“Authentic Swiss Experience!”
Review of Hotel Los Heroes

Hotel Los Heroes
Ranked #5 of 13 Nuevo Arenal B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I loved my stay at Los Heroes - the food was authentic, the people wonderful and the rooms, restaurant, chapel, dairy farm, pool and view excellent - but my favorite part of all was the tram ride up the mountain to the rotating restaurant with 360 degree views (of the lake and volcano)! I also appreciated being surrounded by quiet and nature - away from the Arenal tourist hub but close enough to easily and quickly get to the zip lines, etc.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank alterego10

Reviewed 3 May 2012

We found out about this little gem about 3 years ago on our first visit to Arenal, and when I saw it, I knew I had to get back to it. It was all that I expected! The place is terribly cute and romantic, the place only had a few other guests which made it even better. It is ideal to visit for a romantic getaway with your couple, it doesn't get more romantic than a Swiss chalet!

The rooms are cozy with a very small tv and a very big bathtub. The rooms are located kinda far from the main road, so you'll never hear a car pass by, it is the best place to relax away from the city.
We ran into a little of "bad luck" because they were fixing the train so we didn't get to ride it or see the rotating restaurant , but I have heard the trip up there is very nice, and so is the restaurant!
The restaurant is lovely, with yodeling music cute decor. I was amazed with the food quality; both my husband and I had a delicious onion soup, and I then had a Weiner Schnitzel that was simply out of this world. The veal was so soft and juicy we are already planning another trip to Los Heroes, only to have that dish again!! I read a review around here that stated the bread was dry and hard, so I had to ask about it. Tuns out, it is home made by the owner, and it is a special swiss bread that is made without eggs or milk which makes it a little harder than what we are used to, but SO good!!

In a nutshell, the place is dreamy, with good food and friendly staff. I only wish we have stayed longer, but we will definitely be back sometime soon!!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony, definitely worth the little extra money!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maggie C
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This is an adorable Swiss style hotel near the banks of Lake Arenal near the famous Arenal Volcano, which you can see from the property. When I drove up I was immediately charmed by the buildings and the vast grounds with its bright flowers and welcoming ambiance. They have their own barn and produce their own milk products, and there's a little church up the hill. I stayed at one of the fully-equipped apartments (incredible view of endless pastures and Arenal Lake) and it was clean and spacious. The restaurant in the main building is like walking into a Swiss mountain chalet with its chipper yodeling music, and red/white table cloths that complement the authentic wooden decor, and they offer all sorts of delicious choices. Breakfast was included and extensive, I ate the typical Costa Rican "Gallo pinto". You can also take the Swiss train they have up the mountain to their bigger rotating restaurant for a breath-taking 360 degree view of Arenal and area.

If you come to Arenal, make sure to visit one of the hot springs in the area. You relax in volcanic thermal pools of water, surrounded by lush jungle and waterfalls. But that's another review :)
All in all, my stay at Los Heroes was short but sweet!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Liv K
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Nice friendly place.Good food .Great people.Loved it.Great place for the family.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank gasienica
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We had been by this charming little chalet-looking place several times, and we always enjoyed the quaint atmosphere and the restaurant. This time we stayed for a couple of days - and it is a really interesting place with a dairy, a miniature train ride, and a rotating restaurant at the top of a hill (with a spectacular 360 degree view of the lake and the Arenal Volcano). The rooms are roomy enough, and the bathrooms are nicely done. The whole thing has the feel of a Swiss chalet in the mountains and guests seem to be multi-lingual in German, Spanish, French, and English. The odd thing is that they do not take credit cards, the pool and hot tub are not grouted, and there doesn't appear to be any real upkeep to the place -- it is almost like it was built and then forgotten. What a pity, because it has an old world charm that is rare in the Arenal area.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2011

The hotel is dated but charming and priced fairly....the views were spectacular. We are sorry we missed the train ride, but had to move on. I am posting a comment because of other comments about the food. Our breakfast at Dos Heroes was perhaps the best of our two week visit to Costa Rica.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2011

After a night at the beautiful and famous Tabacon Hot Springs & Spa, we drove along Lake Arenal and came across Hotel Los Heroes. We only spent one night but could have settled for a whole vacation if we had had more time. The architecture, the landscaping, the scenery are stunning. The quaint little train is a gem. The service is excellent, the food is delicious, the prices are very reasonable. Kudos to the owners Franz and Silena who built this milk farm then the small hotel and the train track and revolving restaurant, to bring an authentic piece of the Swiss culture into one of the most scenic regions of Costa Rica.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
#4 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa
#8 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Hotel Los Heroes? Share your experiences!