“Vacation of a lifetime!”

Vallarta Gardens, A Boutique Private Residence Club
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Vacation of a lifetime!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I booked this trip using a ridiculous discount through eversave.com. It was a surprise for my boyfriend's 30th birthday and I wasn't sure what I'd be getting for such a reasonable price. WOW did I end up scoring big on this one! We arrived in this little piece of paradise on a Wednesday night and were picked up from the airport and escorted to our own, HUGE villa. Everything was brand new and modern. We had two floors, including a giant kitchen and living room to ourselves as well as a huge rooftop patio complete with hot tub and couches to relax and enjoy the sunset.
The grounds were beautifully landscaped, from the lush lawns and gardens to the huge infinity pools and beachfront.
We had daily cocktails and chips w/ guacamole and pico de galo down by the pool. When we mentioned that we'd love to sit down on the beach, our attendant promptly set up a bed down in the sand with pillows and fresh towels. The view of the mountains across the water was breathtaking!
Little did I know, my boyfriend and the staff, led by David (my hero) were scheming as I enjoyed my much-needed vacation. Our second night there, my boyfriend had me dress up a bit and walk down to the restaurant area for dinner. We were escorted to a private table set up especially for us on the deck, right above the waves. White tablecloth, rose petals, you name it. David had worked with my bf beforehand to arrange for a perfect proposal! We had three amazing courses, customized by my now fiance, followed by dessert and a surprise! Unbeknownst to me, there was also a photographer hiding in the bushes, snapping photos of the whole thing!
As if this wasn't enough, we headed back to our "room" to find that the path from the doorway, up a flight of stairs, winding down the hall to the bedroom was strewn with rose petals and candles with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting.
Well...I have to say...I expected to arrive at a mediocre hotel and be forced into timeshare discussions. This was quite the opposite! I hightly recommend making a trip here if you're able. Beautiful resort, plenty of opportunity for excursions...DO IT!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gillian P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Portland, OR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We had a very interesting experience at Vallarta Gardens. Upon arriving to the complex, we discovered that the resort is most definitely not in Puerto Vallarta, but is actually out in the middle of nowhere. The surrounding area did not seem like the safest place to be and there were no restaurants within walking distance. So, if you think that you will be going to the heart of Puerto Vallarta, you will not. It is a 15-20 minutes cab ride into the city.
The resort itself is absolutely gorgeous. The grounds are immaculate and the pools are beautiful. The villas are beautiful at first glance, but upon further inspection could use a serious amount of maintenance and improvements. Our dishwasher did not work (which seems to be a common complaint) and we actually ended up finding a dead mouse in it on the second day, which explained the yucky smell in the kitchen. They came to "fix" it, but it was never actually fixed and ended up leaking all over the floor. We, too, ended up having to hand wash dishes everyday. Many of the outlets did not work, none of our outside lighting worked and there are not enough plates/utensils for the amount of people that the villas hold.
Perhaps the biggest thing that I think you should be aware of when traveling to this resort is the lack of access to food. There is only one restaurant on the property, and although the food is good, there is a limited selection and it is not open for breakfast (there is NOTHING to eat or get to eat for breakfast if you do not have your own food). You will quickly get sick of eating quesadillas and tacos for lunch and dinner every day. You pretty much have to plan on making a trip into the city to do some major grocery shopping for your trip and you will likely end up cooking a large portion of your meals. If this does not sound appealing to you, this is not the place to go.
Like I said, the grounds are gorgeous and we ended up here because we purchased a deal through Eversave (which advertised that it was in Puerto Vallarta) and the price could not be beat. However, if I had paid full price for this vacation I would have been really disappointed due to the lack of food choices, the sketchy location and the list of maintenance issues that kept arising.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Lyndsee W
misskaye
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

My experience with the sale group was awful, high pressure sales technique was just too much to bear, I walked away with the idea of trying a different area. This was my fourth time in Puerto Vallarta and wanted to purchase something away from downtown, will not recommend this place for any reason.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
14 Thank misskaye
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Myself, my partner, some family and friends (9 of us) stayed in Villa Jazmin (55) for 6 nights and were thrilled by our location and the accommodations. Upon our arrival we all were in awe by the well appointed villa. It is modern, immaculate, roomy, luxurious, and the views from all of the rooms are spectacular. My bedroom was complete with a huge en-suite bathroom with a separate dressing room and huge closet. All the other bedrooms have en-suite bathrooms of various degrees - the master suite upstairs has an amazing view and easily accommodated a family of three. All bedrooms have outdoor access - patios or balconies. The beds were super comfortable.

This villa has both a great indoor and outdoor dining area. Our villa's pool is very private and was a huge hit with the kids. There are also at least four other pools on the main property. The adults preferred the private beach which was at the bottom of our stairway. We were amazed at how clean and well kept the grounds were. The beach water was a little murky the first day or two but then became crystal clear. The lounge chairs and patio furniture are also top notch. There were plenty of towels and staff to help with whatever you might need. We were lucky to have perfect weather for our stay.

Vallarta Gardens is very safe and has 24 hour security. Whenever we left the grounds we felt equally safe and La Cruz Huanacaxtle is a really cool town and the quickest way to the center is a short walk up the beach. We went to the Sunday market and there is a daily fresh fish market too. We bought fresh ahi off the boat and made ceviche one night and it was amazing. The large prawns were awesome too. We highly recommend getting fresh ingredients and buying local.

The kitchen is classified as "gourmet" and it is, as it has all the full size modern amenities however, it did lack some common utensils, i.e. vegetable peeler, large pot, lime squeezer, etc. Also the dishwasher didn't work, so we did wash the dishes by hand all week. Side note: it did technically "work" but the quality of the washer didn't actually clean the dishes.

All the rooms in the villa are air conditioned which is great in high summer however, in February with a cool breeze at nights, we wished we could have had screen doors on our sliders and windows because we would have left them open for the fresh air. Since we needed to keep the (few) insects out we kept the windows closed and used a/c while sleeping.

It's easy to get around the area because the local bus stops in front of the property so whether you want to go to Punta Mita or PV or Bucerias it's cheap and easy. You can also ask the concierge to get a taxi for you which we found expensive for local trips.

Bucerias and La Cruz have many restaurants, we enjoyed Mark's Bar & Grill, Mezzogiorno, and Eva's Brickhouse. A few others of recommendation are El Brujo and Xocolatl.

All in all our vacation was fabulous. The staff at Vallarta Gardens are so friendly and helpful without ever being intrusive. Please be gracious to them. I am especially grateful to Miriam and her staff. They are so kind and accommodating. I HIGHLY recommend Vallarta Gardens - it is paradise.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jjwood94114
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

My finace and I were looking for the perfect place for us and our 20 wedding guests to stay for 5 nights from 11/8-11/13. Our families didn't really know each other very well so it was important to me that we find a place that created an atmosphere that would put everyone at ease and keep us all together. Some of the larger resorts in the area are so big that you could go all day and not bump into each other. Also many guests were hesitant to travel to Mexico because of the negative press we hear in the US. Not at one point did anyone feel unsafe. And I think we helped to change many peoples perspectives of Mexico, yay!!

Our first night we had a welcome dinner poolside at Villa Palma Azul. They had open bar and appetizers that were so filling and fresh and tasty! They also decorated the exterior of the villa for an added Mexican flare! I worked with Miriam from early February on all the details and she was amazing to work with. She helped to book airport transportation, a bus that took us and our guests out on a night on the town, and also helped booked my hair dresser for the wedding. The thing I liked most about the location is how private it is. When you stay in the hotel zone in PV the minute you step on the beach you are bombarded by people selling stuff, but not here. It felt like it was just our group and the staff. They were very attentive and always so friendly. The cleaning ladies do a great job everyday of keeping the villas very clean. I could see myself coming back here when we have kids someday.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Leeann374
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

We stayed in Casa 35 and had a wonderful experience. The kitchen was excellently stocked with everything we could possibly need. The house was beautifully furnished with a fabulous patio within steps of the pool. The kids had an amazing time and it was easy to keep an eye on them while making our blended margaritas. The beds all had memory foam which was a great touch and they were very comfortable. The rooftop patio with hot tub was one of our favorite places to be each day and to watch the sunsets from there whilke sipping a glass of wine was remarkable.
Our families had a wonderful time and would definately book casa 35 again!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

We booked a villa through the resort and while the house was beautiful, the service was lacking. There were 4+ bedrooms, probably could have housed 10 or more people, but there may have been enough serveware for 6 at most to eat at a time. Not to mention our dishwasher didn't work and wasn't fixed until our final days of our stay. Oh, and starting every morning boiling water in our pot and ladling spoonfuls of it I to our mugs to make drip coffee is an awful way to start the day. Tea kettles, ever heard of them, or coffee grinders? Seriously, the last thing I need to do is buy an entire household's worth of items so that we can stay a week. No detergents, sponges, beach toys,etc. Too much lacking and aggravating even to mention.

• Stayed February 2011
12 Thank jcinpdx75
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Reso...
#1 of 2 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
B Nayar
B Nayar
#1 of 4 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
Villa Bella Bed and Breakfast Inn
Villa Bella Bed and Breakfast In...
#4 of 6 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle

Been to Vallarta Gardens, A Boutique Private Residence Club? Share your experiences!