“Very disappointing”

Captain Ron's Lake Arenal Fishing Tours
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We were very excited about this trip and fishing was a central reason for choosing a stop at Arenal. We are avid fishermen. We specifically checked with him that the fishing was good, and he was extremely confident and reassuring. BUT once we got out on the water it was a different story. He was much more concerned with getting back on time (even early) than the fact that we caught no fish and I was shocked that we spent so much time doing very unproductive fishing instead of mixing it up. A good guide should know where the fish are, not search around for them.

He also was very light on equipment which meant we had to do a lot of re-tying and lure changing - which is very bad form for a high priced guide.

He was a nice guy and gave good service, everything was good if you don't care about the things that relate to catching fish.

5  Thank ToughButFair23
"boat"
"perspective"
"cigar"

Reviewed 8 March 2014

This trip was great! Weather was rainy off and on but there were some sun breaks too....welcome to the tropics, if it is your first time, here is a little ecology for you....it rains in the rain forest. While the fishing was hot, it was my catching that was poor. I must have missed 20 fish, hahahaha. But hey that is fishing. Where else can you feel like a kid with grandpa again but at the end of a fishing rod? Aside from a lot of refusals on my fly and failure to set the hook on these speed demons, I did land a pig of a Machaca that put up a 15 min fight on the 3wt rod. Educated as a fisheries biologist and being an avid fly fisherman, I know my sport and my resource. I have guided for both Salmon, Steelhead, and Trout and been playing the game for a little bit. Ron is a legitimate guide, fisherman, waterman, person. He explains everything up front and will cancel for poor conditions because he wants to maximize the experience potential. He knows the fish, knows the habitat, reads conditions accurately, and above all was awesome to be around. I find the poor reviews hard to believe from my experiences. Did I mention his custom 18ft center console Boston Whaler has custom casting decks and "bass-boat-style seating"? This was extremely accommodating when I brought my 65 year old mother along for the ride. She had a wonderful time and wants to go back fishing "...only if Ron is guiding," hahahaha. Hand rolled cigars and casting fat Chernobyls to Machacas on light tackle in the tropics with good company...PURA VIDA. I'm going back.

4  Thank Benito B
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This was the worst trip we have had in our three trips to Costa Rica. First we noticed the lake was very choppy water/white caps, and immediately commented on this, Ron said that fishing was good in those conditions.(lol) Ron went on to say that the dam controlled lake has risen 30ft in recent weeks, after we were on the water, and said fishing had been very slow, HE FAILED TO MENTION THIS BEFORE WE WENT OUT. We did not hook a single fish, and only saw a few small boils, that is fine except for the with-held info part. We are from Alaska, have fished many types of fish in many places, and will not recommend this guy for anyone who knows fishing, a true disappointment. He seemed like a pleasant type of guy, but I do question his judgment or character. One thing I hate is dishonesty for money, and this is a first for this for us in Costa Rica. You heard it here!

4  Thank mark o
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My wife and I were on our honeymoon. We wanted to go fishing, but we were spending most of our time away from the coast in the Arenal area. Turns out, you can catch some exotic stuff on this reservoir in the middle of the cloud forest, with Arenal volcano in the background.

This fishing trip would've been worth it for the views and the boat ride alone. We caught enough fish to feed ourselves lunch, and we had a great time. Cap't Ron (yep, that's his real name, just like the movie) was extremely nice and friendly. He even sold me some hand-rolled cigars that I gave to some good friends, which tasted amazing.

I run a tour company in New Orleans, LA myself, and I appreciate good service and a friendly guide. I highly recommend this to any outdoorsmen traveling through Costa Rica.

2  Thank Ashton R
See more reviews
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I booked with Captain Ron several months before our trip . He was very timely in his replies to my emails and tried to call me several times. Through no fault of his the trip got cancelled at 6:00 the morning of. His professionalism showed in talking to us several times the night before. No one can control weather and that's what stopped the trip. He could have taken us and we would have been miserable, fish or no fish...freak low came through...wind and heavy rain.. We would definitely book with him again. As it was we enjoyed exploring Costa Rica on a rainy, windy day.