“lake fishing”

Captain Ron's Lake Arenal Fishing Tours
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Initial communication was fine and we coordinated a meeting place. Pick up was not offered. Conditions were great and captain Ron was terrific and patient. It was my first time fly fishing and I caught my first that same morning.
The lake is sparsely used so it's almost like we had the entire lake to ourselves. The conditions were ideal and the fish were biting all day, even got a couple trolling between spots.
Overall great day on the water and would surely go back

3  Thank paulrhee
There are newer reviews for Captain Ron's Lake Arenal Fishing Tours

Reviewed 18 April 2014

After visiting Lake Arenal for several years Nancy and I decided to finally go fishing there. It was a wonderful day when we went fishing with Captain Ron. Bright and sunny, quite calm. We didn't catch a boat load of fish, but we caught enough to keep us entertained. Ron is a wealth of local knowledge (fishing too). I'd spend $225 just to hang out with him for 5 hours . My wife and I had a ball. On the list for next years visit. See you then Ron (I was exaggerating about the hanging out stuff...I'll expect to go fishing too)

1  Thank charlie88312
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We were very excited about this trip and fishing was a central reason for choosing a stop at Arenal. We are avid fishermen. We specifically checked with him that the fishing was good, and he was extremely confident and reassuring. BUT once we got out on the water it was a different story. He was much more concerned with getting back on time (even early) than the fact that we caught no fish and I was shocked that we spent so much time doing very unproductive fishing instead of mixing it up. A good guide should know where the fish are, not search around for them.

He also was very light on equipment which meant we had to do a lot of re-tying and lure changing - which is very bad form for a high priced guide.

He was a nice guy and gave good service, everything was good if you don't care about the things that relate to catching fish.

5  Thank ToughButFair23
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This trip was great! Weather was rainy off and on but there were some sun breaks too....welcome to the tropics, if it is your first time, here is a little ecology for you....it rains in the rain forest. While the fishing was hot, it was my catching that was poor. I must have missed 20 fish, hahahaha. But hey that is fishing. Where else can you feel like a kid with grandpa again but at the end of a fishing rod? Aside from a lot of refusals on my fly and failure to set the hook on these speed demons, I did land a pig of a Machaca that put up a 15 min fight on the 3wt rod. Educated as a fisheries biologist and being an avid fly fisherman, I know my sport and my resource. I have guided for both Salmon, Steelhead, and Trout and been playing the game for a little bit. Ron is a legitimate guide, fisherman, waterman, person. He explains everything up front and will cancel for poor conditions because he wants to maximize the experience potential. He knows the fish, knows the habitat, reads conditions accurately, and above all was awesome to be around. I find the poor reviews hard to believe from my experiences. Did I mention his custom 18ft center console Boston Whaler has custom casting decks and "bass-boat-style seating"? This was extremely accommodating when I brought my 65 year old mother along for the ride. She had a wonderful time and wants to go back fishing "...only if Ron is guiding," hahahaha. Hand rolled cigars and casting fat Chernobyls to Machacas on light tackle in the tropics with good company...PURA VIDA. I'm going back.

4  Thank Benito B
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This was the worst trip we have had in our three trips to Costa Rica. First we noticed the lake was very choppy water/white caps, and immediately commented on this, Ron said that fishing was good in those conditions.(lol) Ron went on to say that the dam controlled lake has risen 30ft in recent weeks, after we were on the water, and said fishing had been very slow, HE FAILED TO MENTION THIS BEFORE WE WENT OUT. We did not hook a single fish, and only saw a few small boils, that is fine except for the with-held info part. We are from Alaska, have fished many types of fish in many places, and will not recommend this guy for anyone who knows fishing, a true disappointment. He seemed like a pleasant type of guy, but I do question his judgment or character. One thing I hate is dishonesty for money, and this is a first for this for us in Costa Rica. You heard it here!

3  Thank mark o