“Weekend Away From It”

Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lovedale
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Overall the quality of the the room, service and all that goes with it was very good. The staff in the abr and the restaurant were very nice even though they were very busy, some still had time for a chat. The bed was very comfortable and the outlook from the bistro very nice. Only 2 small issues. There were bags of rubbish or used linen at the base of some stairs which didn't look appealing and the razor in the complimentary toiletries was extremely blunt. Overall a very nice stay was had.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Hi Duns CreekLaney

Thanks for taking the time to review.

I apologise for the rubbish that was left at the base of the stairs and this issue has been raised with our housekeeping team.

Once again, thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here for a conference and the hotel was very good. The rooms were well appointed and clean, reception was helpful and when I checked in, they found an old loyalty membership in their archives which gave me free WiFi. That was much appreciated. Restaurant for breakfast was good and the bar prices were reasonable. I would like to go back for a weekend vacation and explore some of the local wineries. I flew into Newcastle and then grabbed a hire car, which I would recommend as you need a car to explore the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for your comments OzGazman

Your kind comments are appreciated and have been passed on to the team.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we do hope to welcome you back for a weekend vacation.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I checked into this hotel as part of a tour group for just one night. There was also a trade show going on in the hotel at the same time so I'm sure they were pretty busy. But, busy is good. Right?

Check in went great. Bags were delivered to our rooms while the group went on a vineyard tour. So far, so good.

However, when we got to our room later we realized we had been given a handicap accessible room. The shower had no wall or anything to keep water from spreading all over the floor (for wheelchair accessibility, no doubt). The sink was low. So on.

I'm glad they have rooms like this. We just didn't need it and I found it unwieldy to use the shower (water everywhere!!).

The lighting in the room itself was poor which has nothing to do with accessibility issues. One overhead light above the bed flickered, other areas of the room had no lighting at all making the room seem very dim.

Drawer space for clothing was at a premium. Very few drawers. The thermostat had two settings - freezing cold or off. We couldn't seem to get it adjusted to something that was comfortable.

The high points were that the bed was really very comfortable. The room itself was spacious. It had a room safe and a lot of nice amenities including plenty of outlets especially near the bed which I truly appreciate since I have a CPAP machine I need to plug in every night,

Since this is a resort with a golf course and expensive spa treatments, I would have expected rooms that functioned better. That's why I gave it three stars. It was not as bad as some (much better than the Radisson Blu in Sydney) but not what I would have expected from the Crowne Plaza.

Maybe if they hadn't already been busy and if we weren't a member of a tour group staying only for one night it would have been a better experience.

Beautiful location. Gorgeous setting.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MDSuburbs

Hi MDSuburbs

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley.

I have taken your comments on board regarding the wheelchair accessible room and apologise that you were not happy with the room regarding the shower, lighting and draw space.

I am pleased that you were happy with the comfort of the beds and the spacious rooms size.

We do hope to welcome you back when you are next visiting Australia and hopefully for longer then a one night stay.

Once again, thank you so much for your comments.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed in 2villas for 2nights with the whole family to celebrate a birthday. We all had a great weekend stay at the villas (this is our 2nd stay in the villas on a big group). Great place as the villas are very spacious, great location facing the lakes, and great hotel amenities so much things to do especially with kids.

Only thing we noticed is that my husband and inlaw had hay fever never stop sneezing when inside the villa- could be the curtains need cleaning! Other than this everything was great.

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you Mel P for your very kind comments.

I have passed on your comments regarding the curtains for housekeeping and appreciate you taking the time to review.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have been to the Crowne many times and returned this weekend with friends for a winery lunch and adult getaway with friends. In total we had a hotel room, a 2 bedroom villa and a 3 bedroom villa 547).

The good points:
* When we arrived we were happy the villa was already ready so we could get ourselves settled in before our winery lunch
* There are lots of facilities to enjoy, although some are pretty tired.
* Great location

The areas for improvement:
* Our villa ensuite was poorly maintained. The toilet seat was very obviously damaged so it wobbled from side to side when we sat on it. And the toilet roll holder fell apart on the first attempt to get paper. I know that things break over time, but anyone cleaning that villa would have noticed things were not right and should have had the problems fixed.
* There was no ipod dock. This came as a great surprise as other rooms we have stayed in have had docks. This meant no music, which was a shame when we all gathered after our lunch to share the afternoon and evening together. We resorted at 8.30pm to driving one of our cars closer to the door and gathering out the front but were quickly told off by staff. I again asked for some sort of ipod dock and was told they didn't have any available.
* There was no hairdryer in either of our 2 bathrooms - not really up to scratch for the price of the villa
* The air con was INCREDIBLY noisy - it would cut on and off every 5-10mins overnight and woke us several times.
* Finally, the breakfast staff were good enough to offer to seat all 12 of us together in the morning on the terrace. What we were told was that there was a major gas leak and the smell was quite overpowering, not to mention quite scary if someone lit a cigarette. When I raised the issue the staff said they would get maintenance there but nothing happened in the next hour. Gas leaks aren't like a wonky table - they kind of need to be attended to ASAP.

I did write out most of the above issues for the reception staff member who checked me out, so I'm hoping they will be attended to so we can come back and enjoy the hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ambers_view

Hi Ambers_view

Thanks so much for your recent review of our resort.

Firstly, I apologise that you stay did not exceed your expectations and that your villa had a few maintenance issues. I have raised these issues personally with the Chief Engineer who will be attending to these immediately.

I am pleased that you you were happy with the facilities we have on offer and our location and do sincerely hope that you will give us another chance and come back and see how we have improved.

Once again, thank you so much for your comments.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We are members of Priority and always enjoy staying at the IHG hotels. Just had weekend stay there staff very friendly and professional, beautiful suite with balcony, will be definately going back. Redsalt restaurant for dinner wonderful, beautiful food.

Room Tip: Stay in a suite, with balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi lorraine m

Thanks for your great review.

I am so pleased that your weekend stay was great and that you found the staff friendly and professional.

I will pass your kind words onto the team.

Once again, thanks for your comments

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We were attending a wedding in the Hunter Valley and as this is just a tad too far from Sydney to drive home at 11pm we elected to stay overnight. Accommodation is expensive, but we cut our costs by sharing a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom villa with another couple that we knew were also attending the wedding. The accommodation was excellent with a kitchen, spacious living room with TV, 2 bedrooms and main and ensuite bathrooms, all with great views over the golf course. Lunch in the bar area was good value (although the young lady taking our meal order could have actually looked us in the eye and smiled), but we decided to give the full buffet breakfast at $38 per person (continental breakfast available for $28 per person) a miss as we felt this was just a tad expensive. We found a great cafe near one of the wineries and grabbed a grabbed a hot breakky for approx $20 a head. All in all, I would go back and stay again.

Room Tip: We ended up in a wheelchair accessible room, although we didn't request or need it. All good ex...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Linda A

Thanks for much for your review.

I hope you enjoyed the wedding. I am pleased that you were happy with the room and do sincerely hope to welcome you back for another stay.

Kindest regards
Robert Coates

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lovedale
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
#1 of 15 in Pokolbin
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#11 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!