“WE SHOULD HAVE SLEPT IN THE CAR!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Creel
Parador de la Montana
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Creel
Chula Vista, California
“WE SHOULD HAVE SLEPT IN THE CAR!”
Reviewed 20 May 2010

we stayed there one our way back from our paradise vacation...just because it seemed humble but it not only SMELLED BAD it LOOKED WORSE!.. it was honestly the worst place ever ...id rather stay in a motel 6... we woke up with bed bug bites every where...we would honestly NEVER recommend this place to anyone.. and i feel worse that we actually spent money on these trashy rooms!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank JDMprincess619

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2010

We stayed here when we unexpectedly returned to Creel and found where we stayed previously, the Best Western, was full. Almost next door is the Parador and having looked at the room (OK) and the price (good) we stayed. Nothing fancy but the room and bathroom were clean and comfortable and the heating, though looking bizarre, was effective. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NomadicTeachers
San Diego
Reviewed 3 February 2010

As soon as we walked in, there was an odor of sewage. We asked for another room, and it smelled even worse!
We were very tired so we called it a day and went to sleep...
TRIED to go to sleep.
At abour 5am, my daughter woke us up screaming because there was a BED BUG WALKING ON HER FACE!
We packed our stuff and demanded our money back!
The person at the front desk called the owner, whose name is Alma, to get authorization for a refund and she refused! She said this counts as a night, and a refund never given.

We will NEVER return to this FILTHY place again.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — Bed bugs, dirty, sewage smell, cold, trashy
  • Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank MichaelCPT

Travellers are raving about these Creel hotels

BCS
Reviewed 14 December 2008

Creel will likely be a stopping place along your Copper Canyon tour but there is little reason to stay longer than necessary. It is a city utterly without charm and the Parador fits in perfectly. But if you are on a budget, it may be a better option than the next best hotel that is twice the price.
The beds were comfortable, the shower hot and the breakfast included with our stay was fine. The staff at the front desk was also friendly and helpful.
If you have your own vehicle you will appreciate the off-street parking.

• Liked — Clean rooms
  • Disliked — No ambiance
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2008

I have stayed in some bad hotels before in small towns but this is by far the worst - it feels so unsafe and is dirty and gross. If the Best Western 3 doors down had any rooms available we would have moved for any price.

We arrived off the train in the late afternoon and were picked up by the hotel shuttle. Or should I say delapidated old school bus? This should have given me some idea of what was to come. The lady that checked us in spoke no English, so we were lucky it was all prebooked and paid so we only had to get the key.

Our room was down the back, and on opening the door I thought 'hmmm ,maybe it's not so bad after all?' The furniture is old and outdated. The rug on the floor was gross, the bedspread had stains all over it. But I threw that on the floor and saw the sheets were at least clean.

On further inspection, the bathroom in this place is ferrill. The water was a funny colour so I opted out of showering for the one day. The free water bottles had their seals cracked and I wouldn't have trusted them at all. We could hear every noise from all around us all night. The locks seem very flimsy on the doors and there is no chain or anything. All night we could hear cars driving past our room and people talking loudly as they walked past. We had a knock at our door at 1am and I was so scared. We ignored it and they kept knocking and calling something out in Spanish until my boyfriend got up and answered the door. The person ran away when he did.

I was so glad to get out of here in the morning, we didn't even stay for the free breakfast. We went and had breakfast at the Best Western which was lovely. We also did a tour organised by Best Western for the day while we waited for the train again.

I wouldn't even bother with a stop in Creel if I did the Copper Canyon again. There is nothing in the town at all, and the available tours you can do similar things in Posada Barrancas or Divisadero Barrancas where the accommodation is really lovely.

I don't even have any photos to attach as I was so disappointed I forgot to take them!

By the way - I have stayed in backpackers and hostels before, and have never experienced anything so gross before...

• Liked — Check out
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Antsuz78
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 March 2008

Before giving my review of Hotel Parador de la Montaña I shall say that at time of my visit in March 2008 the hotel scene in Creel yet had to take off and, for international standard, the level of accomodation provided was definitely on the low-end side, suit to cater to backpackers and other low-demanding travelers that for long time have flown into town. As a matter of fact, the best hotel in the center was a Best Western, and, with all due respect for the always valuable Best Western chain, that says much about the hotel scene in town. Therefore, if planning to traveling to Creel, first and foremost you have to recast your expectation and realize you shall live with some discomfort.

Said that, I picked Hotel Parador de la Montaña because it was referenced by Lonely Planet as a quality Midrange hotel in the city center. Location is perfect indeed, right on Main Street, and you won't find any better. Quality of accomodation is comparable to the one provided by one-star motels in US or other low-end motels worldwide. The property itself has the structure of a motel with the rooms lined up on an internal yard with external access. The two rooms I checked out in my stay were both spare and each one had its own problems, but nothing that prevented me sleeping indeed. The heater in the room was noisy but working; bathroom was in urgent need of remodeling and a poor flow of hot water is all what I got. Service was limited to basic front-desk service. The owner speaks fluent English and can help you arranging excursion in the Canyon. My understanding is the hotel is a traditional pick of US Travel Agencies because if was packed with US travelers. I paid for a single room (with credit card) MXP 877 (US$ 85) including taxes and a decent Mexican-style breakfast.

In summary, you need to realize where you are and get ready to face some inconvenience. I spent my first night in town at a different hotel of the same range of quality and it was not any better at all, slightly worse indeed, so that when I returned to Creel after touring the Canyon for my third and last night in town I decided to stay again at the Parador de la Montaña. I suspect it is as good as it gets until the hotel scene in Creel will take off fueled by the increasing flow of international tourists.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathrooms need improvement
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
Woodstock, Illinois
Reviewed 13 February 2007

We stayed here on Feb. 4, 2007. The tile floor had been mopped and the dirt marks were in circles all across the floor. There was black mold in the bathroom and the whole place stank; not just of sewage but of dirty bodies.
But it got worse! We spent most of the evening watching the super bowl in the bar, and didn't realise that the heat wasn't working in our room (#131). The whole hotel was full with a tour group and this was some Mexican holiday so there wasn't anywhere else to move....so I slept with my coat on and had a restless evening. It was cold! I was too grossed out to shower in the morning, and knew that I'd be at a nicer hotel the next evening.

I don't know what the deal was, because in the morning I felt the heater in the bathroom and it was slightly warm although the one in the room never worked. Maybe the heat fluctuates? Other people we were with didn't have hot water.

Thankfully we weren't by the street where there was a constant parade of trucks and cars stirring up a thick cloud of dust most of the night.

Stayed February 2007