“Very homey”

Greenwood Lodge & Motel
Reviewed 15 August 2013

As a previous reviewer said, the decor is dated, but our room was very clean, quiet, and comfortable. The shower had good water pressure, the beds and pillows were very comfy, with super clean linens, and most of all , the staff was outstanding. We flew to St. John's from Louisville, Kentucky and stayed at the Greenwood one week as we got out daughter settled at Memorial University. Our flight didn't get in until late, but the manager waited up for us (til nearly 1 am!) and was as cheerful as one can be in the wee hours.I had requested a room with a mini-fridge and microwave, and they were provided. We also had a nice TV, Wifi, and a window air conditioner, which we only needed part of the time (otherwise, we just opened the window for cool breezes. We were on the side of the building, overlooking trees, and it was very quiet.) The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. I had heard how wonderful Newfoundlanders were, and the staff certainly confirmed that. Also, there is a fabulous nature path just behind the motel. You just walk across the back lawn and you will find it. There are no signs, but the staff can direct you. The path was beautiful, with no one else on it. It followed a rushing stream with waterfalls. With all of the stress of establishing our daughter as an international student, we could spend a quiet half-hour on this path and just relax, or we could chat with the staff and be reminded of what a glorious place St. John's is. I recommend the Greenwood highly. It truly was our "home away from home".

Room Tip: We had room 19, with two double beds. The location, on the side of the building, was very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank cnichter
There are newer reviews for Greenwood Lodge & Motel

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We booked the 2-room cabin, so we could have a room and our kids could have a room, and we could stay up after "bedtime" without keeping them awake.

The blinds in all rooms except for the one the kids were in were broken; they didn't close correctly. The plumbing in the bathroom... I can't even tell you how old it was, but I *can* tell you that it leaked ALL NIGHT LONG. The wifi didn't reach the cabin. My brand new laptop connected, breifly, in the "sweet spot" in the second bedroom.

The rooms themselves and the linen were clean enough; but it would be good if someone took a little extra and cleaned the SPIDERS out of the light fixtures.

It would be great if the cabin also included little amenities; like an extra towel rack in the bathroom; sugar packets and milk/cream packets in the fridge.

We could hear the waterfall, but there was no signage, and the only path I could find looked like it was actually used to dump compost (they didn't even have recycle/compost options in the room. ONLY garbage.), and it looked REALLY overgrown, so we didn't go down it.

The "Lounge" was full of ... unsavory... individuals. It was seedy, to say the least.

We stayed three nights and basically used this as a place to lay our heads only.

Room Tip: DON'T stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My husband and I came to St. Johns for the STING concert . We discovered a beautiful trail and Water Fall just in the back yard of this establishment . It made our night. The staff were great and prices were competitive.

Room Tip: at the rear you will Hear the Falls
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2013

The Greenwood has gone thru many upgrades the past year, New Bed linens and Matresses as well as upgrades to the faciltiy. My experiences with the staff have always been pleasant and helpfuil. There are several amenites closeby, Thetres, Supermarkets, bars & Restaurants Etc.. And one highlights a beautiful board walk out behind the facilty that goes along the Waterford River.

Some reviews are somewhat misleading and outdated since recent changes have been made, overall, the best deal in town at under $100 a night.

Room Tip: Did you know they have a detached Cabin that can be rented @ $99 a night!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I stayed there with my husband last month. Better than I expected. As with any place there were mixed reviews online but I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. We were greeted by a nice young man on the desk, who was very helpful and answered all of our questions. The room was a great price, very clean and taken care of.
We stayed there for 2 nights on the weekend and didn't have any trouble. Would certainly recommand this place to anyone looking for a nice room at a great rate!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We stayed one night. The bed sagged in the middle, the bed spread was old and worn out, paper thin walls. Had to listen to the people in the next room argue most of the night. Then they would go outside on the porch and smoke. We had to close the window or die from the stench of their cigarettes. People from the bar as well smoked cigarettes and pot outside our room. 79.00 bucks is a deal, but I would recomend people book elseware. We had driven most of the day and if I was not so tired, I would have raised a little more hell about it. It is old and needs a good overhaul.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I booked two nights at this motel because it was the only place I could find in the St. John's area over Labour Day weekend for less than $100. It was only $79 per night and the reviews here were mixed, so I went there expecting the worst. I was driving in from out of town, so I even brought my own sheets and blanket in case the ones there were smelly or scratchy. However, when I arrived I was pleasantly surprised! The staff was friendly and welcoming and although the building is old and the decor is slightly dated, it was actually really cozy. Flat screen TV, good water pressure in the shower, comfy bed, and the sheets were soft and clean. The location was also great - only 15 minutes from downtown, and there was a nice movie theatre right across the street. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to visit on a budget.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Bears Cove Inn
#1 of 1 in Witless Bay
Comerfords Suites
#2 of 2 in Holyrood

Been to Greenwood Lodge & Motel? Share your experiences!