“Go for the fish of the day!”
Review of Kanavos

Kanavos
Ranked #8 of 13 Restaurants in Piso Livadi
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We went here for lunch. The restaurant is in a nice location, right on the harbour. We shared a greek salad to start-i love the salads in greece-the tomatoes and olives are amazing! Then I had the fish of the day and my husband had the grilled squid. My fish was delicious. The squid was tasty but could have benefited from a bit more time on the grill in parts. Overall a good experience. The only downside I would mention is the ubiquitous greek cats!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

... The food is average+, but then we never expect more having spent so much time in the Greek Islands on and off over many years. However, some dishes are great, such as the very tasty lunchtime souvlaki and calamari, both were very tasty, along with lovely fresh Greek salad. Our initial sunday evening meal on arrival of veal stifado, lovely sauce & onions, meat unfortunately overdone for me. Watch the house red wine as a bit harsh and the Paros-type tsithkoudia ( Raki in Crete)- huge measures. I was told I would "Sleep like an angel", more like "Diablo" the devil with a sore head I thought! During our stay in Piso Livadi we ate at Kanavos three times because our hosts were so gracious with any constructive feedback we gave in the kindest way. The host/owners, Anna & Nico are absolutely fabulous and worth a visit just for them, we miss them already! I, Calypso as I was affectionately referred to, was adopted by them it seems, they are so friendly, "loving" caring and anything to please and be hospitable, especially when you show an interest. I was lucky, my partner speaks very good Greek. There is no pretentiousness here, Kanavos is a simple and honest taverna type restaurant in a most beautiful setting. The taverna has a small eating space immediately outside, and a large and pretty waterside terrasse a few strides away. Beautiful for sunset and dazzling brilliant sunshine at lunch. It's certainly service with a smile, but much more, many, many laughs, hugs, kisses, and generosity with wine or their equivalent to Raki when they want to keep you happy. Obviously the majority of clientele are tourists, with a few locals from time to time-usually late at night-that's when things get entertaining.
While I am a foodie, I would go back, as things can change, any place can have an off day; I'd go even if they didn't. When you don't have any expectations, everything else is a bonus!
YAMAS!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Ate here five times in four days, alone and as a group. Owned by a lovely couple who always gave friendly and efficient service. Their salads and other starters were all fresh and first class. Although they have a good traditional and grill menu, I only seemed to eat fish as a main course and could not believe the quality, freshness or price. Many restaurants in the Cyclades seen only to serve frozen calamari but, here, it was fresh from the boat in the morning to the table in the evening. I have never tasted fresher or more succulent calamari in 30 years of visiting many Greek islands and would recommend the Kanavos to everyone visiting Piso Livadi.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We've been to Piso Livadi many times and always rely on the delicious, authentic greek cooking at Kanavos. While there are several small taverns in this quaint fishing village, Kanavos has the BEST octopus and many other yummy dishes...the best tavern in the village.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

This is a great restaurant with a nice view of the harbour. The giant beans were the best I've ever had anywhere. The stuffed peppers were great and the Greek salad was excellent. We didn't eat fish this visit but it looked great. Service was perfect. The complimentary yogurt with cherries was spectacular. I highly recommend this restaurant.