“Peaceful setting”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vilcabamba
Alpine, Wyoming
“Peaceful setting”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Beautiful garden setting overlooking the "Sacred Valley" of Vilcabamba. Rooms are varied and unique (stone washbasin, for instance); bed was very comfortable. We stayed in a standard room which was more than adequate albeit somewhat dark. On the plus side, a large, comfortable, private patio with hammocks allowed us to enjoy the sunrise and sunsets and listen to the birds. Breakfast of small fruit bowl, two eggs and bread from the onsite bakery is included. Dinner menu is varied. The Tilapia was excellent, as was the lasagne. Papas Fritas (French fries) Are made from scratch and are perfection. The chicken breast was not up the previous meals. The staff was gracious and accommodating. In summary, and wonderful place, great setting, attentive staff. We will return.

Room Tip: If you opt for the standard room, be prepared to climb a few stairs up the hill. But the privacy is...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank wydafish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Not that far away from the town, but it does feels like getting disconnected from the civilization.

Everything in here is surrounded by nature and there are lots of hammocks from where you can lay on and have an invigorating rest. I knew Vilcabamba was a lovely place, but did not imagine it was going to be THIS awesome, and this place just made the experience. I want to go back soon!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Luis-Alberto R
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Madre Tierra is paradise! Think north shore Hawaiian islands minus the beach- same vegetation, warm weather without being too hot, hammocks everywhere, designer rooms- each one different, healthy food, and great people.

The owners, Peter and Gail, and their daughter Allison, are amazing, as are their staff! We originally scheduled 4 days with them and ended up staying a month, muchly because of their hospitality and flexibility. In our month stay we became almost like family. The longer we stayed at Madre Tierra the more we settled in and before we knew it it's "Hotel California"!

Breakfasts are included and they're fabulous! Every day we had fresh squeezed juice, awesome coffee, eggs any style, toast from homemade bread, and the most delicious local fruit. That's what I had but there was a larger menu that included bacon, French toast, oatmeal, among other things.
The lunch and dinner menus were also great with a wide variety of both vegetarian and meat dishes. And absolutely try the best guacamole , yummmm! All the food is fresh, local, and very good quality.

You can walk to town, which is quaint, fun, hip, with some good restaurants with plenty gringos and lots of great local Ecuadorians to chat it up with. Town is a nice walk or a $1 taxi ride away.

And I almost forgot the Spa...great treatments with lovely masseuses. You'll want to schedule a few treatments and just melt into Heaven.

Needless to say, we'll be back.

Room Tip: I gave it 5 stars for fitness because we stayed in a great room up a whole lot of outdoor stairs pas...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Malia E
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My situation was very unique when I decided to come and stay in Vilcabamba. This place is beautiful and so peaceful. Our experience was so pleasant even my kids mentioned how polite and friendly everyone was! Mr Peter and his wife are those type of people that make you feel heard and understood. They showed integrity, honesty and compassion with some unexpexted (personal) challenges. They along with everything else mentioned above make this place outstanding. I highly recommend Madre Tierra.

Room Tip: We loved room #26
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CarolinaProcel
Woodstock, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Having stayed at Izhcayluma, we decided to give Madre Tierra a try. This resort was also highly recommend on Tripadvisor.

It was a little more pricey than Izhcayluma but you got more with it, including breakfast. The showers were more reliable the room had a few more comforts and a bit more space.

Madre Tierra is built onto the side of a hill. There are lots of stairs to climb up and down. Depending on your cabin location it could be quite a bit! I have seen people complain about all the stairs, so if you don't like stairs then maybe you should stay at home. There is almost no flat area in Vilcabamba so if you go there be prepared.

The staff were extremely friendly. We always got smiles and warm greetings. They were very knowledgeable about the area and happy to share it.

Our room was clean and bright and had a great view overlooking the valley into Vilcabamba. The grounds are lush with plant life and you really get the feeling of being away from it all!

Our one regret is that we didn't stay there longer. There are lots of hikes in the area, much relaxing to be done and friendly people to meet.

I would highly recommend Madre Tierra. This is a beautiful part of the world to explore and Madre Tierra is a great place to do it from.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tim C
Vilcabamba, Ecuador
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Such a lovely place, such a lovely place.
I've stayed at this hotel twice. Once in October 2012 for a week, and the other being in June 2013. Since then, I have moved to Vilcabamba not too far off to the hotel. And in all honesty, Madre Tierra is a second home to me.

Madre Tierra has made me feel the most welcomed, accepted, and have an overall feeling of happiness inside, here in Ecuador. I come there to relax every so often (since I live around) and the people and the place and the whole vibe of it calms me down. It's a great place for talking with friends, reading, getting work done, or having something to eat. Their food has a nice range, and I like their specials a lot. Most of it is fresh and very nicely presented and cooked. I appreciate the time and love they put in all of it.
The people there have been so generous to me and I feel as though I need to thank them endlessly because of everything they've provided for me. The staff in the kitchen are lovely as well and smile quite a lot, which of course makes the food better. The staff in general always seem to be extremely hard-working, but carrying smiles around a lot of the time. And as I mentioned, the people have made me feel so accepted.
At the very start, I was a bit iffy about moving to Vilcabamba, but after a few days of staying at Madre Tierra, it made me feel better. Between the abundant accommodation of plants and the little corners and hammocks that you can read in, to the people who you can have nearly endless talks with... this place is a big piece of comfort and joy. The environment is breathtaking in many senses of the word. Please come and add it to your life.

To be honest, I can't say enough good things about this hotel to do it much justice. Words can only go so far...
You'll just have to come visit and view it for yourselves.
And trust me on this one, it's most definitely worth it.

Room Tip: Both times I've stayed at the hotel, I've had the same room. I think it was #16. It's a...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
eldueno, Owner at Madre Tierra Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 December 2014
Thanks Martine!
It is good to have you and your family in our extended family. It is people like you who make our sacrifices worth while.
Blessings,
Peter and Gail
Bedford, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I had been traveling Peru and Ecuador for some time and was looking for a place to rest and relax for a while and found the perfect place at Madre Tierra. Set in beautiful grounds with each of the cabins individually decorated, mine was very clean with a large bathroom and shower, a great patio with a hammock which I loved, perfect place to relax with a book and watch the birds or just dose! The owners Peter and Gail make you very welcome and really want you to enjoy your stay. Lovely big open air restaurant good to go for wonderful smoothies and excellent meals very reasonably priced with great daily specials, all food is locally grown and served by friendly staff. To make the place even better it has the most amazing spa, I highly recommend the 3 hr relaxation special, heaven, and the prices are 1/4 of what you would pay in America or Europe. I would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank joy_reeves
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilcabamba
Howard Johnson Hotel Loja
#2 of 10 in Vilcabamba
Villa Beatriz Lodge
Villa Beatriz Lodge
#6 of 10 in Vilcabamba

Been to Madre Tierra Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!