“The best Bed & Breakfast in Oaxaca”
Review of Casa Adobe B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tlalixtac de Cabrera
Casa Adobe B&B
New York City, New York
“The best Bed & Breakfast in Oaxaca”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Looking for slice of paradise or an oasis away from the tourist traps? Stay at Casa Adobe! I’ve had the privilege of staying here three times and it just gets better and better. Casa Adobe is just a short distance from downtown Oaxaca. It's beautifully decorated inside and out; the rooms are spacious, immaculately clean, comfortable, and private. The public spaces are warm and inviting, flush with beautiful tropical plants, flowers, and citrus trees. Many days I just lounged by the courtyard fountain content to soak up the sun. Some days I napped on rooftop veranda listening to the local sounds while watching the clouds move slowly through the valley. I've stayed here during the Day of the Dead Celebrations as well as in the summer during Guelaguetza celebrations. The comfort and hospitality is consistently superb!

Jim and Antonio are friendly proprietors, hosts, and together share a wealth of information about the art, culture, food, and events in Oaxaca and the surrounding area. They simply couldn’t be more hospitable or interesting conversationalists and they go out of their way to ensure that your stay is memorable. I’ve ended up making new and unexpected friends from all over the globe at the breakfast table which speaks volumes about the level of comfort and friendliness at Casa Adobe. It’s a first-class establishment and my home base in Oaxaca. I can't wait for a return trip!

Room Tip: Each room has it's own charm and thankfully it's own bathroom! If you're planning on an...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Stephen N S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
atlanta
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I stayed with Jim and Antonio the week of Christmas, 2012. I had the apartment above the garage. All my friends told me to stay in the center of the city, but I'm glad I did not. I had a roomy and light-filled apartment. I didn't want to get sick, so I cooked my own meals. Tony brought me to the grocery store straight from the airport. It's VERY easy to get a collectivo to the city. It took a bit of figuring out where the best place was to catch the shared taxi on the way back, but even if you take a taxi to the junction, it's just a 10 min. walk to the B&B. Jim has so many stories to tell. It's nice that it's a small place with just a few guests. The rooftop deck is just delightful. I hope to go back soon.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My wife and I stayed with Jim and Antonio during the Day of the Dead celebrations. They were wonderful, they put out nice breakfasts, were very friendly hosts and a had nice location just outside the city of Oaxaca. Traveling to and from the city was no problem once Jim and Antonio showed us the ropes. These two are some of the kindest B&B owners we have had the pleasure of staying with. They could not be more accomodating. We would heartily recommend them if you are traveling in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sademenace
MD
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed at Casa adobe for our honeymoon and had an amazing time! Jim and Tony were accommodating and gracious and made us feel very welcome. They booked cars for us as needed (we took a few day trips) and were helpful in suggesting places to visit and restaurants that we might want to try. As far as the B&B: it is very clean, serene and I loved that it had free wifi. There was a young girl that stayed there as well and I remember that she went to stay in town to be closer to the “action’ and then came back to the B&B a day later since the city of Oaxaca is so loud! I think the B&B is in the perfect location. Just far enough outside of Oaxaca to be quiet but close enough that you can take the bus or a car and be in the thick of things within minutes.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Casa Adobe was the best place we stayed during our 3 months of travelling around Mexico and Cuba. Ditto everything the other reviews say. Great hosts with lots of knowledge and very good humour, beautiful apartments, great beds, lovely gardens and patios. We stayed longer than planned and enjoyed the beauty and wonder of Oaxaca from this home base. We would return in a second.

Room Tip: Both apartments and all rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer201
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 23 December 2010

This was our second trip to Casa Adobe B&B. On the first trip we stayed in the apartment, which had everything we needed, for more than a month. This time, we were in Oaxaca for less than two weeks so we stayed in one of the bedrooms. My wife and I can't say enough about the friendliness of our hosts, Jim and Antonio, and the Casa itself. It is located in a very quiet area of the pueblo of Tlaxitac, about 30 minutes from the airport and 20 minutes from the center of Oaxaca.

The upper veranda has very nice views of the surrounding mountains (the picture on their web site sold me) with comfortable lounge chairs. I spent a lot of time there reading and dozing. The garden/patio area is comfortable and is full of colorful flowers; the interior and courtyard are decorated with lovely Mexican art. The bedrooms and the living rooms are beautifully furnished, cozy and spotlessly clean. Breakfasts in the courtyard are great with toast and homemade granola with yogurt, a variety of fresh juices, coffee, and occasionally a special Mexican dish.

We used Casa Adobe as our base to explore the city of Oaxaca and the surrounding pueblos that specialize in rug making, pottery, and textiles. It is easy to get almost anywhere from their location in Tlalixtac, and Jim and Antonio are great at giving advice on where to go, what to see and the best way to get there. Transportation to most attractions by bus, collectivo, and taxi are all accessible from the pueblo, and we felt very safe walking around the central parts of both the city of Oaxaca and Tlalixtac, even at night. Although lodgings in the city of Oaxaca may have the advantage of convenience to most attractions, the peace and quiet of the pueblo is well worth the tradeoff of immediate access.

We will be going back to Casa Adobe in the near future. Antonio and Jim have almost finished building their second apartment, which is above the garage and has a small veranda for enjoying the morning sun. We can't wait to stay in the new apartment!
We have stayed in lots of Bed and Breakfasts during our travels. In our opinion, Casa Adobe is one of the best.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 1 March 2010

A stay at Casa Adobe makes you feel like you are staying with old friends. From the minute you are met at the airport though the graciously offered local knowledge re the where/what/who of negotiating Oaxaca City and the surrounding villages, vendors and restaurants, we found their recommendations to be invaluable. Internet room reservations are easily confirmed along with any pre-trip planning questions you may have. Perfecto Antonio and Jim!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Hotel Villa Oaxaca
#14 of 113 in Oaxaca
El Diablo y la Sandia Libres
Casa de Las Bugambilias B&B

Been to Casa Adobe B&B? Share your experiences!