“Perfect place to call "home" while in Vilcambamba, Ec”

Madre Tierra Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vilcabamba
Victoria, Texas, United States
“Perfect place to call "home" while in Vilcambamba, Ec”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at Madre Tierra for a week. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. My view from the patio was breathtaking. The staff, from top to bottom, were exceptionally friendly and helpful. They have an awesome kitchen that serves three great meals every day. You could easily spend your entire time in Vilcambamba at Madre Tierra. There is too much else to see and do though. And the staff will help you tailor your visit to your desires.
When I return to Vilcambamba you can find me at Madre Tierra.

Room Tip: There are rooms for every budget. Most of the views are exceptional
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Randy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My it seems like both a lifetime and a moment ago since I visited Madre Tierra. My only regret was that I stayed such a short time. The accommodations were magical, the environment healing, and the food fresh and delicious. There really is only one choice when in The Vilcabamba area, and that choice is Madre Tierra!

Room Tip: Some rooms have more stairs than others,so please let them know if you need additional consideration...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Nels2014
Vilcabamba, Ecuador
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

The food is excellent and the staff are very nice and responsive. The grounds are beautiful and there are great views from some of the rooms. If you have any kind of respiratory issues - I have asthma - avoid the rooms on the lower level just below the restaurant as I found them very musty, a common problem in Ecuador.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank 1travlgal
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I just returned from a week in Vilcabamba and spent my entire stay at Madre Tierra - and I can't say enough about what a perfect place it was to kick back, relax and soak in the tranquility of Vilcabamba.

The staff and service were great. Everyone learned my name and helped me with both recommendations and inquiries. The food was great and the grounds were both lush and soothing to the idea. The vistas surrounding the hotel were soothing all on their own. FInally, conversation with all of the other foreigners finding their way through Ecuador was stimulating and interesting. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The rates sort of seemed to relate to the best views and size. I had a room for $39, It was generous...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Iguanab1
Woodbridge, California
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I just returned from a stay at Madre Tierra and must report I had a great time. I initially booked just two nights with the intention of seeing other parts of Ecuador. When I asked Peter about even dropping one night he said, “Most people want to stay longer than originally planned once they stay here.” Well, he was right on! I ended up staying 5 nights and enjoyed every minute of my stay. The property is very clean and comfortable and is quite luxurious, especially when compared to what’s offered at a typical hostel. I especially enjoyed the furniture and hammock on my balcony. Those helped me to really enjoy the fabulous view from my room. The staff is very attentive and the restaurant offers up some tasty fare. One item that really stood out was a simple smoothie. It was possibly the best I’ve ever had, full of flavorful fresh fruits. There are no TV’s in the rooms and that was just fine. I didn’t miss a TV one bit and that added to the charm and rustic features of the property. I strongly recommend a visit to Madre Tierra if your travels take you to Vilcabamba! By the way, you can’t beat the weather there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Popofsh
Rockland, Maine
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Beautiful grounds, wonderful food, fabulous views. Peter & Gail are great, informative and always helpful. The staff are all gracious and sweet. You can’t go wrong here. We were there for 5 days and I wish it could have been longer.

Room Tip: Some rooms are a little small. Try and get a larger one, up high is nice for the views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tom K
Alpine, Wyoming
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Beautiful garden setting overlooking the "Sacred Valley" of Vilcabamba. Rooms are varied and unique (stone washbasin, for instance); bed was very comfortable. We stayed in a standard room which was more than adequate albeit somewhat dark. On the plus side, a large, comfortable, private patio with hammocks allowed us to enjoy the sunrise and sunsets and listen to the birds. Breakfast of small fruit bowl, two eggs and bread from the onsite bakery is included. Dinner menu is varied. The Tilapia was excellent, as was the lasagne. Papas Fritas (French fries) Are made from scratch and are perfection. The chicken breast was not up the previous meals. The staff was gracious and accommodating. In summary, and wonderful place, great setting, attentive staff. We will return.

Room Tip: If you opt for the standard room, be prepared to climb a few stairs up the hill. But the privacy is...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank wydafish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilcabamba
Howard Johnson Hotel Loja
#2 of 10 in Vilcabamba
Villa Beatriz Lodge
Villa Beatriz Lodge
#6 of 10 in Vilcabamba

Been to Madre Tierra Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!