Trade Winds Hotel
Cara Suites(Claxton Bay)
US$174
US$154
Hotels.com
Grand Diamond Trinidad(Piarco)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$110
US$82
US$176
US$158
Hyatt Regency Trinidad(Port of Spain)
US$237
US$198
All reviewsmini martresidential arearoom was spaciousthe hotel staffpool sidebusiness tripoil gasvisiting trinidaddriftwood restaurantgympoolsidemicrowaveprivacy
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I was quite impressed with location of this Hotel. Hotel staff and room was perfect! I will highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an enjoyable stay while visiting this wonderful island in the sun.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stephanie W
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This looks like a lovely place and I must say the room was pleasant and the bed very comfortable. However, the breakfast and dinner were not great. I have stayed in cheaper, vastly superior places.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Doctorfi58
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I had some business in south Trinidad so I decided to overnight at the Tradewinds Hotel. My first impression was not so very good to say the least cause I read on their website that evening check-ins would have received a snack plate. We checked in at around 6:15pm and we got no snack plate, although while i was checking in I noticed some neatly wrapped snack plates behind on a counter.

I purposely did not shine my shoes before I got there as I also read that one of their amenities was a free shoe shine service....again, when I wanted to access this facility I was told by the lady at the front desk that the ad referred to a machine and the machine is currently out of service.

I had to book an executive room as my family was with me and there were no standard rooms available. Thank God we didn't get a standard room because the executive room was seriously dated and the furniture was very old. The actual room itself was very clean and spacious and the bedding and bath towels were very clean. The aircondition unit in the room we stayed was so very noisy that is actually sounded like a lawn mower in the room. I reported the noisy A/C to the front desk and I was told that I would have to lower the A/C because the noise was a result of the A/C "icing up". The room was then obviously very warm now. To be quite honest I thought that $1200.00 TT per night would have entitled me the opportunity to be relocated to another room, especially since little children were involved. They simply refused to relocate us.

We decided to have dinner there given that the restaurant seemed very nice. The ambiance was nice, although for a hotel that size the restaurant seemed inadequate and cramped. I could well imagine on a very busy period how cramped it would be. The food was very basic and lacked that southern charm that I was hoping for. Restaurants in south Trinidad are known for its tasty cuisine and this place was seriously lacking.

After a horrid night of the lawn mower in my ear, I was the first to be up as I had an early morning meeting. I therefore went down tot he restaurant for the free "continental" breakfast that was included in my rate. First off, the gentleman who was the bartender/server/manager there that morning was not very polite and seemed to dismiss my question about the content of a sausage that was being served for breakfast. After a few minutes of self realisation, he then decided to tell me that the sausage was a mixture of beef and pork. At one time it felt as though I was in some kind of training camp as all he kept telling everyone was to sign in your room number and sign the register. My advice to guests there would be to skip that extremely lame breakfast and seek out the nearest coffee shop or doubles vendor. There is absolutely no variety in that breakfast and no choice of items....it was either toast with eggs or cheese or cereal!! That was the "continental breakfast" lol.

I suppose if I had paid for a standard room maybe the service and amenities might have been on par with the level of service and I might not have felt it so badly, but to crown it all off, when we were checking out that day, the laundry staff tried to pin laundry services on me where we clearly didn't do any laundry!! My advice to prospective guests would be to ensure that you get your full refund of your initial deposit and carefully check your receipt. They would seriously stick you for something you didn't use!!!

Overall, the view of the southern city and the overall cleanliness of the hotel was what stood out for me. This hotel is seriously overpriced for amenities and services that are simply not there. If you are looking for a nice budget hotel, this is definitely not the place.

Room Tip: avoid room #25!! the A/C is a Lawn Mower!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank Mohammed_K_Rahman
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The executive room looked nice as you arrive, but the bathroom had hair in it the exhaust over the toilets were dirty (blowing dirty air on you). The sheets had hair...the floor was dusty.....the food was not all that.... the gym was nice though.

average stay....thats all i can say....

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Candylee F
Reviewed 28 July 2011

It's amazing how a lack of good options in the region allows the Tradewinds to command high prices. I stayed in two different rooms over 2 weeks (one an exec room) and to sum it up: basic and dated in a Carribean style. From what I was told by coworkers, it's the best place you'll find in San Fernando though. If you stay at the Hilton in POS (for $40/night less) and then stay here, it'll take some time to adjust!

Pros: Laundry service is prompt. There's a gym attached to the building, accessed by a separate entrance. Live entertainment at dinner on select nights.

Cons: Restaurant breakfast is weak ... scrambed eggs, hot dog wieners, hashbrowns, canned beans (all a bit sketch because it's only slightly warm). Dinner is overpriced and they overcooked most of the seafood on multiple occasions (lobster especially disappointing).

Specific irritable personal experiences:
- One room had an AC unit whose auto-function didn't work so the choice was on (icebox) or off (sauna), the other room's AC made a terrible grinding noise all the time with floors that seeped a brown liquid every so often.
- When I checked out, the front desk employee refused to hold my luggage for the day in a back room while I went to work for the day before leaving for the airport in the evening. This was at the very same time I was handing over USD$2300 for my stay. I was genuinely surprised at this, but I guess customer service gaffes like this really do happen.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business