“This is just a great place!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vilcabamba
Hosteria Izhcayluma
Ranked #1 of 10 Vilcabamba B&B and Inns
Vilcabamba, Ecuador
“This is just a great place!”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

This is just a great place to relax, hike, party, meet good people and have a great time. I recomment everyone to stay a few nights at this friendly Hostal/ Lodge!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2012

While some reviewers have not been kind to this hotel, I found it to be one of the best places I have ever stayed. It has a fantastic view of the valley. The rooms are comfortable, and the showers are hot. The mattresses are a little hard but this didn't stop me from sleeping. The pool was cool and refreshing.
The food in the restaurant is reasonably priced and first rate.
I had a massage (for $12) which was great.
It is easy to walk into town and you can book excursions through the desk.
If you do book, ask for a room away from the road as it is a little noisy.

Room Tip: As for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 612Brian612
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We spent six nights in this garden paradise in January 2012. The staff is e. xcellent, friendly, briht and energetic. The 75-minute massage for $18 is not to be missed in their private spa. The one thing I would avoid is the van ride on ELITE TOURS from Loja to Cuenca. A nightmare. Select any other supplier. But we'll be back to Izhcayluma soon.,

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 January 2012

A friend had recommended this place to me for a relaxation and for sure she was right. The grounds are spectacular and lush, the staff incredibly helpful and accommodating and the food at the restaurant great. I walked into the town during the day but dined at Izhcayluma each night and went to the bar each night which was a great place to meet new people.
The massage and treatment room I was expecting a t a hosteria to just be one basic room but it's a beautiful area with river rock everywhere, relaxing beds for pre and post treatments and a full glass window to look out at the lush environment.
I stayed in a private cabin which was just perfect and I enjoyed reading my book in the hammock each afternoon after a hike, horse-ride or trip to town. The bed is very comfortable and the bathroom very spacious. A previous review noted rats on the roof but they are not rats, they're opossum which I heard one night and asked about. Big difference.
So all in all Hosteria Izhcaylamu did exactly what I hoped it would, provided me with a relaxing, fun and zero stress week. Thanks

Room Tip: Splurge and get a private cabin
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 January 2012

16-year son shared a dorm ($10/night including breakfast), while we enjoyed a room with a fantastic view. Friendly and very helpful people at the reception. Uncomplicated, the restaurant is not so bad and inexpensive. We stayed longer than expected and fully enjoyed our stay there.

Room Tip: choose a suite with a balcony, absolutely worth it for the view.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I stayed in this hotel on a trip through South America with my husband last year and just happened to come across it on TripAdviser now. I was really surprised to see some of the negative comments posted.

I got ill about half way through our stay there and Peter was totally helpful and got me in touch with a friend in Loja to accompany me to hospital and translate for me. I thought there was a good atmosphere and staff were friendly and chatty. We really enjoyed our stay. The food was great too and our room was spotless. It's not 5 star accommodation but if you're backpacking (and we're not in our 20s anymore either), it's a lovely and relaxing place to stay. The only complaint I would have was that they didn't serve dinner after 8pm.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 4 January 2012

One of our favorite places in Ecuador. Sitting on a hill overlooking Vilcabamba the location is set in a forest of trees and flowers with butterflies and bird buzzing around. The rooms have style and great showers and everything is workin very well (German efficiency). The restaurant is good and there's a landscape of pools and small canals for you to refresh yourself. Last but not least it has a bar and playing area which includes pool, table tennis and a human sized chess board.

It's easy to stay here a few days without even leaving the location... ;-)

• Stayed December 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilcabamba
Madre Tierra Resort & Spa
Grand Victoria Boutique Hotel
Jardin Escondido
Jardin Escondido
#4 of 10 in Vilcabamba

Been to Hosteria Izhcayluma? Share your experiences!