“Not as good as it once was”
Review of Presidente Hotel

Presidente Hotel
Essex
“Not as good as it once was”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

It's a shame there isn't a rating between average and very good, I would say the Presidente is better than average, but a couple of niggles stop it getting a very good rating.
We had previously stayed there in 2009 and had a very good holiday in a group of three families. A not fantastically successful 2010 for the various members of the group separately and for different reasons meant we were keen to go back to this place, and we did have a good holiday, but we were disappointed in a couple of things.

Back in 09 there was an all-inclusive option, but we had gone half-board as had most of the people staying there, when we booked again we didn't even consider this but when we got there it turns out the emphasis has very much gone to cater for the all-inclusive customer and there were very few people without the wristbands. This has meant that certain aspects of the service have gone slightly down in my estimation. The food is still great, but because of the all inclusive they no longer do lunchtime meals in the poolside bar, just a vey poor cold ham and cheese sandwich. Also the quality of the drinks has worsened, the all inclusive option means that you end up being served cheap locally produced brands in plastic glasses for which us non-all-inclusive were being charged quite high prices (the water was free thankfully).

Of an evening, the change meant that waiters no longer took orders at your table and that jugs of sangria (or anything else) we had enjoyed previously were no longer served, and everything came in those horrible plastic glasses.

Moving on, I also suspect the entertainment budget is not what it once was, this years reps were friendly enough and seemed like a good bunch, but they couldn't match up to their counterparts of 2009.

On the plus side the location is still brilliant, even if cardiac hill is tough on the calfs, and the staff at the hotel could not be faulted for attentiveness and service. Also the rooms are spotlessly clean.

Saving the best till last I have a quite serious warning for all parents. DO NOT LET SMALL CHILDREN RUN AROUND THE STAGE WHEN THERE IS NOTHING GOING ON ON IT. Our youngest did and tripped up on a hook that is usually left exposed on the ground and went head first into the bare metal RSJs that act as struts for the roof, this resulted in a very deep cut on his forehead that needed five stitches. Now accidents happen and we aren't blaming anyone else for this, although the exposed hook and rusty beams could be looked at, but I do have a quite serious complaint which I will be writing to Thomson about.

Following the incident the hotel phoned for an ambulance, alas this took 45 minutes to get there. As it turns out Thomson have an arrangement with a clinic in San Antonio and the hotel are instructed to phone them when anything happens. Luckily our sons cut turned out to look worse than it was and by the time the ambulance turned up he was quite calm, we were then driven to San Antonio for a ten minute operation and driven back, each journey taking over half an hour at considerable cost (we are insured, but that is not the point). We were also told that we had to go back a week later to get the stitches taken out meaning another journey to San Antonio and back. I had seen a sign for a doctor in Portinatx itself, upon investigation it turns out there is a perfectly good doctor sitting a five minute walk from the hotel who could have dealt with the whole thing in the time it took the ambulance simply to appear, he agreed to take the stitches out saving us a whole morning of messing about. It seems to us that Thomson are not putting the safety of guests paramount with this arrangement, if our son had had anything more serious the delay in being seen by someone with medical qualifications could have had quite serious implications. As mentioned I will be taking this matter up with them.

All in all, the Presidente is a perfectly good option for a family holiday. Our disappointments are really based on comparison with the previous visit, but it would be unfair to say that they are not a good all inclusive hotel just because of our individual circumstances, people looking for that type of holiday could do a lot worse, and as for the incident with our boy I would just say to people that if it seems that it is not that serious an incident and you can get there, then go to the doctor in the square. If it turns out to be more serious he will get you an ambulance.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
England
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Disappointing!
Having been to a Thomson SuperFamily resort before I had high expectations or a similar experience, I didn't. I had a pleasant holiday as our family just got on with it and we made it what we needed it to be, no thanks to the Hotel Presidente which could pass as a parody of Fawlty Towers.
If you like plastic infested, all you can consume, take the ground hog day Thomson trip to the presidente where all you dreamt your holiday destination would be turns out to be a damp squid.
Thomson show sea views and the view of the bay in Portinatx is beautiful for the small minority of people who somehow qualify, probably Thomson friends, family and lifetime members of the hotel presidente loyalty club. The family room we booked turned out to be two double beds with 18 inches separating them and when I complained I was given the family room with a bunk bed. We spent the first three nights with our eight year old in the twin double bed worrying that she may fall 6 feet onto a concrete floor. Only then the hotel found a bed guard.
The hotel is in desperate need of a facelift, a bull dozer would be a good place to start and a refresher training course for the staff (Vera on reception should be the first) on remember who the customer is. All of this "all inclusive" customer service has de-sensiticised them to the fact that they still have cash paying guests who resent paying 3x's the local price to drink beer from plastic cups.
The pool is smaller than the photos let on and by lunchtime has a murky look to it. The beds are a lottery as to whether you will have an old one or a broken one, Thomson need to replace them all as a matter of urgency. A real disgrace.

Now, the good:
Portinatx's beaches are nice, clean and worth a visit.
Go to the local car rental next to Sarsenal and negotiate a car hire package, we got a car for 45€ day as most of Ibiza can be reached in 40 mins drive.
We walked to the sarsenal supermarket to pick up a lunch, with drinks €12 and the restaurant nearby was very pleasant.
Rather than allow the hotel to defraud us, I took to buying San miguel cans from the local shop and enjoying those at a third of the price most evenings.
The kids clubs were great and the best part of the resort. Tots and team were loved by my kids.

I travel more than I'm at home, I know hotels better than most and this one is broken, please save your money and consider going once they have communicated what changes they are committing to make - I won't hold my breath.

• Stayed August 2011

Travellers are raving about these Sant Joan de Labritja hotels

north west
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Have just returned from 2 weeks at this hotel, firstly agree with other posters, room was small and the beds were very uncomfortable, we were on the ground floor overlooking the front of the hotel which could be noisy on arrival/departure days. The outside entertainment was awful thomson entetainment reps worked hard but lacked something, we have been going to thomson family resorts for over 8 years and have had much better. kids club reps were great - messy mandy, bubbly bianca, awesome ash and terric trav were my kids favourites. My daughter also did the stage acedamy and she had a ball thanks to Lucy and Vanessa who ran it.
1st week you could always get sunbeds and parsols up to 9.30 - a lot later than most places we have been to, 2nd week there were still a few left at 9 but the reps did say that the 2nd week was the busiest one of the season and the hotel was full to capacity, there were plenty of parasols roughly 1 every 2 beds.
We went AI food was plentiful and on the whole good though i am quite fussy and struggled a few times, my husband never had a problem, wine on tap was drinkable and there are proper glasses at meal times. Staff were great, restaurant staff always had a smile and were quick and efficent, had a problem with one waiter at the pool bar who would only give my 11 year old one drink at a time even though the other was for me and other staff didn't have a problem giving kids 2 drinks at a time.
Portinax is lovely, `cardiac `hill is no where near as bad as it has been made out to be.
Pool and splash pool were closed 2 days when someone decided to use it as a toilet - makes you ashamed to be british at times.
But there were some lovely people there, kids made loads of friends and we spoke to people who had returned for the 2nd year running, one family had been coming for the last 8 years! but admitted it had gone down hill from last year mainly due to the entertainment team, overall a good holiday but we would not return

Room Tip: not ground floor overlooking the front, ones at ther back overlooking the splash pool were good
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank wends01
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 August 2011

This was our second year in this hotel, good family atmosphere but compared to last year not as good. The entertainment was diabolical, one old man who bored everyone, and two other guys on a different night who were very low key, obviously the hotel are not paying much for their entertainment. We chose to return because of the football pitch which had been open last year till 11, this year it was closed unless for the football coaching and adult football. This had been a great place for kids to meet by playing ball, when I inquired why, supposedly last year there had been trouble with teenagers, and the hotel's insurance did not cover it unsupervised!! very poor excuse as they could easily have installed a camera and even left it open till 9 supervised. I was also disappointed that there was only adult football in the afternoon, and the only way your child got a game was to pay for the training, I understood that there were to be two coaches and there was only one but I chose this hotel for the football which my son loves, and although he loved the training he ended up disappointed that that was the only time he could play.
Food was good most nights but also not as good as last year, and when I asked could I have lunch instead of dinner one day only as we were half board, I was told no because of numbers!!!! The guy did say we could take a sandwich at breakfast, big deal and poor service. Apart from that we did have a lovely time and really like the resort, but will not go back to that hotel unless entertainment and football pitch issue is resolved. Have to also add the beds are extremely uncomfortable, as we had also spent 3 nights in Miami hotel in Es Cana and their beds were fine.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Usually im use to 5 start luxary hotels, but due to friends staying in the area this was the best rating we could find.

Firstly, DRINKS!, €2.35 for a small coke? Do i look stupid? I suggest that you walk to the local shop as 2L of coke was €1.90. Although i read that you could go all inclusive for €13pppd

Internet, i emailed the hotel beforehand and asked about WiFi, they said it was free and i replyed and asked if we could have a first floor room above the Lobby so i could use it in my room, when arrived we were in the last room on the top floor, room 416.
ohhh, by the way the password is 'Suite'

Also they is a bar down by the front called 'Sarsenal' and they have free WiFi, their password is 'IBIZA' in capitals.

*** Be aware that they is a very very steep hill to get up to the hotel, i suggest that any elderly people didnt go to this hotel ***

Aircon, now... the aircon in our room was set to 22oc and you pressed a button and it was on for 2hours then turned off. Although, if you look behind the curtain theres a fuse that you can turn to change it to 3 hours, 10 hours, or 12 hours. and when you want to turn it off, but flick the fuse master switch off and on.

Rooms, the rooms needed a very good update, they were a bit old and needed a lick of paint, also they need to upgrade the key system to the 'keycard' system insted of the old fashioned 'metal key'

Entertainment, We never stayed in the hotel or went around the pool as it was full of children, and also the drink are too pricey, we usually headed to the beach everyday, if you arrive for 9.30-10am your guatenteed a sun lounger, they cost €5 each.
When we arrived back at the hotel at around 11-12pm, no one was around, no entertainment or anything.

Food, now, im a rather fussy eater, i dont like seafood, im picky on meat, ect. i found that they wasnt a great deal of choice, i usually just had a plate of chips with gravy, (The gravy is beautiful).

We got a taxi to San Antonio for a night and it cost just short of €100 their and back, i would suggest that anyone vistiting Ibiza to go to San Antonio. Everyone has a stereotypical mind of San Antonio as a party place full of drunken laughts. but theres more old people and family's there. i have been to San Antonio 6 times now and i would always go back. if you do decide to go, the hotel 'Hawaii' is in the best location and in resonalble walking distance to the main part.

Room Tip: Always email the hotel beforehand and tell them that you'll be writing a review for TUI
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank AmyLouG94
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We booked a last minute holiday at the Hotel Presidente and enjoyed every minute. The service and food in the restaurant was excellent and the staff should be congratulated. The rooms were clean and the service was good, they were not particularly large but lived up to their rating. Some of the rooms at the back of the hotel were a bit cramped (family rooms) but our twin room 333 at the front of the hotel was perfectly adequate. The Thomson staff worked tirelessly to ensure everyone enjoyed their stay. The pool area was crowded but we we able to use the adults only area which suited us perfectly, as an older couple without the quieter area I would have not been so happy. The families with children all seemed to be having great time. The bar staff did not always have a smile but you must remember that when a hotel is all inclusive there are no tips and they worked efficiently to keep everyone served. It might be worth holiday compnies adding a tip option on their booking particularly for all inclusive hotels (like a cruise) that way all the staff would be rewarded. I would willingly have added 20/30 euro to my total bill for distribution although I did my own tipping. I think the hotel could offer some form of shuttle to the beach (golf buggy) as it is difficult for some older and perhaps younger, less mobile holiday makers to reach the resort. I saw no evidence of uncontrolled children, just people enjoying themselves. It was a pleasure to be in a predominately British resort, everyone was so polite, they all queued and there was no queue jumping either at the bars or the restaurant. Would I go again? Yes, but probably at a slightly quieter time (not so close to school holidays) and provided I could get the same room or one better. The one downside for me was the check in at Gatwick, absolute chaos with all flights checking in together, from being early we ended up late through no fault of our own. If Thomson need someone to sort it, give me a ring, I would be happy to oblige. Transfers to the resort was also a lengthy process with over an hour wait at the airport before departure. All in all a good holiday, great value for money (for what I paid), well done Thomson and Hotel Presidente. We travelled 15th - 23rd July.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Verykeengolfer
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Just returned from 10 day all inclusive at the Presidente & it felt like 10 weeks, First off how Thomson’s have the nerve to give this a 4 T rating is beyond me, At best 3 T & an official 2 ** Hotel.
All alcoholic drinks are served in 330ml plastic glasses (San Miguel being the only beer on offer) soft drinks in 187ml plastic, Children’s ice creams & ice lollies are that small by the time you had returned to your sun bed they had melted, talking of sun bends I have seen Sardines with more space in a tin you can’t get to the pool because they are that close together & all taken by 8.30 am !
Entertainment bit like Hi De Hi & very limited, Highlight seemed to be the Bingo – Sad !
Rooms very tired & limited, Staff as you would expect in majority all inclusive hotel miserable, But the best bit is all the add ones, Bear in mind this is supposed to be a 4T rating £3.90 Euros per day for a Fridge, £3.90 a day for safety deposit box £46.00 Euros to keep your room on & god forbid you arrive after 11.00pm of a night if you want a drink its another £3.00 for a small beer !
I can honestly say it is the worst Holiday I have had, It has been 15 years since I last went to Spain you can double that & add a 0 on the end before I go again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Intertur Hotel Hawaii Ibiza
Intertur Hotel Hawaii Ibiza
#3 of 100 in Sant Antoni de Portmany
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,890 reviews

Been to Presidente Hotel? Share your experiences!