“peace, quiet, tranquillity, name your price range”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vilcabamba
Hosteria Izhcayluma
Ranked #1 of 10 Vilcabamba B&B and Inns
Atlanta, GA
“peace, quiet, tranquillity, name your price range”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

An almost endless array of price points depending on the type of accommodation you choose. The staff speak a number of different languages.
Good food, a bit pricy for Ecuador, but you won't leave hungry.
If you have problems walking on uneven rock pathways, you may have a bit of difficulty. In any event bring good walking shoes.
It's mainly a hiking center, they provide maps.
Beautiful views of the area and Vilcabamba.

Room Tip: I think they're all good at their price points.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 7 March 2014

During our 3 months journey through Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador, Izhcayluma was the clear-cut best! It had stunning views over the Vilcabamba valley right from the dining terrace, it had great food and comfortable beds.
For me, the stay was rather special. I had a severe horseback-riding accident during my stay in Vilcabamba and had to stay at the local hospital overnight and then had to travel to Loja for special treatment after that. The staff of Izhcayluma not only was there besides me (even though I was traveling with 2 friends) at the hospital and actually escorted me to Loja, but also didn't charge me for the night when I stayed at the hospital even though I booked it at the hostel.
Thanks to them, we could all stay a couple of more days so that I can at least partially recover from my accident. I'm still indebted to the support and hospitality of Izhcayluma! Thanks so much!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We arranged to stay at Ishycaluma for the 4 days spanning the last of February / first of March Holidays. We were particularly looking forward to our visit to Vilcabamba and the many positive reviews of this specific Hosteria. After 3 weeks of Spanish school we decided this must be the Ideal place to relax and enjoy. Overall it was a disappointment in that the Hosteria is definitely not ' a small piece of Paridise'. The grounds are reasonably well laid out, the view from the restaurant is good, when it's not raining or overcast with the low lying clouds. Our cabana was #14 and it faced in the opposite direction overlooking a small uninteresting valley. From our viewing of 3 other Cabanas they are average in layout, great to have a balcony, but try as we might we could NOT avoid a number of mosquitoes that came out to feed each night. The abundance of moths are to be expected but how they keep avoiding our careful entry / exit was a mystery. The Safety box in the room, which my examination suggested it was as all locks are intended ' for Honest People', left me carrying my Coin of the Realm with me. The wooden door to the Safety Box needs some work as it's wedged in shape. As for the food the condition of the menu's suggest the only aspect that has changed over the years is the price. Average in taste and presentation. Considering other comparable Hosteris, Breakfast at Izchcayluma is NOT included. As we had to leave our Cabana for our last intended night, we were offered a musty room at an exorbitant price, so much so, we decided we would look elsewhere. I realise reviews can be subjective however I do hope I've been as objective as possible in stating I cannot recommend Izhcayluma when shopping around will produce other very viable alternatives.

Room Tip: It would be helpful in your choice were you able to see for yourself as location, facilities, views...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed in room 3; there are visible cracks between the ceiling and wall where mosquitoes entered freely. I kept the room door closed all day and night, only opening it to enter or exit the room. The main reason for choosing a place in Vilcabamba was for sleep; I did not get more than one or two hours each night. I told the reception fellow, a friendly Dutch fellow, about the mosquito-infestation on my 2nd night, at ca. 815pm.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Seattle
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I showed up at Izhcayluma with no reservation and a vague plan that I would stay for 3 days. I ended up staying for half of my Ecuador vacation, because Vilcabamba and Izhcayluma were such an incredible and special place.

Izhcayluma is a well-managed German-run property, with friendly and warm Ecuadorian and international staff. The bartender was excellent, and the hotel bar is the social center of the property. It's not just for drinking; there are table games, darts, and always good conversation with people from all over the world.

The restaurant is an incredible bright spot, with reasonable prices, a clean and open kitchen (you can watch the staff prepare everything), and--of all things--a great selection of German dishes! I ate a few meals away from the property for convenience's sake, but nothing in Vilcabamba came close to the quality of the food at Izhcayluma. Word got around fast, and the restaurant was always packed--not only with hotel guests, but with people staying all over Vilcabamba.

I stayed 4 nights in the most expensive room type, a $39 casita, and 1 night in the cheapest room type, an $8.50 dorm bunk (there was nothing else, I had no reservation so took what I could get). The casita was small and basic but tastefully appointed with a king size bed. A deck allows you to enjoy the fresh air, sunshine and amazing view, and a hammock is a nice touch (although beware the embrace of the hammock, you may be tempted to spend the entire day in one). While I expected the $8.50 dorm bed to be a major downgrade, it wasn't. There was a large walk-in shower, just like in the casita, and the dorm is split into an upper and lower level so it doesn't feel crowded and noisy like hostels elsewhere. The bed was comfortable and, since I just needed crash space until the early morning Cuenca bus, it worked out fine for me.

Izhcayluma offers a direct bus for $15 to Cuenca. This costs only $3 more than using public transportation and saves about 90 minutes of travel time. Definitely recommended if you are traveling between Vilcabamba and Cuenca in either direction. There is one roundtrip per day and the service is excellent.

Overall, I was sad to leave. I am a very tough reviewer, and this is one of the very best places in the world I have stayed.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Colorado
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This Hosteria attracts Ecuadorian and international visitors at reasonable prices. Owner is German, staff are local, including people giving massages in a massage room with all glass views of area. Food is great, and area is beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for good view with porch
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This place was our last stop on our way to Peru and after we entered the desert of the north of Peru we were sure, we should have stayed a few more days at Izhcayluma... The place has a beautiful garden and amazing views over the valley of Vilcabamba. There is a swimming pool, a bar, 3 friendly dogs and you can ever drink natural spring water from the tap!
We had a big room with a double bed and bunk bed for ourselves.
The restaurant is good and has great views. The food does miss a bit of taste sometimes, but the portions are big and in general good value for money.
The staff was very helpful in explaining the different hikes that the hostel offers and the tall guy even helped with planning our trip to Peru. He made us a travel itinerary for the 3 weeks we had left, so we wouldn't miss any of the highlight.
The only danger of this hostel is that you end up staying longer than planned and have to adjust your travel schedules...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilcabamba
Madre Tierra Resort & Spa