“Excellent hotel in quiet location”

Theoxenia Palace Hotel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Kifisia
Athens, Greece
“Excellent hotel in quiet location”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed there for 2 nights and it is really a great hotel with a very nice swimming pool. This area of Athens is more quiet then downtown and when there is a taxi strike like this summer, you can take the train to the city.
Nice area, very quiet and very pleasureable hotel with few people when we were there. Nice outdoor restaurant and bar

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank NiceguyOslo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 9 July 2011

As per the title, I needed a hotel in Athens for three nights so booked the 'Deluxe Room' at the Theoxenia Palace as from the page on Booking.com - it sounded really nice. I was a little disappointed when I got there as it's certainly not luxury so doesn't live up to the price tag.

I was given room 401 which to be fair was very nice except for the fact the balcony was dirty and no balcony furniture (the balcony is why they call it deluxe) and the balcony door didn't lock. This wouldn't be a problem normally as it's the top floor however it's easy to get from one balcony to another and I had my work laptop with me that contains sensative information so needs to be secure.

I reported this to reception and asked to change rooms to be told "thats a shame as you're in a nice room". They offered me 405 (directly opposite) so I set about moving only to find that 405 was tiny in comparison and it took 5 attempts to lock that balcony door (balcony again had no furniture).

I went back to reception and said I didn't like the room they offered me and he said "I know" so after a conversation where he promised the technician would come fix the broken door first thing. I decided to stay in 401.

Once settled in my room, I needed to do some work so logged onto Wi-Fi only to find it's chargable (€9,95) and you have to order a username and password that is delivered from reception. I think charging paying guests is shocking but decided to take the hit.

The internet worked fine until I finished my work, closed my work laptop and decided to log on using my iPad (as my work laptop is only used for work as per my companies policy).

The internet is restricted to one device.... so no sharing the wi-fi connection with other devices. I would have had to pay another €9,95 - again this made me have second thoughts about the hotel however as I was tired and perhaps not in the best mood. I decided to sleep on it.

I slept well and woke the next morning and decided to go for breakfast. Big mistake - there was a buffet that featured dry omlettes that had been there for a while. Two mini sausages and 2 pieces of bacon (no-one was refreshing the supplies or ensuring they were fresh). I tried the omlette which was inedible and instead had a couple of croissants.

Back in the room, it seemed the promise of a technician to fix the door had just been talk and again, I couldn't really go out due to the security of my laptop. Add that to the dirty empty balcony, the broken door lock, the disgusting breakfast and I knew I had to cut my losses and get out!

I packed and went to reception to check out, the reception guy asked me if I was meant to stay till Monday and when I replied "yes but I have problems with the hotel which you will not resolve", he simply said "OK - that's €167 for one night, €9,95 for the internet... did you have anything from the mini bar?"

So all in all, the guy didn't care I was leaving so I assume this is standard in this hotel. I can't be the first.

So for me, a very disappointing stay. Ironically, I was going to stay at this hotel for a week last summer when my cousin got married. I ended up staying at the Athens Habitat instead and had a wonderful stay (I reviewed it at the time).

Room Tip: Rooms 401 and 402 seem to be the best deluxe rooms... others are really small.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank 1-_-_-D-_-R-_-_-1
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2011

This hotel was included in "Small Luxurious Hotel" definitely by mistake. Old-fashioned dusty not luxurious at all.
Management can do better just removing plastic flowers, improving internet and just treating guests in better way. However, it also needs investments - old furniture, carpets, everything.
But advantage is its location, nice quite area with good restaurants.

I stayed one week and moved to Hilton for the next week with extra €30 and twice better quality.

Room Tip: better room does not differ much from others :)
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank kornilovich
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 22 March 2011

I stayed with my husband at the Theoxenia Palace which is a good hotel, just like that, it is not a luxury hotel as they sell it, you pay a lot and you don't get the quality you expect. The decoration is old fashion, the furniture, the carpets are old, the tvs are old, bad signal, the room too small, the security box didn't work and it is 45 min from downtown. If you go for business it is ok, but if you are tourist it is very faraway. The staff is very kind.

I won't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nidelvia
Paris, France
Reviewed 19 January 2011

I stayed with my husband at the Theoxenia Palace which is a wonderful Small Luxury Hotel of the World located in Athens, Greece. The area is not exactly downtown, which is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

For instance, if you want to be close to the Acropolis and Plaka area, then this hotel is not right for you. But if you prefer to be in a quiet and safe location with lots of shopping and beautiful areas to walk around, then Theoxenia Palace is ideal for you.

We travel a lot with my husband and this was the first time we stayed in this hotel, our
second time in Athens. We were both very much impressed by the location and the attention to detail we encountered in this hotel. It's facilities are really nice, both the wonderful gym and the sauna room. The rooms are very spacious by Greek standards (we have stayed in other Greek hotels and we found that the standard room at Theoxenia is like a suite !) and well maintained. The decor we found rather conservative, although we checked out Theoxenia House which is a brand new hotel of the same chain located right next to the main building. There the suites are wonderful and we will definitely stay there on our next visit.

Theoxenia Palace lived up to our expectations I would highly recommend it to anyone that wishes to stay in Athens, but not downtown.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Spfcat
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 10 January 2011

We booked into this 'Small Luxury Hotel" for a weekend getaway, and were expecting a luxury exclusive hideaway in an exclusive suburb.

The location is good, very close to Kifissia shopping, convenient to major traffic route, close to restaurants etc.

The hotel itself though was disappointing. We have been to 16 SLH hotels, and this one was by far the worst. Rooms were small and decorated cheaply, to a 3* standard (just a few examples: small old television, cheap blue tiles in the bath room, had to hold the shower by hand, we were not even allowed to flush toilet paper down the toilet .. because that would cause problems in the plumbing ?!?). They have good photos on the website ... but reality disappoints.

The service was nice - staff were friendly - but again not great (masseur came 20 minutes late, the "spa treatment area" is one small unheated room (in january!), the gym was closed, and we needed to run back and forth to reception to pick up the key etc.

All in all: this would be a great 3-star hotel (at the right price of course), might even be an acceptable 4* hotel with some goodwill, but don;t expect 5* luxury

We decided to check out early and go to a 'real' luxury hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paul V
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 24 October 2010

Decent hotel, but worn out and does not deserve 5 stars. Location is convenient only if you have work in the area. Otherwise, very far away from the city center.

No free internet and very high fee for usage.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kifisia
Coco-Mat Hotel Nafsika
Plaka
Electra Palace Athens
Electra Palace Athens
#14 of 326 in Athens

Been to Theoxenia Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!