“Balos gets worse every year”

Cretan Daily Cruises
Ranked #1 of 8 Tours in Kissamos
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Athens, Greece
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Balos gets worse every year”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Balos is a large lake of sea water located at the north west of Crete at the Gramvoussa peninsula. The place was untouched and known only to very few locals until a couple of decades ago.
When I visited it for the first time I was really impressed with the clear waters and the clean sea. It was still unspoiled, very few cruises, no road access, no place to buy food or water. Since then, everytime I go back I get more and more disapointed. The place is very crowded, it needs to be cleaned up, and the local authorities should understand that the proper development has to be sustainable and preserve the wild breathtaking beauty of this place. Otherwise, tourists will simply stop comming.
For someone that has not seen Gramvousa Balos at its former state, it's certainly worth spending a day. I just hope that the people running the cruises and the local businessmen also read these reviews...

Visited August 2013

• Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Pirate Fun Cruise in Souda Bay is Amazing”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

One of the cruises offered by Gramvousa Balos Cruises is the Pirate Fun Cruise which departs from Souda Port daily (from May to October) at 10:00 and returns to Souda Port at 16:30. Honestly I thought I was going to be prisoner on board a medium sized boat and over charged for everything, while having to chase our son around to prevent him from bugging other people who were also sick of the tourist prices and entitlement complex most tourists take on because they are so catered to. You know what? I could not have been more wrong!

It was great, the boat, the Black Pearl, is an older 30 meter, 200 passenger cruiser that has been retrofitted to look like a wood pirate ship, and they did it well! The capacity could have been more but they chose to have booths and tables rather than rows of seats.

The crew was fantastic, helping us with our son's medical needs (regular breathing treatments), and they had two or three child entertainers which were very good and kept the kids busy the entire time in one way or another.

We stopped a couple times to swim and everyone had a great time walking the plank, over and over into the crystal blue waters of a couple bays. At the mid point of the cruise we stopped at a very nice village beach where everyone disembarked for an hour or two, the kids were taken on a treasure hunt by the pirates and dug up a treasure chest which the pirates fought over and the kids helped fend off the extra baddie. I am smiling while writing here remembering this!

It was a great time and I recommend it for everyone, our son is 4 and he was having a blast with all the other kids from all over the globe. They have done a great job with this one!

Cost is respectable, cost us 45€ for two adults and child, we booked and paid at their website ( http://www.gramvousa.com/Cruises.aspx?id=328&lang=en ), food and drinks were extra, but typically priced as if you were at a village taverna. You know, I like to be surprised, but with the Pirate Fun Cruise was a very pleasant surprise!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank LeeJaleAtilla
Athens, Greece
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Wonderful day excursion”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

A friend recommended this trip so we took the cruise ship from Kissamoss and arrived at Gramvousa. The beach is not so beautiful but the crystal clear water of the sea is worth diving into it despite its coolness. Then we went to Balos lagoon. I don't think I've seen a more breathtaking landscape. Even my children couldn't believe such beauty and we're left speechless . We really enjoyed the stay there as well as the hospitality on the shop. The prices were reasonable.

3 Thank Penny2407
Chania, Greece
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“full day excursion”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We signed up with this excursion from a travel agent in central Chania. We were the first picked up at 8:10 am outside the agency and picked up many people from different stops arriving at the port at 9:30 am. The cruise ship was large and carried people from many buses. It was a nice ship with plenty of shade if you found a seat. We left port and arrived about an hour later at Granvousa beach with castle ruins. The hike up to the castle was steep with a rocky trail but well worth the climb. Granvousa beach was small but beautiful with crystal clear warm water which was appreciated after our climb. We had a about 1 hour and 50 minutes there. Then we took the ship nearby to Balos Beach which was very large, beautiful, had shallow water to cool off in or the deeper cooler ocean water to swim. We rented a beach umbrella for a reasonable price from the ship which was needed for the about 3 hour visit. I saw a lot of burned skin at the end of the visit. Whole familes with children and grandparents were with us. The ship sold beverages, lots of food, and drinks. These beaches had the most beautiful azur blue coloring I've ever seen. We were very happy to have visited.

2 Thank TMS785
Ufa, Bashkortostan, Russia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“stunningly beautiful”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Highly recommend you to visit it. Such a lovely sea and the beach. They say it is a point where three sea are crossed.