“Don't go” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tambarina Guest House & Restaurant

Tambarina Guest House & Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Portuguese
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Benoni, South Africa
“Don't go”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We ordered food, my daughters did not arrive, only to be told it was given to another table, we had to wait 20 minutes for hwers to arrive, in which time we had finished. We ordered Matteus Rose, first bottle came opened at the table perfect, second bottle came, opened, it was not Matteus Rose, but some cheap plonk, they said it was corked, not sure how as it comes in a screw top bottle

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Alison S

Woodstock, Maryland
“Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

The place seems to be very popular with the tourists - but I didn't enjoy the food very much. Had the queen prawns -large quantities, but didn't impress me too much.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Kim M
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Disappointing food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

The reviews were what encouraged us to try the restaurant - either the chef was on leave or they've lost the recipe... Had I not known that I'd ordered the trinchardo I would have thought I was eating chicken a la king.
That said the drinks were well chilled and the staff friendly.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Harriet and Mik... L
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Dissappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

KonradJoburg

my wife and i visited Tambarina last wednesday expecting good things on the back of the other reviews on here.
we ordered chicken livers and the prawn rissois to start and the crab curry and chicken cordon bleu for mains.

the rissois were bland and insipid and the livers were peri periless....

i enjoyed my crab curry .. that was a high point, but my wife was massively dissapointed in the chicken cd b.... what we thought wud be fresh chicken fillets filled with the necessary were frozen processed 'rounds' . these could only have come from a box and we were asked for R90.00.( the menu was generally Joburg prices if not a little more expensive)

my wife could not eat them, and sent them back.

when the bill arrived the item had not been removed let alone reduced. we sent the bill back and advised the waitress we would not pay for the chicken.

at no stage did the owner come and talk to us or address the problem...that was actually more concerning than the frozen food. there was no customer relations shown at all...

if this wasn't one of 2 restaurants in this small town then it would not be as busy at it was....next time we will visit carpe diem across the street.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kon R
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best eating experiences”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

I have travelled all over South Africa from the United States and I must say, this restaurant is a gem. The food is delicious, the ambience is tasteful, the owners are friendly, and the vibe is homey. This is by far one of my favorite restaurants and I would eat here often given the opportunity.

• Visited October 2013