See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I booked this motel over the internet, because I was sick of paying high high prices for motels and B&Bs and cabins. Well, you get what you pay for.

Cons:
- entrance smells of smoke and beer, somewhat
- a bit rickety, needs more upgrades
- smoke detector disconnected in my room
- TV iffy, was told to "remove black box and put it back" to make it work "better"
- Wifi spotty, did not work in all places
- no chain on door lock
- hallway carpet needs removing (cleaning it would do no good, at this point)
- microwave was ancient
- furniture was huge, old cumbersome and took up too much room, made room very cramped
- the "electrics" made me nervous, too many cords plugged into a power bar
- no plug near table to plug in laptop
- pop machine out of order
- their email didn't work, they had a virus.
- cobwebs in upper corners of rooms
- no coffee maker in room (I need coffee in the morning)
- rain dripped so loud on the outside of the air conditioner that I was kept awake all night
- carpet in room looked pretty old

Pros:
- Linens (towels, sheets, pillows) are SCRUPULOUSLY clean. Marvellous
- Water pressure in shower was excellent, as was hot water lovely and hot
- Bathroom very clean and toiletries were provided
- Bed was comfortable
- Staff were kind and reasonable
- There's a rather cheesy lounge downstairs with cheap drinks and gambling
- Nice surroundings, go out the back lawn, and you can find a bridge that leads to a fabulous walking trail, waterfall, and more
- Close to fast food restaurants
- Close to movie theatre
- 10 min drive to Downtown St John's
- Cheap! I mean, half of what I paid elsewhere in St. John's and other places
- Wifi worked

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan S
Reviewed 4 September 2013

There's a scene in trainspotting where they show "The dirtiest toilet in Scotland". This hotel isn't much better. It's easily the worst place I've ever stayed. Everything is not only old and tired, it's just doesn't 'feel' clean. My partner stayed in the 'smoking' section of the hotel, I was in the non. Unfortunately his room was located between two hookers and their pimps. Yelling, screaming and fighting all night. He was afraid to go out in the corridor. We just couldn't leave fast enough.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Although the decor is a bit dated, the rooms are not spotless, and a number of features in the room or bath do not work-- the Greenwood is not a bad value COMPARED TO other hotels/motels in STJ. By that, I mean the traveller gets pretty much what he/she pays for. II must also say that is very handy driving to downtown and/or the STJ airport.

Room Tip: Better to choose the room from what's available after your arrival!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2013

As a previous reviewer said, the decor is dated, but our room was very clean, quiet, and comfortable. The shower had good water pressure, the beds and pillows were very comfy, with super clean linens, and most of all , the staff was outstanding. We flew to St. John's from Louisville, Kentucky and stayed at the Greenwood one week as we got out daughter settled at Memorial University. Our flight didn't get in until late, but the manager waited up for us (til nearly 1 am!) and was as cheerful as one can be in the wee hours.I had requested a room with a mini-fridge and microwave, and they were provided. We also had a nice TV, Wifi, and a window air conditioner, which we only needed part of the time (otherwise, we just opened the window for cool breezes. We were on the side of the building, overlooking trees, and it was very quiet.) The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. I had heard how wonderful Newfoundlanders were, and the staff certainly confirmed that. Also, there is a fabulous nature path just behind the motel. You just walk across the back lawn and you will find it. There are no signs, but the staff can direct you. The path was beautiful, with no one else on it. It followed a rushing stream with waterfalls. With all of the stress of establishing our daughter as an international student, we could spend a quiet half-hour on this path and just relax, or we could chat with the staff and be reminded of what a glorious place St. John's is. I recommend the Greenwood highly. It truly was our "home away from home".

Room Tip: We had room 19, with two double beds. The location, on the side of the building, was very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank cnichter
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We booked the 2-room cabin, so we could have a room and our kids could have a room, and we could stay up after "bedtime" without keeping them awake.

The blinds in all rooms except for the one the kids were in were broken; they didn't close correctly. The plumbing in the bathroom... I can't even tell you how old it was, but I *can* tell you that it leaked ALL NIGHT LONG. The wifi didn't reach the cabin. My brand new laptop connected, breifly, in the "sweet spot" in the second bedroom.

The rooms themselves and the linen were clean enough; but it would be good if someone took a little extra and cleaned the SPIDERS out of the light fixtures.

It would be great if the cabin also included little amenities; like an extra towel rack in the bathroom; sugar packets and milk/cream packets in the fridge.

We could hear the waterfall, but there was no signage, and the only path I could find looked like it was actually used to dump compost (they didn't even have recycle/compost options in the room. ONLY garbage.), and it looked REALLY overgrown, so we didn't go down it.

The "Lounge" was full of ... unsavory... individuals. It was seedy, to say the least.

We stayed three nights and basically used this as a place to lay our heads only.

Room Tip: DON'T stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family