“Sushi without Salmon!!”

Ranked #16 of 46 Restaurants in Westville
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Ahoy Me Mateys! Join us at Westville John Dory's - the best seafood restaurant that the whole family can enjoy! Our menu has an ocean of choices for all our seafood lovers! From fresh hand-rolled sushi to tempura battered fish & chips. Shiver your timbers! Our catch of the day, prawns, calamari and fresh oysters are a reason to abandon ship and come ashore! Our kids' menu has a variety of yummy meals for our young mateys too and we also have a cool kids' play area with boatloads of fun activities for little sailors! What are you waiting for? Dock your boat at John Dory's in Westville for arrr-mazing food and service.
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Having decided on a Sushi night we visited our closest Jon Dory's. Their menu had changed and we did not find the range of sushi as exciting as usual - anyway - we ordered a platter of sushi each ( heavy on the salmon as it is our favourite), I had a Mussel pot for starters and my wife ordered Fish as her mail course. The Mussel pot was very tasty - and then the wheels fell off!!! We were told that they did not have any Salmon. We were disappointed but told the waitress to bring us the remaining items on the platter. The shrimp nigiri were totally bland. The rice was cooked to a paste with no individual grains visible. The deep fried battered fish was full of bones but at least it had flavour. Then came the shock - our bill arrived and we were charged for the sushi platters including the Salmon - when we complained the manageress deducted a minimal amount which was more insulting than annoying!! Definitely our last visit to John Dorys!!!.

1  Thank KZNTravel

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have always associated John Dory's with fish, and not being a lover of fish, I have not frequented this restaurant. So it was with great surprise that I found that they also do a steak. It is only now that I see words "fish and grill" after their name, I think I was reading it as grilled fish. The wife and I both ordered a medium blackened steak. It was done to absolute perfection, very tasty and tender. I will definitely be returning to John Dory's, Westville, Pavillion for more of the same.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

nothing special, they are tryoing now the sushi which is actually not bad, but the variety of choice was extremely limited . fishmonger or Ocean basket offer much better , obviously at slightly or deefinitely higher prices . if one looks for simple fish meal before or after a cinema maybe ok

Reviewed 1 November 2012

I ordered a prawn and chicken curry. It was filled with cut green chillies and burnt my mouth badly.

1  Thank Kathy A
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Durban
Reviewed 24 December 2007

Used to be my favorite... then they started to use cheap bacon and changed thier special from fillet to rump... really bad move. I have gone from eating there once a week to NEVER!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook