“Cool place, relaxing vibe”

Toad Hall Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 22 Restaurants in Nuevo Arenal
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Description: Great Food, Friends, Fun and a Fabulous View. IMPORTANT DETAIL: The hotel and restaurant is under new ownership as of March 2016. We're happy to have a fully remodeled place for you to enjoy! The Heart of the Toad Hall Hotel! If you are looking for a place to sit back and enjoy the Arenal jungle, make sure to take a trip to the Arenal Lake Restaurant & Bar. It's the perfect place to bring the family and friends to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. If you are looking for unique Arenal Lake restaurant, you've found your spot! We offer you a delightful fusion of Costa Rica and Texas cuisine at affordable prices. As soon as you walk through the door you'll feel like home. The experience is one of a kind!
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We drove by tons of advertisements in both directions of the highway before and after toad hall which lead us to eventually deciding to check the place out. The restaurant has a panoramic view of lake arena with a bar, restaurant and gift shop you can check out. We just came to eat (didn't stay at the hotel). The service was good, menu is average but the food is well prepared. The staff is friendly and we also met the owner who was a great host and gave us some tips on attractions to see in the area. Toad Hall is worth a stop even just for lunch, make sure you check out the talking parrot! Charismatic and romantic atmosphere.

1  Thank MilenaMarkovic

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We visited this restaurant/hotel/bar/store, accidentally. We were just driving around the Lake Arenal area and started seeing homemade signs along the road which were quite comical so of course we had to stop. We found a great place, with great staff, service and a small artifacts "museum". We had a drink and snack at the bar overlooking Lake Arenal. The view was great and the food looked wonderful but we were not too hungry so just had nachos, very tasty! After drink and snacks I shopped in the store and got some cool clothing and souvenirs. We really enjoyed our few hours so much at this place I had to write about it.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Great marketing efforts (all done by the employees themselves) led us to stop here. Wasn't expecting much so we were pleasantly surprised. Employees were very nice and told us the story behind the rescue birds they house (parrots and macaws). Be sure to order one of the specials on the board and order the guacamole! Not cheap but we thought it we'll worth the stop.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The new owners have put an unbelievable amount of work into resting Toad Hall and deserve a lot of praise for their effort.

I had lunch there on June 10, 2014 and found it to be just another road side restaurant. The staff was pleasant and service was good. Then again we were the only people in the restaurant at that time.

We ordered two pina colada's which were nice and two of the mixed plate specials which consisted of one fish taco, one chicken skewer, black beans, rica, guacamole and a corn meal item. The food was heavy and lacked flavor. the only thing that was ok was the taco. We both felt sick the rest of the day.

The bill came to 30,000 colonies and I was paying with US dollars. I was surprised when the cashier at the hostess area she the total was $60.00 I questioned her exchange rate and she said that was the price/rate. Everywhere else in CR 30,000 should be around $53.50. I had already left $10.00 as a tip for our server as an extra tips as restaurants add a 10% service charge to your bill already so my total for a quick lunch was $70.00 US.

I appreciate and respect that the owners are doing good things for the community but I am giving them my honest feedback.

Over all I didn't like my visit to Toad Hall, and I agree with other reviewers that the over 100 signs the restaurant has posted in both direction of the road around Lake Arenal are overkill and somewhat disrespecting to the beauty of the area. My fear is every other restaurant will jump on the bandwagon because there is no regulations limiting this practice.

4  Thank 978travler
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We thought while a little tacky the signs leading up to this restaurant and away from the restaurant were cute! If the reviewers that were so upset about the signs read the facts about the signs that are posted at toad hall they would see that while a little tacky they do a lot of good. As far as the food goes the guacamole and chips here were amazing. My daughter had a mango smoothie here and it was like nectar from the heavens. The staff were very friendly, our kids loved Sammie the toucan, and I am the first person to say birds don't belong in cages but there was a permit displayed by the cages from Costa Rican wildlife granting the owners permission to care for these rescued birds. I watched as one of the owners went to the cage to talk to the bird and there was a clear bond between them.

The fish tacos we had were good, and the nacho plate my girls shared was amazing. I would recommend a stop at this little gem if you are driving through the area.