“Fun in the Rain” 5 of 5 bubbles

Captain Ron's Lake Arenal Fishing Tours
Santa Maria, California
“Fun in the Rain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I had a short window of time to go fishing while on vacation in Costa Rica. Although our catch was small, our experience was excellent. Captain Ron knows the lake and was able to put us on the fish. My fly fishing skills improved under his instruction and I will be ready to to go next time, but I think I will wait for the dry season!

Visited June 2014

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun times fishing and swimming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We called up Ron and setup an outing for our family of 5. Kids ages 5,7,9 and mom and dad. Ron was well organized and gave us clear instructions on what to bring and where to meet up. The weather and fish cooperated and we had a great time out on the lake. Ron adjusted his normal hours and was able to find us a nice sandy beach for swimming. He brought along snacks, drinks, and all the gear we needed. Most importantly, Ron is just a great all around guy; very knowledgeable about fishing and the area, but also just a lot of fun to hang out with. Next time we come to Arenal, we'll be heading out on the lake with him.

Visited June 2014
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“lake fishing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Initial communication was fine and we coordinated a meeting place. Pick up was not offered. Conditions were great and captain Ron was terrific and patient. It was my first time fly fishing and I caught my first that same morning.
The lake is sparsely used so it's almost like we had the entire lake to ourselves. The conditions were ideal and the fish were biting all day, even got a couple trolling between spots.
Overall great day on the water and would surely go back

3 Thank paulrhee
Ruidoso, New Mexico
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Top Shelf”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

After visiting Lake Arenal for several years Nancy and I decided to finally go fishing there. It was a wonderful day when we went fishing with Captain Ron. Bright and sunny, quite calm. We didn't catch a boat load of fish, but we caught enough to keep us entertained. Ron is a wealth of local knowledge (fishing too). I'd spend $225 just to hang out with him for 5 hours . My wife and I had a ball. On the list for next years visit. See you then Ron (I was exaggerating about the hanging out stuff...I'll expect to go fishing too)

1 Thank charlie88312
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

We were very excited about this trip and fishing was a central reason for choosing a stop at Arenal. We are avid fishermen. We specifically checked with him that the fishing was good, and he was extremely confident and reassuring. BUT once we got out on the water it was a different story. He was much more concerned with getting back on time (even early) than the fact that we caught no fish and I was shocked that we spent so much time doing very unproductive fishing instead of mixing it up. A good guide should know where the fish are, not search around for them.

He also was very light on equipment which meant we had to do a lot of re-tying and lure changing - which is very bad form for a high priced guide.

He was a nice guy and gave good service, everything was good if you don't care about the things that relate to catching fish.

5 Thank ToughButFair23