“average place.”

Hotel Juan Francisco
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Guejar Sierra
Reviewed 5 August 2013

the location was good, in a typical Spanish mountainvillage, with white romantic houses and cosy narrow streets and staircases.
The hotel itself is a bit oldfashioned, underaverage interior, rooms and facilities are not up to date.
The kitchen, food and beverage are average, service was ok.
It is a noisy hotel and the noise of the restaurantguests late at night can be heard well in your room.
I was there with for a cyclingtrip with Portugal Nature Trails, called Trans Sierra Nevada, that was a fantastic adventure and well organised.

Room Tip: don`t take a room above the restaurant.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

Great location for heading to the ski slopes or to Granada. The staff are very friendly and helpful, with large, clean rooms and lots of hot water to soak tired muscles after a day skiing. The village has many wonderful local bars with great tapas to enjoy. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We have been to this hotel on a number of occasions. My husband and 13 year old son stayed over half term when they went skiing. They had a really good time. Lots of hot water, comfy beds, good continental style breakfast, good choice of TV, fre e WIFI, No prob The food in the restaurant great but most of all they love the atmosphere in the bar, where there is a lovely log burner pumping out and lots of free tapas which accompany your drinks. This hotel is ideal if you are going skiing and dont want to pay to stay up the mountain - and also for walking in the summer.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jacki P
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stopped in this hotel in January 2012. Having never been skiing, or to this area before I booked it "blindly", worried about whether it was suitable to stop for the ski resorts of Sierra nevada - I had no need to worry.

Guejar is around 20 minute easy drive to the actual resort, even in the depths of winter the roads are as clear as a summers day. I did have good weather so am unsure what it is like if it isn't.

The hotel is budget and basic, but very very friendly. They do not speak English but make you feel very welcome. The rooms are spacious and very clean with TV, en suite and a lovely view of the mountains.

There is a lovely "rural" looking bar. I went for a drink and with my drink came complimentary tapas of ham on local bread. Unfortunately I am Vegetarian and had to decline, but I thought the offer was fantastic.

The breakfast was basic, but when I booked it was so cheap I wasn't expecting anything. The owner cooked me toast (on lovely local rustic bread) and I had my choice of cereals and juices. Fruits and pastries were also available.

My only disappointment (and it wasn't that big a deal) was the hotel states it has wi-fi. It has, and it is free, but you can only get this in the lobby and the bar.

All in all, I am already planning to go back next February, but this time with the family. We will stay at this hotel.

As for the skiing. I have never been before so don't know how this ranks with other resorts, but for a total beginner it was perfect. Everything can be hired (and I thought it was quite cheap - 40 euros for skis / poles / boots for 2 days) , the ski passes were 70 euro for 2 days. There are baby slopes to the right of the gondola and then green / blue and black runs. There are food and drink outlets which were surprisingly cheap (about 2 euro for a litre of coke) and you can choose cheap parking 5 mins away for 5 euro a day, or park right by the gondola (underground) and it cost about 12 euro for the day. Lessons are available for various prices and if you head to Club Sport (about 10 metres from the Gondola) they have English speaking (one actually Australian) guides.

As I said, I am hooked and going back - cant wait

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Clean hotel with friendly staff. We visited in early May and were almost alone throughout the hotel and town. It proved a fine location to hike into the Sierras. Restaurant was one of only a few open in the town and had a nice patio. Food was average. Parking lot available to guests.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Nice little hotel, rooms clean, comfortable and adequate. Nice bath, plenty of hot water, mountain vews. Conveniently located just minutes stroll from village centre and bars. Good breakfast. Staff friendly if not exactly dynamic. Small outdoor pool open in summer, carpark. All in all, very happy with what I had for the price I paid (about £30 a night)
I stayed here to ski at SolyNieve, Sierra Nevada and it worked perfectly - 25 minute drive door to door via the back road, and avoided the high costs of the ski resort. Also its an easy quarter of an hour to Granada for the Alhambra and great tapas..
Only downside - it was quite noisy at the weekend with people clomping about, coming and going in the corridors until about midnight, but that all stopped come monday, then it was perfectly peaceful. Generally I'd say avoid Sierra Nevada at weekends if at all possible, it is very very crowded.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 January 2011

As a birthday present to our friends, we decided to visit the Sierra Nevada and the Hotel Juan Francisco (known locally as San Francisco, btw) over the New Year weekend.

We originally planned to drive down at sunrise, but arrived the day before instead after checking with the hotel beforehand. I'm really glad we did, as this allowed us to buy lift passes and collect ski equipment a day early, which probably saved a couple of hours. As others will tell you, the ski resort gets VERY busy at weekends, especially over the holidays!

Guejar Sierra has two roads in. One from the bottom of the Sierra Nevada main road and the other from the top, which acts as a good short cut if coming back from the mountain. Beware this route is very steep - my brakes smelt like an old chimney by the time we pulled up outside the hotel.

Finding the hotel, especially in the dark, isn't easy. If coming in from the short cut, watch for the small 'Granada' direction sign on the wall. The hotel is 20 meters further on to the right. Either way, look for the bright blue neon Hotel sign on the roof. You can't really miss it as you come down the mountain roads at night.

There's a fairly large car park at the rear, and check-in was a breeze. There's 5 floors - we had rooms on the 1st and 4th, which were all very spacious and some with balconies. All rooms seemed to be twins though, but we simply pushed the beds together. There's actually an amazing lounge room on the 5th, perfect for pre or post dinner drinks.

After a long drive down, we didn't feel like exploring the town, so ate at the hotel which was very busy with locals dropping into the bar for a drink. Dinner was served from 8.30, so we had a few drinks in the bar, all server with superb complimentary tapas. It amazes me how they can serve such amazing snacks and still make any money.

Food at the hotel restaurant was equally great. We went for the daily 3-course special for 10 euros including a drink. It started with a tapas entrée, followed by a selection of dishes to make up the starter, main and desert. Interesting translations for the dishes though, such as 'Asparagus all messed up with garlic'. After a few more drinks in the bar afterwards, we retired.

Breakfast the next morning was typically Mediterranean, but plentiful and fresh. We left for the Ski resort to blue skies and returned about 8pm as the traffic out was pretty heavy. We decided to head into town to check out the local bars and food. The best bar seemed to be the one in the corner of the main square nearest the hotel. Amazing tapas again. Of course, nobody really speak any English, but you can easily get by.

Although there were 3 or 4 restaurants in the town, they were a little expensive or take away, so we decided to head back to the hotel bar. Even though we were practically the only ones eating, they still opened up the restaurant for us at 10.15, Given the generous portions, we decided to try some goat from the main menu (not the best in the world) and a few other dishes.

Things went rather downhill from there, as we returned back to the bar for a few Solle Sombre's (Moorish but evil). About 3am the barman wanted his bed, so reluctantly we grabbed a refill and headed to a room. At about 5am there was a tap on the door to ask if we could be a little quieter, so we decided it was probably time to go to bed. Amazingly, we didn't actually make it to the slopes until 1pm the next day, but despite how much we'd pushed our luck, the hotel let us leave one of the cars there for the day.

To sum up - a brilliant weekend, where the hotel simply couldn't have been any kinder if they'd tried.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Melia Sol y Nieve
Melia Sol y Nieve
#1 of 12 in Nevada
Hotel Rural Zerbinetta

Been to Hotel Juan Francisco? Share your experiences!