“relaxed atmosphere”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coffee Bay
Sugarloaf Backpackers
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed in the safari tent and it was nice to wake up with views over the beach, this tent also had a double bed with linen. They served breakfast, lunch and dinner which was good quality, but you have to pay for each meal. The bar and pool table area was nice, not too raucous. The only reason I haven't given 5 stars is because the wi-fi wasn't working when I was there, but otherwise it's a really nice hostel with lovely staff, and the area around Coffee Bay is stunning

Room Tip: go for the safari tents, they are reasonably priced and better than the dorm
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I had a teenager with me and we were going to stay over for the evening, with a hike out to the Hole in the Wall the next morning. Our time was marred by sloppy service and numerous little incidents that should not have happened, was it not for poor communication, a good dose of frankness and better management. Some facilities were not up to standard. On the positive side, while it took some explaining to point out what went wrong, we were given a 50% discount on the accommodation and meals subsequent to our departure. Even so, the value you receive is at best average in relation to other good establishments along the Wild Coast. The live music was really good and the evening meal, though basic, was tasty. Think twice about taking guides out to the Hole in the Wall as the route is easy and the guides and shuttle is expensive. You can also drive there yourself. Beware though, early morning you might encounter inebriated locals looking to extort cash. Begging is a problem. Also, if you drive to the Hole in the Wall, there may be guys there willing to provide security for your vehicle, which is not a bad idea.

Room Tip: We stayed in a tent with beds and bedding provided. During summer it gets quite humid, which means i...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Coenraad B
Go2Websites, Owner at Sugarloaf Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear Coenraad B
Thank for making the effort to send us a detailed email, previously received by us. We have certainly taken some advise from your feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to improve where we can. Regards Sugarloaf Team

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Friendly staff and atmosphere here. I had been camping a few nights at Coffee Shack before I extended my Coffee Bay Stay one night to stay at Sugarloaf before my crazy long journey back to New York. There is a much more relaxed vibe at this place and they have very nice common areas to chill out. The food was tasty and a great value meal plan. It was really cool to hang out with the staff and get a taste of the local life in Coffee Bay. The bar plays some excellent music and has cheap drinks. I stayed in a safari tent, which had a bed inside. Basic, but a good value. Very short walk to the beach from here and they offer guided hikes along the coast as well. Thank You Lina, John, Jess, Naida, Carl, and the entire Sugarloaf staff for a great time in Coffee Bay! I should go back...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank peterTnomad
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We would just want to thank the staff for an amazing stay. This was our first back packers experience and exceeded our expectations by a mile. The view was amazing and the atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. Food was really great especially the supper. You have to try the sugar loaf which is local to the area and served during supper. I would recommend any of my friends that are looking for a back packers to have a relaxed experience of the Transkei.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KevinDegenaar
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I took my man for his birthday last august,we loved it,mhh the sound of the waves while u are sleeping,the cleaniless,the privacy,the friendly staff,the only thing that was a bit awkward,its the toilet,it was a bit far from our room especially for night time,otherwise I'm planning another trip with my friends to visit again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Zintle
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Upon arrival after dark we attempted to go to coffee shack. However, the road to the main building of coffee shack was difficult to navigate in the dark so we decided to try sugarloaf. My girlfriend used the front pedestrian gate (with no warning signs or bell) and was subsequently set upon by around 5 ferocious dogs, ripping her trousers in the process, luckily no cutting her leg. The guys running the place showed little concern for either her welfare or her trousers and as such although we were forced to stay that night we checked out promptly the following morning. The room and bathroom felt quite dirty. The hostel was empty of travellers when we were there - in complete contrast to coffee shack. We wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joe-p-01
Reviewed 11 April 2013

My wife and I only planned on passing through Coffee Bay and having lunch because some friends in Durban urged us to see the wild coast. Well, we ended up staying 2 days and a night because it was so amazing!

The family owned and operated Sugarloaf was exactly what we were looking for! They had tent rooms available for the rustic adventurer, but after such a long drive and another set out ahead of us we opted for a room of our own. The room wasn't much, just a bed and a place to hang your stuff, which is all we needed. The hangout area had plenty of books and a beautiful view of the bay. Adjacent to there was the dining room where the staff prepared delicious meals at a great price. You just have to let the staff know you want to eat the meals beforehand and make sure they mark you in the book for the meal. We had one mix up and felt AWFUL that we took another couples meal, but the service came out with their meal after a few minutes (luckily they prepared extra that day, SORRY AGAIN to that couple!)

Happy hour lead to evening drinks in the bar where the other guests and staff enjoyed pool and watching a football match. Everyone was friendly, sharing stories and food over good beers with the breathtaking view of the bay in the background. It was an amazing experience.

I know this review is long, but I want to mention a couple more things. If you are picky about bathroom setups, this place might not be for you. They have stall showers and toilets that get the job done and are great for the backpacker/adventurer. If you are at all curious about the signage asking to sponsor a student, ask the staff! They happily took my wife and I to the Waldorf school they have founded in the community. It's a great mission and you can tell the entire family is passionate about their goal!

All in all, the location, atmosphere, dogs, babies, friends and conversation made this place a landmark on our trip. It's not an easy road to travel getting out there, but when you see the gorgeous bay just over the hill into the ocean, it all becomes worth it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Hole in the Wall Hotel and Holiday Village
Coffee Shack Backpackers
Coffee Shack Backpackers
#1 of 7 in Coffee Bay

Been to Sugarloaf Backpackers? Share your experiences!