“Excellent food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Victoria Inn
Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Borth
Price range: US$4 - US$31
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, View, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Victoria Inn is open from 11am daily and closes from 12 midnight onwards. We serve meals from 12 noon til 14:30 and from 18:00 to 21:00 daily.
Kent UK
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We were fortunate enough to have a table upstairs on the balcony, with its great views. The beer and wine selection was just about right, but, the wait for the food is ridiculous. It's not the waitresses fault, they have a hard enough job as it is, it's down to management. Surely during a busy Summer, with decent weather, extra staff could be employed?
Having said that, our fish and chips were really good and massive portions.

1 Thank TeebeeKentUK

Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Fabulous :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Reading some of the reviews on here I can only assume that these visitors have reviewed a completely different establishment....after being recommended to visit, I booked a table for myself and 8 members of my family to celebrate a special birthday here on a busy Friday night in high season - the table was booked for 7pm. By 7.15 we had all been served our food which was cooked to perfection and probably the most impressive Pulled Pork Burger that I have ever been served. Every single member of my party was as impressed with the food as I was. The service was fantastic - the staff are ALL very profession and work very hard, and the atmosphere was second to none. I will definitely, without a doubt, visit the Victoria Inn again and will not hesitate to recommend to everyone I know- fantastic food, tentative, professional staff at unbelievable value in probably one of the most beautiful settings you'll find :)

1 Thank linnie04
“Fab pub!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were staying at the Park resorts site and walked down here most nights to eat after we discovered this gem of a place on our second night! We sat outside and ate from the BBQ hut,fab value and superb food and spectacular sunsets. The flat bread I had one night was awesome, almost like a man vs food episode! It's was really tasty but I had to admit defeat and my son finished it!
I'd recommend this bar for friendly staff lovely food and good value for money! It can get busy at times but worth the wait sit in the sun and drink on the views as well as your drink!

Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom
“Excellent service as always!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Vic is an amazingly busy and popular place to drink and eat so I can understand the frustration of people waiting for food. However, staff warn customers there will be a wait so it is up to the individual if they choose to stay or not. Every time I go for food, the wait has not been any where near as long as people have reviewed...maybe turning up at 6pm when food starts might be a good idea? Not when the place is rammed full? Also, there is a hut serving food outside, so always a good alternative. The staff and management are wonderful and I will continue to eat and drink and be merry in what I consider as the best pub around!!

1 Thank Nicky C
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Perfect for drinks, awful for food. Eat before you come unless you're prepared to wait a silly amount of time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

It was my Taid's (Welsh for Grandfather) 84 birthday yesterday (11th Jul 2014) and we decided it would be lovely to take him out for dinner. Myself and my parents have been coming to the Victoria Inn for drinks every Saturday evening for the past few weeks now because the atmosphere is so lovely and the views are stunning. My Nain (Nan in Welsh) is rather fussy when it comes to food so I rang yesterday morning and spoke to Judith, the manageress/owner of the Victoria Inn. She was unbelievably helpful and explained to me that a booking of 10 had pre-ordered their food and had a table booked for 7.30. This was perfectly acceptable by us because our train wasn't arriving into Borth until quarter past seven and we wanted a drink prior to arrival anyway. Judith didn't have the table reservation book with her at the time so I left my name and phone number with her to call me back.

Just gone 11am Judith rang me back and confirmed a table was available for us at 7.45 and that we wouldn't have a wait for food because the table of 10, as previously mentioned had pre-booked.

We arrived at The Victoria Inn last night by about 7.15 and we made our way into the bar area to sit down as my Taid has limited vision and the bar area was quite busy. My mum recognising this told my dad to look at the Special's board and grab some menus so we could get our order in as soon as possible to avoid any wait. After about five minutes we'd all ordered and had been given a bottle with a spoon and a table number in it (Number 7). It was about 7.45 by this point and nobody had called us to our table to seat us before the meal, my dad when he went to grab menus had already seen that the table for the six of us was reserved but my mum said there was no point rushing to the table only to sit there right at the table if it was quiet, we'd already made ourselves known to the bar staff that we'd booked a table and that we'd arrived so that the kitchen could be informed. By about 8pm a young man with a beige hat came to us and told us our table was ready so we quickly rushed upstairs thinking the food was on its way.

Seated at the table, with another three more rounds of drinks later, at 8.30 there was no sign of our dinner. Prior to us coming upstairs my dad had asked whilst ordering our dinner how long the wait would be and one of the bar staff had said approx an hour but that our order was being budged towards the front because we'd booked a table.

My dad is type 1 diabetes and both my grandparents are in their 80s and usually eat by about 5.30pm, we were VERY hungry and very unhappy. The table next to ours upstairs which were reserved were unbelievably noisy, my Taid was wincing and had to switch his hearing aids off because the noise was affecting them. All we could seem to think was that they too had to wait a very long time for their food and as a result had got a fair share of drink rounds in too by the noise and unbelievable volume level of laughter which meant us feeling like we had to compete just to participate in general conversation as a family, we kept turning around and looking at the table as though to say that their high level of chatter was affecting our dining ambiance.

Strangely enough, when we made our way upstairs at 8pm the table of 10 plates hadn't been taken away, and even by 8.30. Half an hour for their plates to be taken away, if not longer. Once the waitresses had finally gotten over to their table one of the 10 had asked if it would be possible to having puddings too, which showed that none of the staff had paid any attention to their table. Beginning to really lose my patience by 8.45, AN HOUR after booking a table and being told we'd be pushed closer to having our food and told by Judith on the phone that morning our food wouldn't be long, I made my way to the bar. I asked the blonde guy on the bar how much more of a wait there was he said 'I'll find out now for you' and I returned to my table. Ten minutes later there was no sign of the blonde guy and FINALLY after a good hour and 15 mins wait, our food arrived.

Luckily enough, all the food was cooked to absolute perfection and we were all so hungry it was empty plates all round. The waitress whilst collecting our plates said 'it was worth the wait by the looks of things?' and I thought, well no not really, yes the food was amazing but you don't go out in this day and age and expect to wait an hour and 15 minutes for food. I have worked in the hotel industry for over 10 years myself serving as both a waitress and a bar maid, the longest wait on food is usually the sirloins, leaving the customer waiting a maximum of fifteen minutes during busy season, so this to me was despicable, especially considering that we noticed no food had been bought upstairs to the restaurant/bar area the entire time we'd been seated upstairs, nor to the downstairs area whilst we were drinking there before being called to the table. Nobody came around in The Victoria Inn to ask us how our meals were so I had to track down one of the waitresses for some more plum sauce because my leek mash was very dry, whereas where I work we have a strict rule that we must ask every single table how their meal was and if they'd like any more sauces, so again this disappointed me further, especially considering a few young boys were working there too collecting glasses (two short boys, one blonde with glasses and a red top at the time and the other with dark hair)

The Victoria Inn is a stunning pub, the staff are unbelievably helpful on the bar and the waitresses can be too when you finally have their attention and we will definitely continue to drink there. But if I can offer any advice, regardless if you fancy going there during quiet seasons or during the summer seasons when its busy, I recommend you eat prior to going there unless you're prepared to wait a silly amount of time for dinner. All in all the value for money was reasonable, the total came to £70 for two single bottles of wine, a bottle of wine, two sirloins, duck, hake and two bbq chicken and ribs.

Sorry Victoria Inn, I had unbelievably high expectations of you and the standards were not met for food, we were all left feeling rather low and unsatisfied dining out for my Taid's 84th birthday.

• 1 of 5 bubbles