La Locanda di Alia - AliaJazzHotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel La Falconara(Castrovillari)
US$98
US$89
Orbitz.com
Hotel Jolly(Castrovillari)
  • Room Service
Hotel Regina(Morano Calabro)
Hotel Il Boschetto(Viggianello)
All reviewsla locanda dithe ownercakelate afternoonpollino national parknext morningrisottoaliaregioncalabriastopdinnerwinesundayexpectationsmancappuccino
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We just returned from a two week vacation to southern Italy (Calabria, Basilicata and Puglia) to learn more about where my ancestors originated. When researching and planning our trip we noticed one travel guide describe La Locanda di ALIA as the "gastronomic temple" of Calabria. As people who sincerely appreciate great food, we made a commitment to stop in Castrovillari. We stayed at the hotel which had olive, fig, walnut and pomegranate trees surrounding the room. Our dinner was the highlight of the stay. I think the Alia brothers do a great job at taking locally available ingredients and preparing them in a very interesting and savory manner. As good as San Francisco, CA or Boston, MA (our (hometown"). A pasta (Candele) given a firey treatment with the locally prepared N'djua sausage, Shrimp in a zucchini "puff" and swordfish with pears and onion were delicioso! The wine was a local Archidero which paired perfectly with our entrees. Deserts were excellent as well and paired with some locally prepared liqueurs specific to each selection. The owners and staff were some of the most helpful and friendliest people you could hope to meet. I knew that when we left La Locanda di ALIA it would be difficult to top this dining experience. I was correct even though the food we had throughout our voyage was consistently excellent. If you like great dining at a reasonable price it is well worth the trip to Castrovillari and La Locanda di ALIA.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick B
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We spent a night here in August. First impressions were "strange place"! There was nobody around and the hotel had a rather deserted feel. We were shown to our room which was very comfortable albeit a little dark. However, the dinner that evening was probably one of the best we have had in Italy and we travel here a lot. The service was excellent and the food delicious. At breakfast the following morning there was a selection of home made cakes & biscuits with freshly squeezed juice. If you are travelling in Calabria be sure to stop here - you won't regret it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2011

My husband and I spent a weekend at Locanda di Alia. Staff was very friendly and accomodating allowing us a late check out on the last day which was great as we could relax by the swimming pool and get ready for the late afternoon wedding that we were to attend. Our room was of a good size, with comfortable bed, good storage and air conditioning; there was a separate hall with a desk and a longe chair and an outside private space with table and chairs. Food was well beyond our expectations. For lunch we had starters and pasta main courses; all the dishes had really fresh and local flavours. We were recommended a local rose wine that was very reasonably proced and great to discover. We finished the meal with few shots of home made liquors called rosolio that we had never tasted before. Breakfast was great too: home made cookies, biscuits and sponge cakes with home made jams (the chocholate spong cake with the chilli pepper jam was awesome). Also the local cheese and bread were amazing. I would definitely recommend Locanda di Alia to everyone and go back for a stay or a meal when I am back to South Italy!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank onlythetruth_19
Reviewed 25 April 2011

That place is wonderful. People working there are so welcoming, nice and polite. Excellent restaurant and service. I can reccommend it to everyone who needs to relax.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Okay, maybe the word hate is too strong... Let me explain myself : the hospitality was great, I remember we got there on a Sunday and EVERYTHING was closed, including restaurants, and we were starving. So someone who works there proposed to drive us until we finally found a place to eat. And for the rest of the stay, the staff was very friendly.
It's a charming place to stay, we feel that we are in touch with nature (that includes being in touch with bugs and mosquitoes: I had lots of mosquito bites there). The room was big, so was the bathroom. There is a small swimming pool (unfortunately I didn't have the chance to swim in it). Breakfast was delicious and I still remember the home made biscottis. They have a restaurant that was highly recommend to us, but unfortunately, as it was Sunday, it was closed (and we were really disappointed not to dine there). There isn't much close to the hotel, but we enjoyed the lovely natural views of the green mountains close by.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends