and fishing in our pond (and catching lots of fish) is very rewarding to me. We strive to make your stay at Villa Encantada "All it can be.. and More", and sharing our slice of Paradise for 18+ years has been a dream come true. Meeting enthusiastic, fun loving families like yours makes all of our efforts so well worth the hard work that we do. As a side note, the gas station in Nuevo Arenal has reopened after a major upgrading project. Thanks again amigo for your visit and I hope that I'll be seeing you as soon as time allows. Warm Regards, Glenn
Debbie M
Colorado
“Loved every detail”
Reviewed 18 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016

Villa Encantada is a nature lovers paradise. The grounds are immaculately manicured and beautiful (two thumbs up to the gardener - wow!) We enjoyed waking up to the birds and the howler monkey and every night we searched for geckos and frogs. The pool was awesome and we loved the slide - but BRRRRRR it was cold. The house is large, comfortable, gorgeous and well equipped with everything we could possibly need. The house is about 45 minutes from the busy and touristy La Fortuna but still close enough for day trips. I have stayed in La Fortuna and would definitely choose Villa Encantada again over a busy resort. The little town of Arenal is only a few minutes away and there are many great restaurants there. Our 5 days at Villa Encantada were spent driving back and forth from the Villa to La Fortuna every day to do activities (we had two teenagers with us) so we didnt get to enjoy the house like we wanted to. A day of relaxing or walking the trails will be in our future when we return. 5 days is not enough time to enjoy everything that Villa Encantada has to offer but we are so thankful that we chose the gem. Thank you Glenn for sharing this house with us. And thank you for your hospitality and help with our trip.

Date of stay: August 2016
How easy was it to book the property?
Travelling group: Teenagers
20 Nov 2016
Dear Deb,
Thanks for your detailed 5 Star Guest Review. I very much enjoyed hosting your family and am so glad that you enjoyed the amenities that we offer. Plenty to do right on the property... but I do understand that families also like to do various tour excursions and I am at our guests service in arranging those excursions that need a reservation, or simply point you in the right direction for those activities that can be done on a "walk up basis".
I couldn't agree more that the Nuevo Arenal area is so accommodating and near everything ... and with plenty of great restaurants, and that it is so nice to be in an area that isn't so touristy as La Fortuna.
I'm gal;d to hear that on your next visit, you intend to spend most of your time on site at Villa Encantada..
We look forward to seeing your smiling faces again amiga,
Your Host
Glenn
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.