Hotel Presidente
US$161
La Ciguena(Portinatx)
US$163
  • Breakfast included
Agroturismo Can Planells(Sant Miquel De Balansat)
TripAdvisor
Ca Na Xica - Boutique Hotel & Spa(Sant Miquel De Balansat)
TripAdvisor
Agroturismo Ca Sa Vilda Marge(Sant Joan de Labritja)
TripAdvisor
Agroturism Sa Vinya den Palerm(Sant Miquel De Balansat)
1,268 results
All reviewssteep hillsplash poolice creamevening entertainmentkids clubel grecofamily holidaybunk bedshalf boardfeed the fishsoft playgreat holidaybar staffglass bottom boatwalking difficultieskids repsfamily room
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Day 2 and I had my phone stolen from my bag around the pool. I only went in the pool for 10 minutes to cool off and it had gone when I got back. It was in my bag and under my sunbed. The rep was of no use at all, didn't really want to know. I thought it would be important to the hotels reputation to know there were thieves operating at the hotel . The rooms were drab and dirty and food was absolutely disgusting. I really would avoid this hotel if you want to come home with all your belonging but would recommend it if anyone wanting to lose a few pounds, the food gave me a really bad stomach upset. First choice, you need to review this hotel, you have a a duty of care to your customers.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
10  Thank Tripper2888
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Nice 3 star family hotel . good situation overlooking Portinatx lovely bay .The food was first class (british ) . Sea view rooms have a stunning view . A busy family hotel , lots of kids but no problem , nice adults only sun bathing area . Bad points , plastic cups are used for all drinks day and night . they opened the adults only Chill Out area where the give you glass glasses but they only serve premium drinks which you have to pay for even though you are on all inclusive . Not much entertainment . We stayed here 11 june _21 june 2014 . My wife and i enjoyed our stay and would possibly return as the prices are good .

Room Tip: sea view rooms give you a wonderful view .
3  Thank iainm495
Reviewed 2 July 2014

CONS;
1) The rooms look nothing like they do in the pictures on the First Choice website. They are far more basic and generally of a poorer quality.
2) The 'wifi' is very limited. Can only be accessed within the reception area and is very temperamental - for example on regular occasions it randomly prevents you from connecting for hours at a time.
3) The hotel is VERY noisy. Early hours of the morning were impossible to sleep through without being disturbed. The hotel is poorly built, (the walls are thin) but this could be easily counter-balanced by the hotel providing a clear advertised curfew and a zero tolerance policy regarding noise at night. The majority of guests appeared to have no consideration for others and shouting and screaming were a common occurrence. Many nights we were kept awake till 2AM, cannabis was also consumed throughout the night by those staying at the hotel.

PROS;
1) Staff; The staff on hand were always friendly and helpful, including those within the restaurant.
2) Location; easy 5 minute walk to the beach.
3) Communal areas; inviting and well presented.
4) Cleanliness of the hotel; including within the rooms and communal areas. The maid service does a good job, cleaning the rooms daily as well as restocking essentials such as towels and basic toiletries.

8  Thank DaveHB1994
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Booked on line and got ten days including sea view and transfers for £600.Asked for a high floor room away from the stage,and got one with a great sea view over the bay.Maybe an older hotel,but clean and fine.Door to balcony opened quietly.No problems there.No noise from other rooms each side at all.Nice to see no rush for sunbeds,and plenty left at even 11.Went to the adult chill out area below the main area and always got a sunbed and parasol.Nice and quite.Food was very good and plenty of choices,both hot food and salads.Think the moans are from folks that like chips with everything and never have anything else!No complaints from everyone we talked to and better than many other hotels we have stayed at.Main pool was large and saw kids and parents enjoying it,and also there was a small kids pool,and a great kids pool with slides and fountains.Can not understand that some say kids running amock,as we only saw young kids just being excited kids and having fun on their holiday.Dont like kids,then don't go to a family hotel!.The outside pool bar is the only one open,and bar staff were fine and no queues at all.Entertainment during the day was only a few games,and at night was the same songs played everynight,which was poor.Bingo at 9 till 10 when kids got bored,and then a live act three times a week.But if you want blasted out tribute groups,then don't go.Always quite..There is a slope down to the beach,but not to bad.Beach is very good and sea very shallow and fine for kids to paddle and swim in.Not many shops or bars in the area,but a relaxing and laid back resort.We enjoyed it,as did many others we spoke to with no complaints at all.No kids clubs now,but why do parents want them instead of them looking after their kids?All the kids were happy and had a good time,but some parents may want a good time with drinks and keep their kids awake longer than neded.All in all a good hotel,good value,good food,happy staff,and would recommended it.Always some that complain about petty things.

Room Tip: All the above remarks were excellent,but came up terrible for some reason.
11  Thank happycoupleYorkshire
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed at Hotel Presidente during May half term this year with my husband and 7 year old daughter. We booked through First Choice at a cost of £1900 all inclusive, which I feel was very expensive for the service and quality we received at the hotel. If you like your reviews short and sweet, I would give you this advice: DO NOT BOOK AT HOTEL PRESIDENTE.

Still with me? Ok, here we go - As stated in previous reviews, check in is quick and fast and the receptionist was very friendly and helpful. The rooms are very basic and not at all like the pictures advertised on the First Choice website. Our bathroom was worn, broken and decrepit. The bath had rusty areas which looked very unsightly, cracked tiles and the door to the bathroom had a large split in it, the toilet seat was stained and rusty and when you sat down on it, it collapsed every time. My daughter thought this hilarious but us adults not so.

When we arrived, even though the hotel knew we were a family of two adults and one child, my daughter’s bed had no sheets and there were no towels provided for her. I asked the reception for these items, and they were delivered to me very quickly which was very positive.

The balcony in our room was very dirty when we arrived, and felt unsafe to stand on. We were reluctant to use it for the remainder of the holiday. Every morning at 7am we were woken by maids as they cleaned the outside toilets just underneath our room. Not my idea of a relaxing holiday.

Now to the food & restaurant: The First Choice website stated that there was a children’s food service area, where they could help themselves to their own lunch or dinner, my daughter loves this aspect of the holiday and she was really looking forward to it. When we arrived this was clearly not the case, and the area that I presume was the children’s self service station was completely closed down. Upon reading reviews on this hotel after we returned, it seems that Thomson (a subsidiary of First Choice) have withdrawn from this hotel (with good reason) therefore, the children’s serving area has now come to an end.

The quality of the food was poor and the variety was very limited. I am a vegetarian, and struggled to find suitable dishes to eat throughout the week that we were there. Most days I ate cheese salad as there were no other alternatives. On four occasions while we were there, the vegetarian option was deep fried battered courgettes. There were plenty of salads on offer, but on closer inspection the salads, all bar one (on nearly every lunch and dinner sitting) contained either ham or chicken which I presume was left over from the previous day’s meat course. The content/ingredients of the salads were not displayed and on the first few occasions, I took some salad only to find a piece of ham in it.

In addition to this poor lack of labelling, I noticed several dishes including salad, which contained nuts. Nothing was labelled to tell the guest that it contained nuts, so if someone had a nut allergy and took some salad, they would not realise until it was far too late, with disastrous consequences. Surely, if a food item contained nuts, then this should be clearly labelled. So if you have a nut allergy, I would avoid this hotel at all costs.

On an average day there was one fish option, two meats and one vegetarian choice (hello again deep friend courgettes), salads and chips. There were lots of what I call ‘brown’ food – fish fingers, chicken nuggets, turkey dinosaurs. Not the sort of food I would expect on holiday, it misguidedly caters for the Brit crowd, but when on holiday I enjoy tasting local dishes not rubbish from Iceland.

The actual quality of the food was also very poor. The vegetarian coleslaw which was on offer at every meal bar breakfast, consisted of last night’s iceberg lettuce, this was obvious due to the brown and wilting leaves which I found in the coleslaw on numerous occasions. I often saw rehashed fish and meat dishes which had been tarted up a bit and battered, obviously left over from a previous serving.

The hotel also ran out of several items throughout the week, the most frustrating being the ice cream at the pool bar. One morning, my husband asked the waiting staff for more ice-creams, and the he said that there wouldn’t be any until the afternoon. On the first day were there, there were plenty of mini milk ice creams but within two days, the only choice available was a tub of mixed vanilla and strawberry. So if you go all inclusive for unlimited ice cream then you will be disappointed. Interestingly they never ran out of the ‘paid’ for ice creams, funny that.

On several occasions, the wine in the dining room ran out, usually at the start of the dinner or lunch times, again, surely this should be checked before the service begins? It took a long time to be refilled, and on one occasions I had finished my meal before it was replenished. Another time, I had to leave the dining room and go to the bar to get a drink. Other items that ran out was clean serving bowls for breakfast, brown bread at breakfast, coke/fizzy drinks, pineapple juice, orange juice, coffee and chocolate spread. And if you wanted coffee after a meal, you could not get this in the dining room. Instead you had to go to the bar and have it served in a polystyrene cup.

The quality of the wine was also very cheap, and tasted disgusting. In addition to this the cereal served at breakfast time tasted cheap and nasty. My daughter took one spoonful of the coco pops and spat them out. The breakfast was the same every morning with no variety – fine if you like a full English breakfast but if you crave something healthier – forget it. The muesli tasted like sawdust and they often ran out of raisins or other dried fruit to add to it, no jam just foul tasting marmalade and tasteless croissants and other pastries. Often the bread was stale and obviously left over from the previous day’s serving. We took some bread to feed the fish in Portinatx and that was all it was good for really.

The water on offer was clearly from a tap and not bottled or filtered. I realised this because after half an hour left standing, the water gave off a chemical, bitter aftertaste which is what occurs once water is left standing for a while. This does not happen with bottled water. Also, if you wanted bottled water you had to pay for it! I have stayed in numerous AI hotels and you never have to pay for bottled water. In addition all the drinks are served in a plastic cup, which is fine around the pool side as it is a health and safety matter, but to drink wine out of plastic cups during your evening meal is cheap and nasty, and that isn't even considering the environmental aspect, there was so much waste.

The entertainment was very poor and most evenings the children’s disco came on at 8pm and the children were left to their own devices. Running around with no supervision, and while I realise it is the parent’s responsibility to supervise their children, not having a structured entertainment programme surely contributed to this behaviour. There only seemed to be one entertainer around on most evenings and the disco often began late. The music was the same every night – it was as if they put on a mix CD and left the kids to get on with it. If you enjoy the music from Frozen you will be fine, I used to love it, but since returning it is like a mind control technique and I am transported back to Hotel Presidente, which isn’t a good thing!

We found some of the staff very rude and unfriendly; there were no greetings (other from the maids who always said hola every morning) from bar staff who grunted at you when you asked for a drink.

We also found the furniture around the pool side to be very old and in some cases broken. The sun loungers in the second row behind the actual pool were uncomfortable, sometimes broken and sagging in the middle. On one occasion, my husband put a parasol up next to his sun lounger. The mechanism was broken, so it could not be securely attached to the base. After ten minutes, there was a sudden gust of wind, which blew the parasol into the air and landed on a lady sunbathing ten feet behind us. Luckily she was not hurt, but this could have resulted in a very nasty accident, especially if a young child was involved.

On the Thursday before I can home, I was unlucky enough to suffer from a severe diarrhoea bug which I believe I picked up at the hotel, either through uncleanliness or from the water that was on offer throughout the hotel. I was very ill and was unable to do anything else for the rest of the holiday.

Portinatx itself is lovely, the beach is glorious with plenty of activities, sun loungers (5 Euros each to hire a day) and parasols. I would definitely recommend hiring a pedalo and feeding the fish (just don’t stick your finger in the water – ouch!!) and a trip on the glass bottomed boat (get there early as it does get busy).

Other points to consider:

• Freezing cold pool (it will probably warm up in the warmer months)
• A steep hill to the beach, which may prove difficult for guests with mobility problems
• Beautiful view from our room onto the beach at Portinatx
• Couldn't find any toilets on the beach so had to use the restaurants and cafes
• A long transfer from the airport, along a very narrow winding road (a little bit scary – and not great for me coming home on an upset tummy!)

So all in all, I would not recommend this hotel, it is one of the only holidays, three days in that I was yearning to go home. I actually counted down the days, which is very sad. Listen to the reviews and go somewhere else. I would recommend Hotel Costa Calero in Lanzarote – amazing hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family