“Great marketing….made me stop to check it out!”

and 1 more site!
Toad Hall Hotel Arenal
Ranked #6 of 14 Nuevo Arenal B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 March 2014

While we were driving to La Fortuna, we started to encounter hand painted signs for some place called Toad Hall. We had no idea what it was but every time you turned a corner, there was another sign with some funny quip about Toad Hall.

We drove past toad hall and the first sign we see is "wait, you missed it, turn around". Well, by now we had to see what this place was all about!

We turned around and stopped for a beer. Toad Hall is a combination gift shop, restaurant and B & B. The restaurant has a beautiful view of Lake Arenal. There are two taking parrots which are hilarious, the beer was cold and the bathrooms were very clean!

We enjoyed the stop so much we made a return visit on our way back and had lunch. The food was very good and again the view amazing!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

So we would've have missed this dining establishment paradise if it weren't for the 55 hand painted, cleverly crafted and sometimes deliberately misspelled English (keeping it real) signs with red lettering on yellow fields. We traveled northwest from La Fortuna on 142 to settle down for the best fish tacos ever to be had. Toad Hall is owned and operated my two conscientious American expatriates or outlaws, I never really asked, who devote significant portions of their net income to help restore health and refuge to injured and abandoned exotic birds. Toucan Sam was tucked up safely away nawing on some mango ad melon. I don't think Kellogg's is getting him back.

Our waitress was sweet and cute with her six month bun. She spoke good broken English and entertained our feeble efforts to speak her native tongue with her. She accepted our American dollars without rolling her eyes. She was great at her job. Give the girl a raise in pay and good insurance for her pending bundle of joy.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Enrique C
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed at toad hall and it was awesome it was very nice , Jeff and Lydia were so nice and such a beautiful view too they also had 2 rare parrots that talk to you and a toucan. One evening everyone was done working and the resteraunt was closed and we asked for suggestions were to eat and Jeff took us to the kitchen and cooked us supper he even letted me help him cook, we had so much fun. BEST TRIP EVER!!!!!!!!! From Ed, Nic and Brooklyn

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Brooklyn H
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My family stayed at Toad Hall in February of 2014. Being a family of 5, we rented the Villa Arriba which fit our family comfortably. The drive from Liberia airport took us about 2 and a half hours. The last hour of the road is long and winding. Thank goodness for all the Toad Hall signs because they let us know we were on the correct road. It also prevented my kids from getting carsick because they focused on finding the next sign instead of worrying about the endless number of curves in the road. The signs were a blessing. The pool was good for a quick dip and the food was delicious. I never liked guacamole before but I do now! It was really good. We cooked a few of our own meals in Villa Arriba. The kitchen was small but was fine as long as we kept the meal very simple. The view at Toad Hall was amazing and the boys enjoyed visiting the rescued birds several times each day. The drive to most of our excursions were about 45 minutes away. We were always happy to return each day to the friendliness and comfort of Toad Hall. Lydia and Jeff were always kind and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. Jeff was especially kind to my boys and offered them simple jobs to do around the place to earn some ice cream and gifts from the gift shop. They loved every minute of their "jobs". What a great place with wonderful owners. We would go back again in a heart beat. Wish I was there now

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This review gets an average rating because the food wasn't very good, But, the view was spectacular. I would recommend a stop for a cold drink and just to relax. Eat somewhere else.

There is also a small shop on the premises.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

The accommodations are clean, spacious and creatively decorated. We stayed in the private jungle suite and would definitely go back again. There's nothing like enjoying a fresh cup of coffee, which is provided, and taking in the sounds and the amazing view of Lake Arenal in our screened in living room. Talk about bringing the outdoors in! There's also a restaurant affiliated with the hotel so ordering from there and having 'room service' , is the best! Definitely one of our highlights of our trip to Costa Rica! There are oodles of signs raving about how great this place is along the way, but none at the forks in the road telling you which direction to go to get there. Less "We're Sooooooo Great!" and more "Go this way =>" signs would make this already fantastic place even better.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014

My girlfriend and I were driving from fortuna back west when I struck the most massive pothole ever about 800m before toad hall. I ended up popping two tires and limping into toad hall. After arriving the owner ran out to help us. He told me to put my feet up and grab a beer, wouldn't even let me change my own tire. He took my mangled tire to town and got it checked out. He spent two hours getting me up and out. Unfortunately the tire was so mangled we got stranded there for approximately 7 hours. After learning it will be another 4 hours to get two spares to our location from the rent a car company, they offered us a room to use to go watch football and just relax and take a load off. We were leaving the next day and a little stressed out. The owner let us use her personal cell phone to contact the car company, kept checking in on us. This is the true spirit of good hearted individuals. They care and couldn't be more helpful. I thank both of them again, and wish them the best in everything they do. Also food was great. The fist tacos and nachos were excellent, and I do love the guacamole. The room we did get to relax in was awesome, and had the most spectacular view. I would love to come back to costa rica and stay here again. Plus I need to fill that stupid pothole!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Nuevo Arenal
Lucky Bug B & B
Lucky Bug B & B
#1 of 14 in Nuevo Arenal

Been to Toad Hall Hotel Arenal? Share your experiences!